PDA

View Full Version : WIP: Bar Stools

Robomanic
14th September 2008, 08:16 PM
Finally embarked on a pair of barstools which is something I have wanted to do for a while.

The legs started out fine but they are 900mm long and tended to wip a bit. Progress was slow so I detoured for a bit to build a steady rest. The large wheels do increase the minimum size you can turn but they are silent and that means more to me at this stage.

83583 83581

Drilling was accomplished on the drill press with the table set to the correct angle. A v-block would have been ideal to keep the piece centered under the drill but this got me by for now. (a longer guide and a second clamp at the top end would be better). The holes and spigots are 25mm in diameter. They are parallel sided but next time I would like to use tapered drills for a wedged fit.

To mark out the holes for the spreaders to be 90deg apart, I marked one line with the pencil running along the tool rest as a baseline then wrapped paper around to measure the circumference. Fold the paper in half and half again and you have quarters :) From the baseline you can use one of these quarters to offset the neighbouring spreaders by 90deg. (indexing head is coming)

83586 83587

Nice to see it starting to look like a stool :)

The seat was glued this morning, and I am leaving the urethane to go off overnight.

Now that all the lengths and angles are sorted its brother should follow not too far behind.

Any comments, suggestions and tips are welcome, thanks.
(Sorry for the attachments, I wanted to put the pics inline but can't see how)

DJ’s Timber
14th September 2008, 08:28 PM
(Sorry for the attachments, I wanted to put the pics inline but can't see how)

Looks good :2tsup:

As for the putting the pics inline, place the cursor where you want them and then click on http://image-mirror.cyanide.com.au/woodworkforums/images/editor/attach.giffrom the top of the reply box and select the pic from the list then repeat for each one :2tsup:.

You can go back and do it by selecting Edit and then Go Advanced

Skew ChiDAMN!!
14th September 2008, 08:39 PM
It looks like you have the technical side under control and, from what I can see in the pix, you've done a good job of matching all four legs. I bet it wasn't as easy as a casual reading of your post suggests, eh? :D

The only quibble I have (and it's just a quibble, not a criticism) is a matter of aesthetics... I don't think you've turned your shadow lines deep enough to give them proper form; they almost look as though you've engraved them, rather than turned them. I say this, 'cos looking at only the thumbnail of the assembled legs they almost look dead straight.

Apart from that, excellent work so far! Kudos to you! :2tsup:

Robomanic
14th September 2008, 08:49 PM
Thanks Skew,

I agree that the features do not carry a lot of authority over the piece. They are only pine and I did not want to narrow then down too far. If I was making more I would definitely choose (any) hardwood.

Ed Reiss
15th September 2008, 06:15 AM
You've dun' good so far!!!:2tsup:.....the end result should turn out to be super!

Cheers,

Ed :D

Rum Pig
15th September 2008, 08:37 AM
Well done :2tsup::2tsup:

Is this your fist attempt at a stool?

Robomanic
15th September 2008, 03:46 PM
Yep first stools.

I have made some other traditional turned and jointed machines for weaving and the like in the past.

I am working through a bit of a back-log but the next project in this line will be a set of cottage style chairs and dining table. Won't be marking those out by hand though :C

I was a bit unsure about strength around the bottom of the legs so went with something that looked about right. I might try and dig up some rules of thumb for next time instead of just winging-it.

Any chair makers out there like to offer some advice on what sizes you can get away with when you are drilling into legs like this?

Thanks for the comments guys

Robomanic
21st September 2008, 06:17 PM
:U

I am pretty happy with the way this guy turned out. First things first though.

The seats were turned by attaching the top surface to the face plate with short screws (the only time i have ever used all 8 holes to hold a piece down...:oo:). A recess was turned into the base for the chuck to expand into and the piece mounted in the chuck. The top was hollowed slightly to locate your soft bits and in doing so the screw holes were turned out.

I have a habit of bolting down the closest off cut when it comes to gluing up odd shapes, and the legs are held in place with 4 chocks on the bench. An old chuck body i have hung into as a handy weight came into service again to keep downward pressure on.
84102 84103

We wanted to match the existing furniture so LOML got to it and after a coat of sealer, coat of stain this is the first top coat...

Ed Reiss
22nd September 2008, 06:20 AM
RBM...an ambitious project that "turned" (groan) out very well:2tsup::2tsup::welldone:

Damn big chuck you used for a weight....maybe Cliff could use it for his 4' lathe!!!

Cheers,

Ed :D

Robomanic
22nd September 2008, 09:08 AM
The chuck is left over from my scrounging days - just missing jaws that I was going to mill up because I had access to a vertical mill at the time, but never got aRound to it

(:doh: couldn't help myself....hehe)

Rum Pig
22nd September 2008, 09:08 AM
well niceYou have done very well:2tsup:nice finish :2tsup:

Now the rest of your stools for your mates:D

Robomanic
29th September 2008, 07:50 PM
Finished off the second stool and now the pair is complete. I though I would include a picture of the marking gauge I used to true off the bottom of the legs :;.

Had a lot of fun with these and LOML thinks I am :cool: so I go :D.

84723 84724

All clear for the pallet challenge now (actually I have made a solid start). Who would want to go back to work?

Ed Reiss
29th September 2008, 11:51 PM
RBM..... absolutely top notch work!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

flynnsart
30th September 2008, 09:20 AM
They look great, they stained up well too.

Donna

pitbull
1st October 2008, 10:48 AM
They look great Robo. :2tsup:

Woodwould
1st October 2008, 12:46 PM
Top job! :2tsup: A stool for the new shed is on my priority list now.

Robomanic
2nd October 2008, 12:45 AM
They look great Robo. :2tsup:

careful, :rolleyes: there is another Robo on this forum who outranks me by a long way and I should not be confused with :q (and I only have one lathe)...

thanks for the compliments. :)

pitbull
2nd October 2008, 02:53 AM
My apologies Robo,:doh: and my apologies Robo.:doh: