PDA

View Full Version : Lemon squash

Woodwould
19th September 2008, 05:12 PM
While not strictly cooking (there is some boiling involved), I just had to share this recipe.

Last weekend my Awfully Dreaded pruned one of our lemon trees that was over-hanging the yard a bit too much. I couldn't believe by removing a few small branches we'd end up with four bags of lemons which translated to 9 litres of lemon juice.

It's not that long ago since I made virtually a year's supply of lemon curd, so I thought I'd try making lemon squash seeing as I seem to get through quite a lot of the stuff.

According to the label on the bottle of Bickford's Lemon Juice, it contains only 25% actual lemon juice (we've had other brands that contained up to 40%), but since I had so much juice, I thought I'd make a better drop of stuff.

My squash contains basically one of everything i.e. one litre of lemon juice, one litre of water and one kilo of sugar. I also added the zest of five lemons and 30 grams of citric acid (available in the baking aisle in your local supermarket).

I tipped this all into a ruddy big pan and stirred continuously until it boiled vigorously and then simmered it for about five minutes. When it had cooled somewhat, I poured it through a jelly bag (if you don't make jam and don't have a jelly bag, a simple muslin bag or old linen pillow case would do) to strain out the zest and other fibrous matter.

I poured the resultant squash into bottles and capped them tightly. Try this stuff and you'll never drink bought squash again; the flavour just rips out of it!

So to break the recipe down a bit for those who don't have bathtub-sized pans here's a basic recipe which can be easily multiplied depending on how much juice you have or how much you want to make:

100ml of lemon juice
100ml of water
100gm sugar
zest of one lemon
3 gm citric acid (or tartaric acid)

Dilute to taste.

Good health!

tea lady
19th September 2008, 05:46 PM
Cool. Something to do with all those lemons that no one knows what to do with.:2tsup::D

Woodwould
19th September 2008, 06:09 PM
Herself is going to pick up some frozen rasberries when she's next shopping, so I'm going to give berry cordial a try too.

STAR
19th September 2008, 07:53 PM
What ? :oo:

No alcohol in that mix. You might live longer, no wonder there is so much depression about.

Just joking. I will give that recipe a go. Seems a lot easier to achieve then the author's woodworking skill.:2tsup:

tea lady
19th September 2008, 11:28 PM
What ? :oo:

No alcohol in that mix. You might live longer, no wonder there is so much depression about.

Just joking. I will give that recipe a go. Seems a lot easier to achieve then the author's woodworking skill.:2tsup:
I'm sure it would mix quite well with Vodka, Tequila, rum maybe:hmm::tequila::drunk22::D

Woodwould
20th September 2008, 12:23 AM
I'm tee-total, but the resident embiber told me it's exceedingly good with vodka, gin, more vodka, just a small glass of gin... and then she fell over.

STAR
21st September 2008, 12:29 AM
I'm tee-total, but the resident embiber told me it's exceedingly good with vodka, gin, more vodka, just a small glass of gin... and then she fell over.

Great. What are we doing conversing with you. When you get your imbiber up off the floor, and she is feeling ok. put her on the " puter " she is the one we want to hear words of wisdom from.http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

Woodwould
22nd September 2008, 12:55 AM
Hi, Mrs. WW here. This lemon squash is exceeeeedingly good with gin & tonic and vodka & tonic and if you don't have any tonic... so much the better! :roll:

P.S. A splash of it would be good in a bourbon and Coke.