PDA

View Full Version : A couple o' cups and saucers.

tea lady
24th September 2008, 12:29 AM
Here is my latest cups and saucers. Cups are vitrified china, copper green glaze fired to 1200°c in an electric kiln. Saucers in Jarrah, sanded to 1200# and EEEed and Shella waxed. (Which looked pretty specky just after I did it, but a week later just looks specky.:shrug:) I have left the foot ring on (before all you purists mention it:rolleyes:) because your finger fits under the rim to pick it up better that way. Plus I LIKE foot rings. They are actually more highly prized in pottery then flat basses. It means there is less base of the pot actually touching the table or whatever you are placing it on.

Claw Hama
24th September 2008, 12:39 AM
Very nice TL must be great combining your interests with wood and ceramics. I'm with you I like a nice defining footring. I don't think they look finished without a footring.

joe greiner
24th September 2008, 01:34 AM
Of course they're highly prized. Aside from an expression of finesse, there's a functional factor: A flat base may warp to an inverted dome, so that wobbling is inevitable. A foot ring is less likely to "dome" and even if it warps, it's still less likely to wobble.

Nice work, TL.

Joe

Ad de Crom
24th September 2008, 02:22 AM
Hey TL, this is really great, good job at the saucer.
And what I like the most, it's so useful. For the household??

Ad :2tsup:

artme
24th September 2008, 03:53 AM
Good work TL, you are a gifted and creative person:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

OGYT
24th September 2008, 04:52 AM
Tea Lady, you done good! I like the idea of the wooden saucers with ceramic cups. I also like the idea of cups without a handle. Sort of like an oriental mini-bowl.
Good job.

dhurrang
24th September 2008, 08:56 AM
Beautiful TL :2tsup:. My wife wants a set now :-.

Woodwould
24th September 2008, 09:06 AM
Excellent! Do you slip-mould the cups (cups or tea bowls?) or how do you make them? Do you make your own moulds, or do you buy them in?

You can tell where this is going, can't you! :roll:

oldiephred
24th September 2008, 09:19 AM
Very fine job on both. I fail to understand why the "purists" don't like the foot ring. I think it is just because someone who is considered an authority doesn't like them so the "sheep" must follow. Don't know how they ever develope any new ideas.
I particularly admire your multible skills.

tea lady
24th September 2008, 09:49 AM
Excellent! Do you slip-mould the cups (cups or tea bowls?) or how do you make them? Do you make your own moulds, or do you buy them in?

You can tell where this is going, can't you! :roll:
The cups are hand thrown and turned on a potter's wheel. Forgot to mention that bit.:D

The cups do follow the oriental idea of handle less cups on wood saucers. (There is a name for them which I can't remember right now. Haven't had my morning coffee.:yawn:)

Was thinking about the footring thing in bed this morning (As you do.:rolleyes:) another thing with the foot ring is that in use the base of the bowl/platter/object will wear a bit. On a flat base it will be this undefined smudge but with a foot ring it is a ring or a few spots on the carved feet. I find that more apeeling.

Woodwould
24th September 2008, 10:01 AM
Ah, I see. I thought you might have moulded the bowls. I vote for footrims! :2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
24th September 2008, 10:08 PM
TL
Magic effort. Great combination the fine china with the wood :2tsup: Colours go very well together
Though I must ask "can I see sanding rings in the saucer or is that just light reflections?"
In any event I like very much :clap2::thumbup1:

PS I think Woodwould is hinting!

flynnsart
24th September 2008, 10:13 PM
Very nice, good to see someone else likes to marry her different crafts together:2tsup:

Donna

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th September 2008, 10:27 PM
Very nice.

But I'm not surprised... this is the sort of thing you had in mind when you took up turning, wasn't it? :D

tea lady
24th September 2008, 11:31 PM
Very nice.

But I'm not surprised... this is the sort of thing you had in mind when you took up turning, wasn't it? :D
Yes! That is what I told myself.:rolleyes: I have made a few things though with no pottery anywhere.:doh::D

Sawdust- They're reflections I think.(Hope:C):D

Ed Reiss
25th September 2008, 02:41 AM
Getting in late on this one!:doh:

Very nice work TL:2tsup:

Cheers,

Ed :D

Sawdust Maker
25th September 2008, 02:55 PM
Sawdust- They're reflections I think.(Hope:C):D

TL - on closer examination I think you're right - they don't look to be too circular - hope I didn't cause any angst :no:

RETIRED
25th September 2008, 03:27 PM
TL - on closer examination I think you're right - they don't look to be too circular - hope I didn't cause any angst :no:Probably heaps.:D

Terry B
25th September 2008, 04:50 PM
Very nice TL
Good combination.

Sawdust Maker
26th September 2008, 08:54 AM
Probably heaps.:D

Oh no I've been grinned at by an administrator, help :o:C:q
:cool: that's me hiding behind the shades so I can't be recognised :U