PDA

View Full Version : 215mm by 50mm air dried merbau

jefferson
2nd October 2008, 07:20 PM
I got a few offcuts from a timber merchant / cabinet maker that I might turn into platters. It's not overly well air-dried - apparently is was quite wet when put over the buzzer. It also seems quite heavy.

One of my wood ID books says that its good for cabinet making / furniture, but it doesn't mention turning.

Has anyone out there got any glowing (or other) reports? Dust is mentioned as a hazard but it appears food-safe.

I was thinking of rough turning it, then letting it dry for a while. At $28 per metre, it doesn't seem overly expensive.

Jeff

Ad de Crom
2nd October 2008, 07:57 PM
Jeff, you're right, this merbau can be used for furniture and also for windows and doors.
But also for woodturnings, as I did it by myself many time in the past.
When it is to wet, you can turn it roughly and let it fry in a paper bag for example.
I had a woodsurplier in town who gave me rest pieces of this wood, well it's pretty hard and heavy, so sharpen your tools

Ad

dai sensei
2nd October 2008, 08:54 PM
As Ad said, hard and heavy, but Ok for turning. Features often a bit bland for turning, better for furniture, but sometimes you can get lucky. I've just brought some back from Fiji for pepper grinders, mind you, I didn't know it was kwila.

funkychicken
2nd October 2008, 11:26 PM
Hard? Seems pretty soft to me..

tea lady
2nd October 2008, 11:51 PM
I like Murbu/kwila.:2tsup: Not that my experience is that extensive. Its kinda bland grain could lend itself to more ornate turning as the grain won't be fighting for attention.:cool: