PDA

View Full Version : Salmon gum bowl

Rum Pig
29th September 2008, 09:12 AM
Hi all

On Saturday JUST BEFORE THE FOOTY:(( SWMBO was in a panic She had forgotten to buy her sister a birthday present:o and it was to late to go out and buy one so i suggest a salad bowl and swmbo was happy with that but no time to lose (or watch the footy) So I had a rough turned bowl from a tree I cut down a few months ago see link http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=75034

It looked dry when I pulled it out mounted it on the lath and It was like trying to turn concrete:~. I was not totally happy with it but time did not allow me to stuff around for to long but I do think the timber looks nice:)
Sorry about the poor photos as I said time was very very short:-

Calm
29th September 2008, 09:38 AM
Very nce job.

I bet it was appreciated as well - probably means more thatn some bought present as it was made for one person only.:2tsup::2tsup:

Cheers

Ed Reiss
29th September 2008, 12:02 PM
Rum Pig...you done good! Nice looking turning there, and especially on short notice:2tsup:

OGYT
29th September 2008, 01:33 PM
She'll love it! Nice work... :D Beautiful timber, too!

switt775
29th September 2008, 01:42 PM
Very nice, and under pressure too.

I have to ask... if there was time for you to turn and finish, but not enough time for your wife to shop...

Are you the world's fastest turner?:2tsup:

Or is your wife the world's slowest shopper?:no:

Or do you just live 50K past Woop-Woop?:D

Rum Pig
29th September 2008, 02:37 PM
<TABLE class=tborder style="BORDER-TOP- 0px" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 815506" vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 align=middle width=125>switt775</TD><TD class=alt1>Very nice, and under pressure too.

I have to ask... if there was time for you to turn and finish, but not enough time for your wife to shop...

Are you the world's fastest turner?:2tsup:

Or is your wife the world's slowest shopper?:no:

Or do you just live 50K past Woop-Woop?:D </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Defiantly not the fastest turner:no::no: could even be one of the slowest?
took about 1 1/2 hours ( it was already rough turned)
The wife is certainly not slow at shopping :no:
And yes we do live about 50 k's past the nearest gift shop that is open on a weekend:U

switt775
29th September 2008, 03:00 PM
Defiantly not the fastest turner:no::no: could even be one of the slowest?
took about 1 1/2 hours ( it was already rough turned)
The wife is certainly not slow at shopping :no:
And yes we do live about 50 k's past the nearest gift shop that is open on a weekend:U

Yer definitely not the slowest turner. I could out slow you any day, I'm sure.

Last bowl I turned took at least 2 weeks from the time I mounted the roughed out blank until I was happy with the finished product. :no::no:

That was a bit extreme, and no I wasn't standing over it the whole time, but I've yet to mount a blank and have the finished bowl in my hands the same day. So I give full credit to someone who can.

Ad de Crom
29th September 2008, 05:04 PM
Rum pig, despite you had not much time, so it had to be a quicky :D, it came out very well. A very nice birthday present.

Ad :)

artme
29th September 2008, 06:11 PM
Beautiful RP!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
Especially under pressure!

Sawdust Maker
29th September 2008, 10:17 PM
Nice work RP :2tsup:
hope she was pleased

Wish I had a hunk of timber big enough to make that :~

Rum Pig
30th September 2008, 08:43 AM
Thankyou all:U
I was unhappy with the finish but I'm over that now :D I think my sister in-law was happy with it witch is the main thing.

<TABLE class=tborder style="BORDER-TOP- 0px" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 815782" vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 align=middle width=125>Sawdust Maker</TD><TD class=alt1>
Wish I had a hunk of timber big enough to make that :~
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
If you are ever hading this way let me know and I will get some big chunks of timber for you even if I have to cut a tree down:U

robutacion
30th September 2008, 03:21 PM
Thankyou all:U
I was unhappy with the finish but I'm over that now :D I think my sister in-law was happy with it witch is the main thing.

If you are ever hading this way let me know and I will get some big chunks of timber for you even if I have to cut a tree down:U

Nice piece of wood Rum Pig, and a pretty bowl indeed.
I reckon your timber offer to Sawdust Maker is very generous, I have no doubt that you don't have to go far to cut a tree down for turning, (no use for firewood, too hot up-there:doh:). I know (knew) Humpty Doo very well, from my staying in the NT (based in Darwin City) from 1993 to 1999. Some very unusual timber out there, shame that most/some natives are of small diameter, apart from gums, obviously...!:wink:

Anyway, is a long way from the NT to NSW for Sawdust to collect wood but, but if Sawdust wants, I have plenty of already rounded blanks up to 16" diameter x up to 7" thickness, from dry, semi-dry and green timbers of all sorts. If he (Sawdust) could come up here, I would get him plenty of big stuff for him to turn "to his hearts content" for a very reasonable price but, he is still a bit too far from here too so, my next best suggestion is the 25kg box of clean timbers (blanks) for $100 delivered to his door.

I believe, Sawdust and others would know about this type sales from my Buy, Sell N'Swap thread and or from my web site, so this comment is not a sale attempt (no need for it), but only a suggestion following the thread content of generous and possible, possibilities.:D

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

Woodlee
30th September 2008, 11:11 PM
Some very unusual timber out there, shame that most/some natives are of small diameter, apart from gums, obviously...!:wink:

And most of the larger trees are already machined on the inside ,from the wood turning (eating) termites.

The tree cutters were in the next street over from me the other day and dropped a very large blood wood with a trunk about 18" diameter ,bloody shame it had a 10 hole right up the centre.Nice dark red hardwood would have made some nice pieces .It went into the chipper after they cut the log into sections and then cut it length ways

Kev

Rum Pig
1st October 2008, 08:33 AM
Oh that is a shame Kev:o:o:no: Blood wood is very nice timber.
You couldn't make the holes a decorative feature or at least make some nice pen blanks out of it:rolleyes:.
I hate seeing nice big trees like that go down and just turn to mulch even if I just get one pen blank at least the tree will not have died for nothing:rolleyes:

barnsey
20th October 2008, 04:54 AM
Just got to say that sort of wastage of something like bloodwood seems criminal.

Was with David Drescher at SE Qld Woodworking on Saturday and he has done some amazing decorative turning with hollow hearted timbers.

Just requires a little imagination but this is a feature of some very impressive timber species. Save some from the mongrel mulcher for me some time please :o