PDA

View Full Version : Fitting VM jaws to T/tool chucks

rsser
9th October 2008, 11:42 AM
This may be of interest to turners working two sides of the street :wink:

You have the nicely made VM 90/100 jaws and added an SN2 or Titan to the kit. You'd like to use your VM jaws on your these. (Frankly, the T/tool or Nova jaws I have leave something to be desired but that's another story).

You can get adaptors to do this from Vermec. While the screw holes of the two brands line up the grooves do not. The Vermec adaptors solve this. They're about 5mm thick. BUT, the Nova chucks take 6mm screws so you have to drill out your VM jaw screw holes by a mm. No drama. The Vermec kit comes with longer 6mm screws so that's all you need to do ($35 plus postage - disclaimer: no connection commercial or personal, other than as a user of the adaptors).

www.vermec.com (http://www.vermec.com) The adaptors aren't listed on the site but just send 'em an email.

The only drawback is that shimming up the jaws on the chuck slides increases the inevitable amount of slop at the jaw faces so rechucking a piece may give you more run-out.

Hope this helps.

rsser
9th October 2008, 12:22 PM
And to add:

Enzo from Vermec advises that his 'Powergrip' jaws (knock-off of VM shark jaws) will fit the Nova SN2.

That means they should fit the Nova Titan as well.

I haven't handled them but the Nova Spigots are limited in their expansion application and on appearances Enzo's jaws would emulate the excellent VM shark jaws and be a much better buy. Just check their range of travel.

Cliff Rogers
9th October 2008, 02:15 PM
:2tsup:

rsser
9th October 2008, 07:16 PM
The adaptors are now listed on the Vermec website.

Enzo is unclear about jaw screw hole alignment with the Nova Titan chuck so I'll have another look at mine in the morning.

Manuka Jock
9th October 2008, 09:22 PM
Thanks Ern ,
I'll have a chat with the local ToolShed owner , and see if he can get a set in.
He deals with Carba-Tec for a lot of his tools , and is happy to work in with the local turners .

Sawdust Maker
9th October 2008, 09:42 PM
Thanks Ern
something to keep in mind

OGYT
10th October 2008, 04:36 AM
With that new chuck I'll be winnin' from T-tool, I guess I won't be needing these just yet, Ern. But I'll keep it in mind for later, should the need arise. :D

rsser
10th October 2008, 07:47 AM
Best of luck Al!

Craft Supplies carry some of Vermec's stuff btw.

The adaptors line up with the two inside holes of the Titan slides Jock.

Manuka Jock
10th October 2008, 09:51 AM
Good stuff Ern , thats' spot on eh
cheers mate

Gil Jones
11th October 2008, 03:57 AM
Thanks, Ern,
Another thought (at least up here anyway) is the jaws for a VicMarc 100 chuck will fit perfectly on a Grizzly 4-jaw woodturning scroll chuck > http://www.grizzly.com/products/searchresults.aspx?q=4%20jaw%20wood%20chuck <, and of course the opposite switch works too. Soooo, with a set of the Vermec adapters, I could switch jaws around on all three brands of chucks.
I presume that this scenario does not apply to a VicMarc 120 (which I do not own).
Cheers,:)

rsser
11th October 2008, 08:42 AM
Interesting.

Yes, I don't know about swapping VM120 jaws either. 120 to Titan would be useful but I guess the market might be small.

Gil Jones
11th October 2008, 09:08 AM
I have no way to test it, but I reckon the VM100 and VM120 chucks must be different enough to not allow jaw swapping between them. The VM part numbers for their VM100 and VM120 jaws are different for similarly named jaws on each chuck. http://www.vicmarc.com/default.asp?contentID=554 The VM90 and 100 jaws are the same P/N, and the VM120, 140, and 150 seem to take the same jaw P/Ns. Oh well, I have a VM100 and a Grizzly 6265, and the jaw sets interchange just fine (same screw size too). There is a large difference in cost between the VicMarc, the Grizzly chucks, and the jaws. Still, they both work quite well.

Manuka Jock
11th October 2008, 09:18 AM
Thats odd about the same but different VM jaws .
Maybe they retooled at somestage .

Gil Jones
11th October 2008, 10:52 AM
I guessed that the larger VM chucks have a larger jaw slider, and the screw spacing may be wider, so the jaws are just bigger and do not fit the smaller VM chucks (or the grooves could also be a larger arc, or in a slightly different position). It seems like this would (probably does) cause excessive inventory problems for not just VM, but also for their dealers. I doubt folks that own a VM100 and a VM120 are not so impressed with having to buy separate chucks (of the same style) for each chuck. Darn good chucks though!!! To late to change now, unless VM comes out with an adapter of some sort.

rsser
11th October 2008, 11:25 AM
That's right; the VM 100 and VM120 can't share jaws.

That SN2 and Titan can share many was a big factor in my heading in the Nova direction for extra chucks, but then the design of some of their jaws seems in some respects to me to be plain stupid.

Sawdust Maker
11th October 2008, 01:03 PM
Ern

That's twice you've commented on the tt jaws
what's your major gripe with them? or some of them?
I'm only interested because I own a few and am thus curious.
got the SN2 because that was the chuck sold by H&F when I got the lathe. In hindsight might have gone the VM but my choice then would have been purely based on Aussie product.

rsser
11th October 2008, 04:30 PM
K, fair call.

I got the 70mm bowl jaws after reading a review of them by Lyn M on Fred Holder's website. They are very bulky and on a Titan chuck have enormous grip. But Lyn criticised the rounding over of the sides of the jaw faces and that's my gripe too. GJ very kindly machined my jaw set faces down so now I've got the bite that I expect from VM shark jaws or the like.

Of course you can work around this problem but I like to have the choice not to.

The TT spigot jaws I have have no serations on the outsides, and worse a sizeable chamfer on the outside of the top. That means if you want to use them in expansion mode you need much more depth of recess than is necessary with the shark jaws from VM.

On the other hand, the Titan Powergrip jaws (which are not the same as SN2 Powergrips) have minimal rounding over and I'm very happy with those.

Hope this helps.

Sawdust Maker
11th October 2008, 07:55 PM
:2tsup:
needed to know, thanks

Manuka Jock
11th October 2008, 09:34 PM
yeah , it is a bit of an oversight in Teknatool's jaw production eh .
The serrations on the outside of the jaws , they got 'em on the inside .....

and the bloody great ariss on the rim , all it needed was to blunt the bugga , not grind the life out of it .

all in all though , I like me big Titan , and the 5 inch jaws :D
Good Kiwi made gear eh :2tsup:

rsser
11th October 2008, 09:53 PM
Yeah, my Titan is Kiwi made too.

A nice bit of kit eh.

Dunno 'bout later versions.

Manuka Jock
11th October 2008, 10:16 PM
Wouldn't it be great if the manufacturers were keeping tabs on all the turning forums ,
and taking note of our research and development ideas and improvements :D

RETIRED
11th October 2008, 11:00 PM
Wouldn't it be great if the manufacturers were keeping tabs on all the turning forums ,
and taking note of our research and development ideas and improvements :DT'would surprise you who peeks in here.:secret::fisch:

rsser
12th October 2008, 10:10 AM
Well I believe Lyn M made the point about the arrissed 70mm bowl jaws to T/tool but nothing had changed when I got mine. I emailed them about it and got no reply.