PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Table

DPB
25th March 2004, 09:57 AM
Here's a few shots of the larger table I build for my bandsaw.

I found the original table to be too small. It lacked the support I needed for cutting longer, or larger pieces of timber.

Also, although I spent additional money for a deluxe fence, it was inadequate. The fence would only lock in a position 90 degrees to the front table rail. If you have used a bandsaw, you will know that most bandsaw blades do not cut exactly at right angle to the table. The lines I've drawn on the table surface deviate from 90 degrees by about 1.5 degrees. I use these lines to set my fence parallel to the angle of cut, something you can't do with standard bandsaw fences.

To accomplish this, I installed two T-tracks in my table. The fence, a 50mm extruded aluminium right angle, has two slotted holes to allow me to set the fence parallel to the angle of cut.

Like my drill-press table, this table has a removable centre piece which I recon will wear with use, and is replaceable. The wedge in the slot keeps the table surface stable even though cut almost in half to enable me to remove and install saw blades.

The table sits over the original table, so has retained full tilt. It is bolted to the original table into the holes intended for the original fence rail. I fashioned the brackets from extruded aluminium angle.

The table dimensions are 635mm wide x 650mm depth. The maximum distance from the blade to the fence (either right or left) is 290mm. I sacrificed 12mm cutting depth, the thickness of the MDF atop the original table. The knobs are from Lee Valley Tools.

DPB
25th March 2004, 09:58 AM
Pic #2

DPB
25th March 2004, 09:59 AM
Pic #3

Sturdee
25th March 2004, 12:46 PM
Nice work Don.

I especially like the idea of the replaceable insert. Why did I not think of that when I made mine.

Rather than using a wedge I used a recessed coachbolt with a wingnut to keep the two sides together and level.

Peter.

silentC
25th March 2004, 12:54 PM
Don, did you remember to bolt the gate?

:D :D

DPB
25th March 2004, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the reminder.