PDA

View Full Version : i need help with finding a lathe

new_guy90
23rd September 2008, 03:38 PM
hi everyone i think i should start at the beginning. i am not a wood worker i have an avid interest in wood work and DO want to learn how to work with wood, but right now i don't have the knowledge or the means to do much with wood. to be honest im a metal worker, i have used large metal lathes, millers and a bit of sheet in high school. now a couple of days ago i was approached about a business deal from an acquaintance who makes lamps to sell on Ebay. but theres a problem, she cant get the stands and the ones she can are a bit expensive. so hearing that i can use a lathe she asked me what cost it would be to set up a wood lathe to make the stands. i explained that i do know how to use a metal lathe but hadn't a clue how to use a wood one! and on top of that it would be very costly. i though about what tools would be needed and decided that the major machines would be the lathe, a disc/belt sander, a drill, the chisels and a miter saw, i already had a drill press to start off with as well as a few simple tools oh and i want a bench grinder. so to my questions ......

1. is there any tools you think may be needed to make these lamp stands?

2. i have been looking at direct deals and have found an Australian importer of Chinese products called "Bell Carroll" that sells a wood lathe CHEAP!!! has anyone used this company and is there one ells i should try for products?

3. i don't know how you would bore out the center of the lamp stand can anyone help with that?

4. im not sure what prices to pay for good tools so i have been looking for the cheapest if anyone can recommend cheap tools (specifically the lathe) that would be much appreciated

i have no idea if these business arrangements will get off the ground these might just turn out to be a huge head ache for me

thank you for your help

RETIRED
23rd September 2008, 06:02 PM
hi everyone i think i should start at the beginning. i am not a wood worker i have an avid interest in wood work and DO want to learn how to work with wood, but right now i don't have the knowledge or the means to do much with wood. to be honest im a metal worker, i have used large metal lathes, millers and a bit of sheet in high school. now a couple of days ago i was approached about a business deal from an acquaintance who makes lamps to sell on Ebay. but theres a problem, she cant get the stands and the ones she can are a bit expensive. so hearing that i can use a lathe she asked me what cost it would be to set up a wood lathe to make the stands. i explained that i do know how to use a metal lathe but hadn't a clue how to use a wood one! and on top of that it would be very costly. i though about what tools would be needed and decided that the major machines would be the lathe, a disc/belt sander, a drill, the chisels and a miter saw, i already had a drill press to start off with as well as a few simple tools oh and i want a bench grinder. so to my questions ......

1. is there any tools you think may be needed to make these lamp stands?1/2 spindle gouge and 1" skew will do for most of the stem. A 3/8 bowl gouge will do the base.

2. i have been looking at direct deals and have found an Australian importer of Chinese products called "Bell Carroll" that sells a wood lathe CHEAP!!! has anyone used this company and is there one ells i should try for products?Would go for a medium quality lathe like the MC range but it MUST have a hollow tail stock.

3. i don't know how you would bore out the center of the lamp stand can anyone help with that?You need a long hole boring kit which comprises special centres and a long hole drill.

4. im not sure what prices to pay for good tools so i have been looking for the cheapest if anyone can recommend cheap tools (specifically the lathe) that would be much appreciated See above.

i have no idea if these business arrangements will get off the ground these might just turn out to be a huge head ache for me

thank you for your helpThe reason that most lamps cost a bit to do is that it a relatively time consuming job. If you are doing batch lots (10 or more) then the price comes down a bit but most places do not want to order 10 or more at a time.
If you have never turned timber before it is a fair bit of an ask to turn lamps as it involves spindle and face plate work as well as making tenons that fit, not to mention long hole boring which is a bit of an art in itself.

bobsreturn2003
23rd September 2008, 06:35 PM
as well as the skill and machinery there is some finishing and the blank timber to make them from . you would need to look carefully at the costs before you quote a price . and dont forget your wages!!!

new_guy90
23rd September 2008, 07:17 PM
thank you for all your help, after my last posting it i did more searching and found at another lathe at Carba-Tec its "Carba-Tec Economy mini lathe" ill go and see it lather on in the week after more research .....im kinda excited about this one it seems like a more quality lathe and i really don't want to jump into buying one from the net without much thought ......at lest i can see it first :U

i think there was some misunderstanding from my part, i had no intention of trying to turn a long lamp stand (1m or more) just small ones of 8" to 18". also its not a full time job just occasionally for here and yeah if i buy it ill have to find another way to recoup the losses of buying it!

the last step for me is finding an average cost to find out if its feasible ........i really must not leave out my wages lol