PDA

View Full Version : She Oak, your opinions?

goodwoody
28th March 2004, 01:55 AM
hello people , last year I had some She oak milled and was wondering about peoples opinions of this timber? recently I raead the article in the Australian Woodworker and was inspired.
The timber was cut into large sections mainly 5x5 , 4x4 ect about 3 meters long. During the drying timber the timber has shat itself and twisted,cupped, bent and warped so my option is short lengths for turning.
Any opinions? Damien.

ozwinner
28th March 2004, 08:38 AM
Hi
I usualy let the timber deside what it wants to be, sounds corny I know.
But if I get bent timber, it usualy ends up as contoured legs for a table or something.
I have used cupped boards for fruit platter thingies.
You could even use a cupped board for a lid of a box.
The thing with cupped stuff, is that most of the movement has happened. It should be pretty stable.

Cheers, Al

antman
31st March 2004, 08:12 PM
Hi Damien,

I'm not an expert but I have heard other woodworkers complain about SheOak. I have a large stack that was milled from a tree that came down a river in a flood and was left high and dry for about 8 years. When we cut it up it did some pretty amazing stuff as far as twists and bends go! I have since cut it down to turnable blanks and it has remained fairly stable. The one small bowl I made from it so far hasn't done anything like split or warp but I don't know about the rest.

Give it a go and see what happens.

Cheers
Anthony