PDA

View Full Version : ABC Radio Compares Furniture Makers and Footballers

Wood Borer
21st March 2004, 09:25 PM
Today on ABC Radio 774 (3LO) a compere was speaking to a senior person for one of the AFL clubs (North Melbourne I think) about the recent rape allegations and footballers.

The compere asked the AFL official is he thought that a convention of furniture makers would be likely to behave in a similar manner. With a bit of a giggle the AFL official said "no way".

I don't quite know what to make of this comment. Are we seen as conservative old fuddy duddies or perhaps too engrossed in woodwork or what?

What is a concern though, the radio compere and the AFL official seem to both think you can generalise about people who have similar interests.

My conclusion is that the ABC radio sports compere and that AFL official have clearly demonstrated their ignorance for generalising, have made light of a serious matter and have had a strange dig at furniture makers.

May the next chair or bench they both sit on puncture their pea brains.

- Wood Borer (About to go on holidays in Central QLD for 2 weeks see you all when I return)

barnsey
21st March 2004, 10:05 PM
There is a suggestion that the collective IQ of a group is 1.

Clearly these "groups" have different qualities;
AFL groups - 7
NRL groups - 3
Administrators and Media - 1

Ok - that is all subjective and while I do not condone any of the goings on or support the defences of any of the groups currently under scrutiny, you must admit that this theory leads us to the premise that the IQ of the alleging victims is greater on every possible measure of assessment.

We all have heard the stories and a lot of them are undoubtedly folklore, some no doubt have some element of truth. I am sure we can all identify with stories from all sorts of groups whether they be sportspeople, business people, uni students - give me a group and I'll bet you could find a story. High profiles and as a result financial resources are going to be a target so those in that position need to be more aware than others perhaps of the possibilities of exploitation.

In the end it is a matter of unilateral respect for others - an attitude that is far too thinly spread in today's society.

In days of yore the chair you refer to was used to terminate the life of those so disposed. Puncturing their pea brains seems hardly appropriate for them.

OK - I'll get off the soap box - but with all that is going on in the world today it amazes me that we should all of a sudden start to concentrate on modern social morals without any consideration to the contribution that society in general has created.

Read indigenous history and see how good that makes you feel. Todays supposed offenders are minor in comaprison.

ubeaut
22nd March 2004, 12:03 AM
Gawd I hope you're not referring to Administrators as in these forums! :mad: The collective IQ of , Myself and the Phantom is higher than the total number of professional football players in the AFL and the NRL combined.

Neil ;)
Administrator - Not dick-head

barnsey
22nd March 2004, 12:08 AM
Apologies mein host:eek:

Football Administrators was the specified reference whilst there may be some others who qualify - current company excluded.:)

ubeaut
22nd March 2004, 12:11 AM
'tis OK - appleogies axcepted.

Jus coz wer smart don meen we cn spall.

barnsey
22nd March 2004, 12:41 AM
At this time of night it is a wonder I can see much less spell!!:rolleyes:

Still I was expecting a little more animated response and am glad to relocate it to "Nothing to do with Woodwork" but I find the whole episodes disturbing and can't believe the "more righteous than thou" attitudes that arise until something bob's up and bites them on the a@#$.

If you don't have any skeletons in the closet then good on ya but I'm a bit of a sceptic and believe we all have something that we might have done differently.

My daughter in your part of the world is one but I'm not about to destroy lives to try and have something physically that my emotions have every day if that would cause pain or trouble.

We all have our reasons and motivations - legal and/or illegal - moral and/or immoral. Tolerance, understanding and respect allows us to see the best in others and I guess my point to the original post is that woodworkers - although it be a generalisation - tend to be open to the views of others.

Perhaps others would do well to try and adopt the openess and understanding across all aspects of the world around us.

OK time for bed!!!

Jamie