PDA

View Full Version : Making wooden toys

colbra
26th March 2004, 12:08 PM
Hi All
I am interested in making wooden toys I have an old cast Iron wood turning lathe which I don't use a great deal about 900mm between centres, I was thinking of buying a delta midi lathe but also was wondering if a small metal turning lathe might be ok
having a greater range of uses that I might come across not only in the woodworking field.
Spindle speed on lathe is 100 to 3000 rpm and motor is 2/3 hp swing over bed is 180mm distance between centres is 350 mm keeping in mind that I would be only using it for small wooden toys small and mechanical gadgets in metal. The thing that concern me, is the top end speed on the metal lathe is only 3000 rpm, when the wood lathe seem a bit faster please keep in mind I don't know to much about wood turning at all I would appreciate any avice on this suject including the overall making of toys and any good books on the subject

havagooday Colbra:)

gold leader
26th March 2004, 08:37 PM
I make some wooden toys myself that I sell to a local toy store in Sydney. If you are looking for good books, the two that I have are the Readers Digest book, Toys, Games and Furniture; and Making Heirloom Toys by Jim Makowicki. Both are an excellent source of ideas, just dont muscle in on my territory lol!!

colbra
26th March 2004, 09:23 PM
Thanks for your reply gold leader I shall have a look at those books you mentioned as for musseling in I have all ready made all the money I will ever have.
The toys were for saint vincent shops and the money would not be part of any work I do for them
havagooday colba:)

rodm
26th March 2004, 10:13 PM
Colbra
I have a metal lathe/milling machine that I intended to use for both metal and woodworking. After scouring the metalworking forums the advice was that wood dust and oil (always lots of it around metal lathes) makes a fairly abrasive mix. A definite no no according to the purists.
I have never used the metal lathe for woodturning but did buy the Delta Midi with an bed extension and a copy attachment sold by Timbecon. I have been watching too many episodes of New Yankee Workshop and was inspired by him churning out duplicate table legs with the copy attachment. Getting a bit carried away here so apologies.
There is also a Jet of almost identical specification and cheaper than the Delta. Would be worth a look before you make up your mind.
Gary Pye Woodturning have a Jet look-a-like and you can view it at the following site.
http://store.yahoo.com/gpwoodturning/gpwkcml.html
I am in no way associated with any Companies I have metioned and you should look at alternative suppliers to make sure you get the right equipment and price.
Search the Woodturning area of this forum and you will see lots of relevant posts. You may also be able to get in contact with a few of the members who also make and donate toys. I can remember a recent post where somebody was looking for cheap wheels for children’s toys that he was making as donations for charities at Christmas.
All the best Colbra and I admire anybody that is willing to put themselves out for our community.

colbra
26th March 2004, 10:50 PM
Hi Rod
thanks for your reply and information on the above I have had a look in your back shed hope you don't mind. There are all sorts of goodies there I have already pinched one of your Ideas about putting wheels under my Machines do you have any trouble with them moving about when using the them. My shed is a lot smaller than yours but the way you have yours setup is a great idea sorry about getting away from the origanal story line use of metal turning lathes
havagooday Col :)

rodm
26th March 2004, 11:03 PM
Hi Col,
No problem moving the machines about. Some are a bit harder to get rolling due to the weight of the machine but once mobile no problem. Mine are very simple and made possible by the locking swivel castors. I keep pointing this out because there are locking castors that only lock the wheel and not the swivel as well. My wheels do both so when locked there is no movement.
Obviously the metalworking lathe and table saw are not on castors - just too heavy and no need to move them out of the way.

Grue
26th March 2004, 11:30 PM
There is a massive list of free plans including toys on http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~flip/plans.html

This is a collection from threads at googles rec.woodworking pages. Worth a visit for plans.

Glenn

Paul O'H. Ingersoll Canad
27th March 2004, 12:06 AM
Colbra
I make some toys for diffrent organizations that look after needy kids.
This is a good book " How to Make Animated Toys " by David Wakefield.
Some of my toys are here. Kids like simple toys with bright colors.Toys (http://frontpage.execulink.com/pohallor/toys1.htm)
If you need more info let me know
Paul

colbra
27th March 2004, 08:03 PM
Thanks fellow woodies for your help and advice on the above I will send some pictures of some toys when I get going with the project.
Paul it is good that there are other people giving toys to kids, in other parts of the world, it all makes it a better place to hang around in regards col :)