PDA

View Full Version : lamp stands

whitewood
22nd September 2008, 08:06 AM
I am not a turner so don't follow these threads and keep up with trends etc. Is it still fashionable to turn table/floor lamp stands out of timber? If so I realised while milling on the weekend that I had a large supply of timber that may be suitable for this purpose. It's Paulownia which already has a bamboo like hollow up the centre which would facilitate accommodating the cable inside the stand.

I won't go into more detail about diameters and lengths available until I determine if there would be an interest in this timber. From all accounts Paulownia is good to turn and it stains easily so the user is not limited to the whiteish colour of the species.

I'll respond to posts on the forum or to PM if there is any interest.
John

Ed Reiss
22nd September 2008, 12:05 PM
Hi John...

Paulownia is a prized wood here in the states, useful for a wide range of items made from it.

Some years back, David Wright (Berea, Kentucky) made a briefcase from it...came out real sharp. Warren May has made some dulcimers from the wood. I have turned a few bowls from it also. The batch that we got was golden in color and really popped when tung oil was applied.

You certainly have a salable commodity. Good luck.

Cheers,
Ed :D