PDA

View Full Version : Toolrest dust extraction

Robomanic
21st September 2008, 04:47 PM
Ok, so it won't win any beauty contests but it is a quick and dirty and i am pretty happy with how well it works.

Bought myself a 1hp dust extractor yesterday and wanted to do something to collect the chips and especially the dust at the source and reduce the secondary cleanup. Switching between spindle and bowl work means that the chip flow off the tool varies significantly and poses a problem for positioning and re-positioning the scoop. The common factor is the toolrest so I had a bash at incorporating extraction into that.

What I needed;
- cannot interfere with tool movement (skew or gouge)
- cannot interfere with toolrest/bango levers and still feel natural to move the whole assembly
- Simple attachment, no clamps, tapped threads etc so it can be added removed easily
- take the 4" fitting to keep flow as high as possible at the head
- collect from below the rest for spindle work
- collect from above and below for faceplate work
- not cost anything (well not much anyway)

The flap over the top was a late inclusion. The extractor worked well with gouges but I decided that spindle roughing would benefit from extra suction below the rest where not much flows over the top.

The assembly is held in place with a screw at each end of the rest which sits in a 5mm deep hole, and the toolpost goes through the bottom so between the three points it is quite secure, more than strong enough to take the hose.

I would say it collects 80-90% of the chips off the tool and practically all the dust. I don't see myself taking it off anytime soon and that means I am more likely to use it for those 'quick jobs. My sinuses are already thanking me and that was only one session.

If I can find the right product I would like to put a row of broom bristles in a couple of places. Might help to shroud it higher, and maybe not interfere with tool movements too much.

rsser
21st September 2008, 05:19 PM
Full marks for creative thinking RM.

This is an issue that's bedevilled turners since Adam passed on his turned apple to Eve ( ... bet you didn't know that :wink: ).

If you go through old copies of Raffan's books you'll see a weird and wonderful range of hoods, hoppers and shrouds to try and capture that pesky waste.

hughie
21st September 2008, 06:05 PM
Hmm, not bad, not bad at all.:2tsup:

Ed Reiss
22nd September 2008, 12:25 PM
Pretty clever thinking there RBM. Looks like a good solution.:2tsup:

Cheers,

Ed :D

Robomanic
22nd September 2008, 04:47 PM
Thanks guys,

I'll put up some more action shots when i get a chance - see if my point and shoot will accept a request for a slower shutter speed...

cheers,

OGYT
23rd September 2008, 11:28 AM
Ver-r-r-y Inter-r-es-tink!! Looks like a good workup. If it catches 90% that's awesome!!
Gotta try to figure something out for mine, now. Another for the to-do list.

Alastair
23rd September 2008, 02:12 PM
I can see a problem if you get some "nicely turning" or slightly damp timber. I think it will have problems coping with the nice "curlies" we all aspire to.

I run my DE with the pipe just held with a magnet below and behind, mainly when sanding only, and direct the sanding dust into the pipe by varying the sanding angle. Shavings go on the floor, and are "hoovered" up at the end of the session. "Curlies" are disposed of by hand, as they don't agree with the DE. (DAMHIKT)

regards

Robomanic
23rd September 2008, 04:10 PM
I can see a problem if you get some "nicely turning" or slightly damp timber. I think it will have problems coping with the nice "curlies" we all aspire to.

Yep no disagreement there,

Curlies I am happy to pick up off the floor and have had a lot of fun in the past turning pear branches into streamers that hung from the rafters :D. They are generally pretty manageable.

Chips and dust just get into everything though and I am glad that I no longer have a trail from the garage to the kitchen :D

Thanks for the input.