PDA

View Full Version : Stopping Timber ends from cracking/splitting

Boo Boo
22nd March 2004, 03:52 PM
Hello Y'all,

I am new to this woodturining thing and would like some advice on stopping the ends of my wood stores from cracking/splitting and evidently running out of good timber.

If anyone can help I will be a very happy camper.

Cheers
Boo

Dean
22nd March 2004, 04:38 PM
Hi there,

You can buy end sealing "paint" from the woodworking stores.
I got some from Carbatec for a reasonable price. Called "End Sealer" and I think a 2 litre tin was under $20 if I remember correctly?

It may not totally eliminate splitting, but it certainly helps. Depends on the wood. Some wood will split no matter what you plaster onto it :)

Jackson
23rd March 2004, 10:26 PM
If I'm wrong on this I expect an avalanche of posts correcting me, but here goes. I think the theory is that the timber dries at different rates. Moisture is lost through the end grain faster than through the bark or side surface, causing tension within the timber. The tension eventually causes the timber to split. Sealing the end grain balances that up and reduces the chance of splitting.

As well as the end grain sealant Dean mentioned you can also use PVA glue. Even though it's pretty cheap, I'm not sure how it stacks up cost wise with proper sealant.

I also keep and old wok full of wax from candles. When I turn a bowl blank from timber that's not quite dry I heat the wok and then spin the blank edges through the wax so the sides and a little of the face is coated. You could do the same with end grain I suppose.

But Dean is right. Some timber splits with amazing speed. I was given some pieces of a tree (we think it might be candle nut) my friend had felled a few hours earlier. They were already split. I cut the ends off to remove the split section and within a minute I heard a quite audible "crack" and found the end had split again.

Regards

BrianR
24th March 2004, 01:51 PM
MobilCer-M or MobilCer-195 is designed to seal the end of wood to stop splitting from drying too fast. I bought a 20l drum for $65 from mobil last week.

Kev Y.
24th March 2004, 08:08 PM
If you happen to be able to get on to a local BEE keeper you can use melted BEE's WAX. I have tried, painting, sealing with mobilcer and wax.

To date I have found the bees wax works the best.

using the mobilcer you may need to apply two or three coats over a few days.

best of luck and welcome aboard.

Kev

Boo Boo
26th March 2004, 12:16 AM
Thanks gents for the great help, this will definitely make my collection of timber breathe a sye of relief.

Cheers
Boo:D