PDA

View Full Version : I want an EVS Motor, 2 or 3 HP with controller.

Cliff Rogers
15th September 2008, 04:02 PM
G'day.

I want to upgrade my monster pedestal lathe.

Currently it has a standard 2HP 240 Single phase motor & a wild system of wooden pulleys & V belts.

I want to upgrade it to a 2 or 3HP EVS system.

Can anybody point me at a supplier of a 2 or 3HP EVS motor/controllerr set up?

Big Shed
15th September 2008, 04:07 PM
Here (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Variable-Frequency-Drive-Inverter-New-3HP-2-2KW-VFD_W0QQitemZ160282958533QQihZ006QQcategoryZ105818QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) you go Cliff, just add 3phase motor to taste!:2tsup:

hughie
15th September 2008, 05:07 PM
Cliff,

Hmm, sound like this is gonna be one serious lathe..:o :U

I take you after both motor and controller, these guys deal in AC and DC. Depending on your budget it might pay to look at tewp speed set up to maintain your torque through the speed range, or perhaps go to DC although 3hp in DC would be like buying the harbour bridge.........:U
http://www.roycecross.com.au/ This mob has a good special section with some good prices, other wise your looking at around &1200 for 3hpx 3ph, 240-415 inverter VSD plus freight

The link to the Ebay is out of the USA and would perhaps have too much freight cost built into it

bobsreturn2003
15th September 2008, 06:25 PM
hi cliff have used these for years great stuff. you need a skilled electrician to hook these up and program them for you , not easy up here fnq. there are a lot of motors available on ebay ,and the bedford unit looks ok ,they seem to have a standard hook up , but need to match the motor as these can be 2pole 2480rpm 4 pole 1440 rpm 6pole 700 rpm . i drive some of mine at 75 cycles .ergon cant manage more in rural kuranda it seems . but check if you can find some one who knows .to set it up for you . i think cmg have a motor controller available in one package ,i think glenfords had them in cairns , cheers bob

RETIRED
15th September 2008, 06:32 PM
http://www.cws.au.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_by_category?category_id=1107144886

Big Shed
15th September 2008, 07:15 PM
http://www.cws.au.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_by_category?category_id=1107144886

But they're only 1 hp? Cliff is asking for 2-3hp.

funkychicken
15th September 2008, 08:37 PM
H&F have CMG motors. Linky (http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Products?stockCode=E122)

Woodturnerjosh
15th September 2008, 10:09 PM
Hi Cliff,
When I upgraded my lathe I bought the controller, motor and switch gear from Vermec and it arrived all wired up and ready to put in. I went for a 2hp one as that was big enough for my VL200 and with the three step pulleys it has heaps of low down torque.
Cheers
Josh

Cliff Rogers
15th September 2008, 10:13 PM
Thank you all, I did check out CWS & a few others but I couldn't find anything big enough.
The CMG from Hare & Forbes looks good at that price, thanks FC.

I also got a PM from a bloke in Cairns & I have a place to check tomorrow.

I'll let you know what I find out.

Cliff Rogers
15th September 2008, 10:16 PM
Hi Cliff,
When I upgraded my lathe I bought the controller, motor and switch gear from Vermec and it arrived all wired up and ready to put in. ...

I thought about those blokes 'cos I know they have a 3HP version that they put into some of their lathes but I couldn't see them listed for sale as a separate item.

I'll give them a call too, ta. :2tsup:

Cliff Rogers
17th September 2008, 09:33 AM
Done, I ordered a WEG CFW08 drive & a WEG 2.2Kw (3HP) 6 pole, 3 Φ motor for just a bit under $1100.

The 6 pole will give me more torque that the 4 pole.

Marlin Coast Motor Rewinding will help with the programming & I can do the wiring myself.

I'll post some pics when I have something to show off.

http://www.weg.com.au/

tea lady
17th September 2008, 10:00 AM
:cool: Awaiting the pics. :2tsup:Whatchagonna make?:?:D

Ed Reiss
17th September 2008, 12:13 PM

Cliffs gearing up to make propeller shafts!!!:o:roflmao:

Cheers,

Ed :D

Cliff Rogers
17th September 2008, 02:16 PM

It is already made, I've had it for about 10 years now.
I have to take it apart to move it so when I do, it is going to get a face lift & a new motor.
For size ref, the can of RP7 is one of those tall ones & the motor is 2hp.
The pedistal is 14" diam pressure pipe.
The bed is truck chassis.
The piece of steel leaning agaisnt it is the bed for the tool rest & it goes on a large wooden stand that has been romoved from the shed for the pic.
The swing is 4' if I remove the 8" wooden floor that is in front of the lathe so I can reach it.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15375&d=1131623765

Cliff Rogers
17th September 2008, 02:19 PM
Cliffs gearing up to make propeller shafts!!!:o:roflmao:

Cheers,

Ed :D

Not on that lathe, it is for 8' table tops. :p

hughie
17th September 2008, 03:03 PM
Marlin Coast Motor Rewinding will help with the programming & I can do the wiring myself.

Cliff. I reckon you could handle the set up no worries. These days its got to the point of just punching in the motor specs and your done . :2tsup:

My old....elderly type..:U came with a 160 page manual :o nearly 60 pages alone on the removable keypad :o:~ :U.

Cliff Rogers
17th September 2008, 03:33 PM
Yup, from what I have read so far anyway.

The Fuji drive on my Vicmarc VL300 ESVSB isn't so easy though... :~
I have the manual for it & I have had a couple of tries to get it to ramp down when the stop button is pushed but I can't figure it out. :shrug:
It just seems to 'free wheel' to a halt.

If I turn the dial back to 0 before I press stop, the speed ramps down as I turn the dial.

If I hit Stop then Start it ramps down before ramping up again so if I hit Stop again when it is at or near minimum I don't have to wait so long.

NCArcher
17th September 2008, 03:57 PM
Cliff do you have a link to a downloadable version of the Fuji manual? Look for soft stop option. Not all drives do soft start AND soft stop.

Cliff Rogers
17th September 2008, 04:16 PM
I only have a hard copy of the manual but I haven't looked for a downloadable version.

It used to have it but it was used as a demo unit at the very first Turnfest at Coolum & the bloke using it was having troubles with big lumps of red gum undoing the chuck 'cos it was stopping too fast.
They 'dicked' with the programing to change it & I have not been able to 'un-dick' it since.

I'll have a look for soft stop.

NCArcher
17th September 2008, 04:32 PM
It just seems to 'free wheel' to a halt.

Free wheeling to a halt will likely be selected as 'Coast' to stop. If you can find a parameter that says coast you may be able to toggle it to 'Soft' or 'Ramp'. There will usually be a time scale associated with the stop function. If it is set to say 6 seconds the drive will slow from current speed to zero over that length of time.

bobsreturn2003
17th September 2008, 04:47 PM
found the marlin coast guy good he did a weg inverter for me some years ago , i couldnt get the brazlian instructions , they seem good quality,and has worked well . what about a guard or two ,around the belts ? can get wound up then . cheers bob

Cliff Rogers
17th September 2008, 06:03 PM
Free wheeling to a halt will likely be selected as 'Coast' to stop. If you can find a parameter that says coast you may be able to toggle it to 'Soft' or 'Ramp'. There will usually be a time scale associated with the stop function. If it is set to say 6 seconds the drive will slow from current speed to zero over that length of time.

I noticed a similar option in the WEG manual, I'll look for it in the Fuji manual.

Cliff Rogers
17th September 2008, 06:10 PM
... what about a guard or two ,around the belts ? ...

The idea behind going to a 3HP 6pole motor is so I don't need such big pulleys.
I hope to be able to get rid of the large wooden ones so it will be easier to cover the belts.

Cliff Rogers
18th September 2008, 12:09 AM

OK, I found it. :2tsup:

The book has a column for you to write your user settings in.
Tonight I sat in front of the lathe & went through all 170 something of them & noted any that weren't 'Factory' settings & checked to see what they did.

About 112 settings into it I found something called H11 Dec that wasn't 'Factory' set.

It was set for 1 instead of 0 where 1 is "Coast to stop" & 0 is "Normal".

In the back of the manual it says the H11 Dec is the 'High performance function' for deceleration. :doh:

It will now decelerate at the rate set at F08 Deceleration Time. :D

PS. Should I mention that it has been that way for 5 & a half years now? :unsure:

BazzaDLB
18th September 2008, 09:37 AM
Cliff,
I thought reading manuals was something you only do when constipated!!!

hughie
18th September 2008, 09:57 AM
PS. Should I mention that it has been that way for 5 & a half years now? :unsure:
[/QUOTE]

:U Nobody would believe me if I said I had read all the way through my VSD manual and they would be right. :B :U

Cliff Rogers
18th September 2008, 10:09 AM
Well, you see, I didn't actually read the manual, not all of it anyway.... :rolleyes:

What I did was write in the manual... I wrote down all the settings that were different & then I looked up what they did. :2tsup: