PDA

View Full Version : Kimono Stand

corbs
21st September 2008, 09:27 PM
Here is one of the projects I am working on at the moment, nearly finished but close enough to post some pics. Wood is Meranti stained with Black Japan. The client has a 120 year old Wedding Kimono to hang on it so the unit has been designed around the dimensions of the kimono. Unit dimensions are 1800 wide & 2200 tall. The dowels through the top curves will be cut off flush but it is in dry fit at the moment. Will pull it apart later and wax the unit before putting it together again.

Enjoy,
Corbs

Claw Hama
21st September 2008, 09:37 PM
Looking good Corbs, be nice to see with the Kimono on it too if you can get one.

mic-d
21st September 2008, 09:48 PM
Looking fantastic Corbs:2tsup: Have you given any thought to whether the finish you're going to use is suitable for long term contact the Kimono? I have lots of experience with this sort of thing...

from watching several series of Antique Roadshow:;

Cheers
Michael

corbs
21st September 2008, 09:54 PM
Thanks Claw, will make it a stipulation when I hand the stand over.

Mic, I hadn't but the black japan is sealed with two coats of Feast Watson Shellac and then three coats of satinproof. Should be ok:-. I watch the roadshow sometimes too but must have missed that episode:doh:

ciscokid
25th September 2008, 10:48 AM
Very nice, Corbs! Stylish and elegant. I love the joinery. :) Professional job. :2tsup:

flynnsart
25th September 2008, 09:44 PM
looks great:2tsup:

Donna