PDA

View Full Version : Wood turning beginner needs a lathe

jafford
22nd September 2008, 01:44 PM
All, am very confused with the various lathes on the market. I need a multipurpose lathe to turn up furniture legs mostly. I am keen to hear your advice on things like:

- length from spindle to end (assume 900m +),
- minimum motor size and speeds,
- height above bed,
- swivel head,
- motor speeds, etc

Any help / advice appreciated. I was looking at the Timbecon range with a 900mm bed? Looking for something under $1,000 (all ready to go, tools etc). Also carba tec seems popular in Australia.

As above I think the focus for me will be furniture legs etc more so than bowls and smaller stuff, but would be good to have something that is versatile.

Cheers,

Jason

Ashes
22nd September 2008, 04:15 PM
Welcome Jason.

Something like a MC900 would suit your needs and budget. It obviously does spindles up to 900mm which is enough for tables, chairs and most furniture. It will also do reasonable size bowls. Spindles don't necessarily need as much power than a large heavy platter or bowl.

There are better lathes out there but by the time you factor in the other things you will need you will struggle to fit within a $1000 budget.

Things to buy starting out

- Lathe
- Tools $100-$120 will get you a reasonable set of mid quality tools (avoid the $20 cheapie carbon steel set)
- Sharpening system $50-$100 will set you up with a grinder and white wheel
- Sandpaper $30 for multiple grits between 80 and 600 (cloth backed is best)
- Calipers/measuring tools $30
- Safety gear $50 (faceshield, dust mask)

This leaves about $600 for a lathe. A Mc900 new will set you back around $400. You could probably pick up a used one for $200 or less.

I personally would look to invest more $'s in bits you are likely to keep a long time. Quality tools and sharpening system. A cheaper all-rounder lathe like a MC900 will let you do most things but as you progress you will discover what you most enjoy and then may look to upgrade the lathe to a lathe more suited for the type of work you will do. For example, a mini lathe if you decide pens are your passion.

Robomanic
22nd September 2008, 04:58 PM
Welcome!

I bought an mc1100 a couple of months ago and strongly recommend it to anybody starting out. Solid and packed with features. It is not on their website though. Heavier motor than the 900 and slightly longer bed. Was in Carba-tec on Saturday and they had them for $420 new (with warranty).

The common 8 piece set will get you by for the majority of spindle work. You won't use them all straight away but they will be there when you feel like trying something new.

Cheers, and happy turning.

Ashes
22nd September 2008, 05:46 PM
Actually ....what he said :aro-u:

Forgot about the 1100....the rest still applies

Robomanic
22nd September 2008, 06:01 PM
sorry - writing backwards again -

That should have read "was in Carbatec, price is this much etc, and it is not on Carbatec's website" you prob figure that out though.
I did not actually buy mine from there, and have since found that carbatec is cheaper, and the model they have has an aluminium finned motor which is actually important because mine does get very hot after about an hour. It is so bad that it is prob over the rating of the motor and the bearings will prob not last too well. If/when that happens i will look at what it costs to replace them vs replacing the motor with the superior aluminium model.

Welcome to the world of compromise. :)

rsser
22nd September 2008, 06:04 PM
Better allow a sum for a scroll chuck too ... v. useful to have.

woodwork wally
22nd September 2008, 06:34 PM
Cant believe that living in Sydney that you havn't looked at Machinery House which is Hare and Forbes or Carbatec and also some of your smaller wood turning suppliers. DO NOT BUY unless you can get local service. Timbercon is a W.A. company with NO local branches. MC1100 are a reasonable lathe and mine has done a great job even though they have some shortcomings you get a damn good entry level lathe with it or its 900 counterpart . BE CAUTIOUS some came out with a 3/4 h.p. motor and this along with power loss on the pulley system + overenthusiasm with the tools lead to a premature motor failure:oo: . get the 1 h.p. or 750 watts motor with the cooling fins:2tsup: if buying s/hand and if buying new there is now 1.5 h.p. available and that would be better still:D:D Oops bad manners WELCOME ABOARD JASON !!! :)and enjoy your newfound addiction:; and forum friends.Best wishes WW.Wally:thewave:

jafford
22nd September 2008, 06:49 PM
Gents,

All top advice, thanks a lot.

Do you think it is best to get a package deal, or just buy the right lathe and then match with better quality tools etc. I'm thinking this is the way to go.

Cheers

Robomanic
22nd September 2008, 08:20 PM
I would say select what you want and lean on the salesman for a deal. A lathe purchase is something you should be able to dangle the 'repeat business' carrot for a better deal.

good luck