PDA

View Full Version : WIP: shallow redgum bowl

rsser
19th September 2008, 06:10 PM
Jeff and I did one of these up at his property at Kiewa and he kindly gave me his second recycled redgum plank.

It yielded 3 usable blanks of about 400 mm square and 50mm thick.

Pics are of stage 1, roughed out exterior.

I like a foot and recess for this kind of form, so dimensioned them with a parting tool, cleaned out the recess with a dovetailed scraper, and cut the rings in the recess with the tip of the scraper.

All pretty clean cut.

The bulk of the shaping was done with a P&N 17mm Supagouge alternating between push cuts on the bevel and pull shear cuts. Still a lot of refining to do.

Other tech stuff: it's mounted on a VM faceplate ring, VM100 chuck with Shark jaws.

BernieP
19th September 2008, 06:47 PM
G'Day Ern

Looking good nice chunk of wood, don't forget to keep us posted.

Cheers
Bernie

jefferson
19th September 2008, 07:30 PM
Ern is only posting these pics for two reasons:

- one, because I can't post pics of my shoddy work at the moment (just as well)
- two, to show that his work is infinitely superior to mine! True it is, but he's light years ahead of me with experience.

But pics only tell part of the story - us forumites want to see the product Ern at the turnfest. Is it still on? I haven't heard a squeak from for weeks.

And also Ern, you didn't mention how many times you sharpened your gouge. I reckon that piece of redgum was rock hard.

Jeff

rsser
19th September 2008, 07:45 PM
Jeff, stop under-rating yourself.

You're the only b8gger on the forum I know of who's getting mileage with skew-cut beads on redgum.

Any case, this WIP won't work out as well as the one we did together because with that one I had to stop, reflect and explain, with better results than this one cos I just had at it with tools without thinking.

Not that that wasn't a pleasure with the Northpaw out of the splint. But in this company that's not good enough.

jefferson
19th September 2008, 08:57 PM
Great to hear Ern that your paw is free for turning. I might just dig up a decent size burl to really test it.

Your comments about reflecting etc rather than just going at it ring true. I wonder how many turners pause and consider what they intend doing before getting started. I am trying to follow the process you showed me (with varying degrees of success). But I do think new turners like me do need to sit back and take stock beforehand.

The Richard Raffan "method" for turning a lidded box has 20 odd steps. Quite distinct steps too I might add. It seems to me not just a matter of getting out the chisels and away you go.

Or am I wrong on all that? Who knows. Where's Cliff when you need him?

Jeff

artme
20th September 2008, 04:44 AM
Nice chunk of firewood there!!:D:D:2tsup:

Ed Reiss
20th September 2008, 07:57 AM
Ern...watcha' making, a frissbee?:?:? LOL

Cheers,

Ed :D

rsser
20th September 2008, 08:08 AM
Yeah, looks like it.

Not watching I took too much off the 'belly'. With a blank with no cracks or checks that could be rescued with a line flowing to a fine edge but this is too rustic for a fine edge.

For the next one I'll leave a band at the top of the rim of 'natural' plank surface just for a bit of decorative contrast.

Ed Reiss
20th September 2008, 12:19 PM
Well...whatever it turns out to be, sure it''ll look good Ern!:2tsup:

Check out the frisbee I wound up with:doh:

rsser
20th September 2008, 12:44 PM
Nice treatment Ed.

What's the wood?

Ed Reiss
20th September 2008, 01:01 PM
Box Elder. Nice turning wood!

Shot the outside and rim with Black Gloss Hydrocote, the inside with clear gloss Hydrocote. Was going for that Japanese Ikebana look...but it actually does make a good frisbee, the wife and I tried it out...missed a catch and the dog almost sunk his teeth into it!!:censored2:

Cheers,

rsser
20th September 2008, 06:36 PM
LoL.

Well, it's a fine piece of turning and finishing. Admirable.

Got some box elder bowls roughed out ... your treatment is food for thought.

Thanks for posting.

Robomanic
20th September 2008, 11:45 PM
Hi Ern,

Pull shear cuts? Is this running the chisel 'backwards' i.e handle first up the face or something else? I understand the geometry behind push cutting with the bevel rubbing but what's the idea behind reverse cuts?

Cheers,

rsser
21st September 2008, 07:56 AM
Say if you're cutting 'downhill' twds the bowl foot, you're push cutting when you have the handle pretty much horizontal and the flute facing up ... in the same orientation if you drew the handle back towards you you're now in pull cut mode. If you then rolled the flute in towards the bowl somewhat and dropped the handle end (aiming to rub the bevel and to have the cutting edge at around 45 degrees to the direction of tool travel), that's what I call a pull shear cut and I'd normally use it to refine the belly and shoulder of a bowl outside.

Hope this make sense.

RETIRED
21st September 2008, 08:46 AM
Ern is only posting these pics for two reasons:

- one, because I can't post pics of my shoddy work at the moment (just as well)
- two, to show that his work is infinitely superior to mine! True it is, but he's light years ahead of me with experience.

But pics only tell part of the story - us forumites want to see the product Ern at the turnfest. Is it still on? I haven't heard a squeak from for weeks.

And also Ern, you didn't mention how many times you sharpened your gouge. I reckon that piece of redgum was rock hard.

JeffYep.

Hi Ern,

Pull shear cuts? Is this running the chisel 'backwards' i.e handle first up the face or something else? I understand the geometry behind push cutting with the bevel rubbing but what's the idea behind reverse cuts?

Cheers,You need to come to the Turn-on in Oct.

OGYT
21st September 2008, 10:57 AM
Lookin' good so far.
Face plate rings. Good way to hold platters. Why haven't I thought of that? Thanks for the tip!! :D

rsser
21st September 2008, 12:21 PM
Happy to oblige Al.

You could do the same with an assortment of faceplates but the rings are cheap and don't take up much pegboard space. Means you can easily have several jobs on the go, and not have to take the chuck off - allowed a quick swap of pieces yesterday when Grumpy John and I had a go at a lump of his.

Square drive screws are a good match.

joe greiner
21st September 2008, 09:53 PM
Thanks for noticing the faceplate rings, Al. It didn't register with me at first.

And thanks for explaining them, Ern. I suppose one could make up a few spares in plywood, but CSUSA has the genuine article (metal) in the US$20 range, so hardly worth stumbling about. Only the largest (6") needs large dovetail jaws (5").

Fine lookin' frisbees, Jeff and Ed.

Joe

rsser
21st September 2008, 10:05 PM
Both Vicmarc and Teknatool make em.

I haven't compared dovetail angles to see if they're interchangeable. In fact, the only T/tool one I have is the 130mm mother to match their Titan Supergrips or whatever they're called.

Ed Reiss
22nd September 2008, 12:18 PM
Hmmmmmm....idea for an international challenge:Umaking a frisbee!

Any wood, limit to 12" diameter, and it must be functional:eheheh:fly that is!!

Cheers,

Gra
22nd September 2008, 12:23 PM

Cheers,

I've had a couple of those, just couldn't use them after:oo:.

Cliff Rogers
22nd September 2008, 12:27 PM
Finished! :2tsup:

It is Black Stripe Walnut, weighs 150grams

I made it in '95.

I reckon it will fly well but may not take too many rough landings. :D

Ed Reiss
22nd September 2008, 12:49 PM
...just wait till the neighbors dingo gets a hold of it!!:doh:

Robomanic
22nd September 2008, 01:31 PM

Cheers,

I'd take up that challenge

Maybe score (distance flown)/weight to encourage some translucent pieces :o.
You could be really tough and go for average of 3 runs so it has to survive at least a little while...

tea lady
22nd September 2008, 01:42 PM

Cheers,:cool:

Fly off at the T & WWW show?:cool:

Grumpy John
22nd September 2008, 01:56 PM

Cheers,

Could have the innaugral state championships at 's turnfest. Start flinging frisbees across the Sth Gippy Hwy, no lathe assisted throws :no:. You can ask about lathe assisted throws :D, he holds the current Oz record.

Cliff Rogers
22nd September 2008, 02:58 PM
....You can ask about lathe assisted throws :D, he holds the current Oz record.

Is that for the number, weight, or distance. :?

Also, does it have to be the whole frisbee?

I had the side of a mango bowl bounce off my forehead & park itself in the rafters of my shed. :D

rsser
22nd September 2008, 03:54 PM
A sharp edge in order to decapitate has already been done, unfortunately.

Grumpy John
22nd September 2008, 04:03 PM
Is that for the number, weight, or distance. :?

Also, does it have to be the whole frisbee?

I had the side of a mango bowl bounce off my forehead & park itself in the rafters of my shed. :D

Cliff
I believe it would be weight x distance plus you have to factor in the number of cars/trucks/mcycles travelling along the sth gippy hwy at the time.

Ed Reiss
23rd September 2008, 12:19 PM

Probably lucky that it was soft Mango 'stead of Ironwood:club:

Cheers,

tea lady
23rd September 2008, 02:43 PM
Maybe we shopuld do it down the road at the beach.. I can just picture the truck driver trying too explain it to the insurance company.

"Well! I was just driving through Tooradin.....:stretcher:

rsser
23rd September 2008, 07:17 PM
Lol!

oak
24th September 2008, 08:43 PM
hey here is an idea if anyone can throw it far enough fr me to catch it they win!

(Tasmania)

lol any one want to try:2tsup:

Regards Oak

P.S. great frizbees guys

Sawdust Maker
24th September 2008, 10:33 PM
Both Vicmarc and Teknatool make em.

I haven't compared dovetail angles to see if they're interchangeable. In fact, the only T/tool one I have is the 130mm mother to match their Titan Supergrips or whatever they're called.

FWIW I'm using a Vicmarc 50mm on a Super Nova2 50mm jaw set.
For some reason the teknatool one wouldn't fit so I exchanged for the Vicmarc
Has worked well so far, touch wood :)

Sawdust Maker
24th September 2008, 10:39 PM
Back to frisbees
If it came off the lathe in pieces it wouldn't be eligible for the best of three throws! :D

BTW what happened to the original platter? (broke on the Bass Strait crossing maybe :o)
IMHO some large scale usage of the weathered side, as is, in the final article would/could work well. It seems to have a lot of character.

RETIRED
24th September 2008, 11:50 PM
To satisfy the curiosity of those that have asked, this is the story.

As many of you know we live and work facing a major highway. The distance from the lathe to the highway is about 80 metres. It is 4 lanes wide with a median strip down the centre. There is a service road on the other side of the highway, a house and then another road just behind this. We always work with the big shed doors open.

These facts ar important as you will see later.

We used to turn a lot of bases about 400mm-600mm in diameter and 45mm thick from boards glued edge to edge to get the size.

They were turned on a screw chuck with a faceplate of 300 mm backing them. Speed was 1800 RPM. (we don't turn slow around here). They were cut into circles on the bandsaw before mounting. No tail stock support.

I got distracted one day and had a catch. This is when it gets interesting.

It stripped the thread in the timber and came off the plate and hit the floor.

With the speed at which it was travelling it span on the floor in one spot for about 3 seconds. The smoke would have done any dragster proud.

Then it accelerated out the door and I mean accelerated. At that time there were no trees on our block to slow it down so away it went. It covered the 80 metres in a nano second raising dust and shifting leaves like Saines in a full house rally car.

Across the nature strip leaving a nice furrow in the grass and a trench you could plant Spuds in. On to the bitumen where it nearly melted the bitumen after going under one car.

It hit the median strip and plied with a 747 for air space and then hit the bitumen on the other side just missing another car (the driver looked terrified) and seemed to accelerate even more.

Over the bank (more grass flying) between the highway and the service road, across the service road (more dust and stones) and came to rest against the back fence of the house after dislodging a paling.

When we had stopped laughing hysterically we went looking for it and at that time couldn't find it.

The neighbour on the other side of the highway wandered in about 3 days later and asked if we had lost anything. I said not that I recall and he produced this lump of wood that had reduced in diameter from 500mm to about 300mm.

All in all it had covered about 250-300 metres with a consumption of 10mm of timber every metre at the speed of a very fast train.:D

jefferson
25th September 2008, 12:26 AM
Great story !

Jeff

Ed Reiss
25th September 2008, 02:25 AM
Shame you didn't get video!:doh:

Thanks for a great story...made my day!:2tsup:

Cheers,

Sawdust Maker
25th September 2008, 10:15 AM
talk about hijacked threads :happyb:

but that is one of the best stories I've heard in a long while :clap2::roflmao:
made my day

dai sensei
25th September 2008, 11:42 AM
:roflmao:

Totally unrelated, but that reminds me of a bowling ball I left on the roof of my car once :oops:. I picked it up a few days later as it was handed into the bowling center by a witness that told an interesting story. It had come off on a major divided road (I would have been driving at ~80km/hr), it bounced across the divide swiping two parked cars before being hit by an oncoming speeding car accelorating it in the opposite direction. It then bounced across the divide again hitting an oncoming car head on, before caving in some-one's door of another parked car.

Apart from a few gouges out of the ball, it was Ok. There were no names of damaged car owners or anything, so I couldn't say sorry or pay damages:whistling::ok:

rsser
3rd October 2008, 01:07 PM
Had a plakky canoe come off the roofracks doing 110kph down the Princes once.

Lots of cars behind; missed them all thank heavens.

tea lady
3rd October 2008, 07:33 PM
So uuuuuum? How's the red gum bowl going Ern?:D

Calm
3rd October 2008, 07:58 PM

WHAT going back on subject, I was thinking that this could be the "king" of hijacked threads - even the originator was waaaaaaaaaaaaaay off target - canoes of car roofs????????- really :D:p:p:D:D:doh:

cheers

tea lady
4th October 2008, 12:10 AM
WHAT going back on subject, I was thinking that this could be the "king" of hijacked threads - even the originator was waaaaaaaaaaaaaay off target - canoes of car roofs????????- really :D:p:p:D:D:doh:

cheers
Sorry!:C

:D

rsser
5th October 2008, 07:49 PM

Sitting nicely TL, thanks.

(Been in NZ for 2 weeks skiing and rubber necking ... need a stretchier neck :U )

tea lady
6th October 2008, 12:06 AM
Sitting nicely TL, thanks.

(Been in NZ for 2 weeks skiing and rubber necking ... need a stretchier neck :U )

Jolly good. Carry on.:D

rsser
6th October 2008, 05:46 AM
Found a turner running a craft/photo gallery in Wanaka ... had a good chin wag about techniques and woods.

Lots of Beech there (a cousin of our Myrtle) but what I saw wasn't esp interesting other than some nice iridescence.

rsser
20th October 2008, 10:21 PM
Here you go TL, still WIP.

It's been a hoot.

Outside profile turned poxy cos I decided to play with some new tools and presentations and gave finish priority over profile.

Hollowing out, well, it's hard as a rock. Two passes with the HT 3/8 Superflute and it was back to the grinder.

Lot of flex due to rim distance from chuck and a couple of cracks.

Had to gouge and scrape one-handed with fingers steadying the outside. Burned a Band-Aid off :cool:

Thickness near the remaining mass is about 1/16. Unintended.

Not holding my breath for the future of this piece, but the pieces should they come will have lovely figure :D

tea lady
20th October 2008, 11:52 PM
Pieces? So it might undergo a design change (as calls 'em.:D ) and become a doughnut and a small dish?:?:D

Cliff Rogers
20th October 2008, 11:54 PM
Grain looks good, cracks look scary.

Ed Reiss
21st October 2008, 12:13 AM
Not what it's cracked up to be! lol

sorry 3 times over...couldn't help myself:no::doh:

rsser
21st October 2008, 08:58 AM
Boom tish Ed!

Yeah Cliff - it's not sound. Might do some epoxy fill.

Or might end up two half moons (at speed) TL.

tea lady
21st October 2008, 09:31 AM
Boom tish Ed!

Yeah Cliff - it's not sound. Might do some epoxy fill.

Or might end up two half moons (at speed) TL.

First a frisbee challenge, now a boomerang challenge. :hmm:

rsser
21st October 2008, 11:33 AM
LoL.

Looked at it again this a.m.

It's firewood. Not enough figure and form doesn't pass muster to warrant the risk of blood.

Ed Reiss
21st October 2008, 12:04 PM
But the blood just might give it the character it needs!:C:U

rsser
21st October 2008, 12:20 PM
It's already red Ed!

In some circles 'character' means cussedness ;-}

tea lady
21st October 2008, 06:37 PM
RIP Red Gum frisbee. It was good while it lasted.:C

:death::angel::sing::sing::sing::sing::sing::violin:

OK.......Next.