PDA

View Full Version : Hercus 6a power hacksaw

footz
1st October 2008, 02:12 PM
Hi all anyone have any info on one of these?.

Hercus power hacksaw, number 6A, heavy duty, 14in, spare blades, coolant, rise & fall action, automatic return & shut-off.

I just looked at one going to buy it and leave it in the crash shop. Cutting steel with a hacksaw shows how useless I am. Machine is 3 phase hasn't been used for 13 years, ex railways I believe. Guy wants 300.00 for it so I though cheap enough and always eBay it I suppose. Or do you guys reckon I keep away from it?

As usual thanx all

damian
2nd October 2008, 03:52 PM
If it's an old reciprocating hacksaw they are truely wonderful machines, IMO far superior to the modern bandsaws

BUT..

I wouldn't pay $300 for one. It'd want to be in really good nick.

footz
2nd October 2008, 04:42 PM
Well I bought it, the guy was 76 years old I could of got it cheaper but I thought dam he is an old digger and so didnt argue the point. Good old guy and we had a bloody good yarn, he used to work in the railways. Also has a made under license old herbert lathe for sale
The saw seems good to me but I really dont know what too look for , it appears to be complete and there are couple spare blades. He has redone the pivot on the top hinging area. It is missing the belt for the coolant pump. It is 3 phase and looks like it weighs 1/2 a ton LOL.
I will take it too work check it out, as we have 3 phase and the size of the unit I think I will leave it there. The guys will probably use it for making things for home, I just want it to cut thick steel, I wish I could use a hacksaw like my dad did but basically I suck at using a hacksaw. It should be handy for cutting up the tube for my bench when I get around to building it.
I also might get a electrician to look at it I am wary of 3 phase probably because I have never done anything with it. The plug is a old black thing and I am used to seeing the ones on the machines here all being the new orange type.
And thanx to ken here is a pic of it.

damian
2nd October 2008, 04:55 PM
Yeah indestructable. It'll go forever. You have to set the rate when your cutting or it'll buck.

You should be able to fit a 240 motor if you want, they are nothing special. It'll save you a lot of sweat that saw.

footz
2nd October 2008, 05:16 PM
Ahh nice damian , when I get it here I might have to ask you a few questions on it but seems fairly straight forward. The old timer told me that it cuts to the bottom then goes up to the start position and turns off. If this works as he described that will be great. It has a handle on the arm bit but he said dont bother with it as it weighs a lot. I never realised they where a hydraulic unit I just thought they cut back wards and forwards and the weight of the arm was all there was to it.
He did suggest I bolt it to the ground as he said they break blades easily if not secured. But seeing what you said maybe he had the cutting rate incorrect. No idea here and wow there is a cutting rate lol. I can see this being another fun time for me, get ready for all the questions again. I think a moderator might end up kicking me LOL

damian
3rd October 2008, 08:22 AM
There is a knob somewhere to set teh fall rate. Start really slow then increase it till it bucks and back off a bit. Too slow and all you do is wear blades a bit more, too fast and it'll buck and break.

They definitely cut nicer bolted down.

footz
10th October 2008, 02:47 PM
Well Damian its in the crash shop, just going to change the 3phase plug do it this arvo and see how she runs. I figured out the hydraulics, and they seem to work hold the saw arm up until you move the lever. Looks a very simple beast to operate. I can see why you have to bolt it down or at least have a bit more side support, as it is a bit narrow and not very stable side ways. I might just get some angle on the front and rear for a bit of side support. It will only be used sparingly here as far as I can see, but who knows.

And other week I asked for info about the side cover retaining nuts for my lathe and this one has them on the side. Well what hercus item do I buy next LOL

damian
10th October 2008, 03:18 PM
They usually have an infeed rack attached to the side and that braces it. Bolts into floor are better though.