PDA

View Full Version : Amazing what you find while driving down the road!

Stryker223
12th October 2008, 11:19 AM
I was going to the hardware store and boom, there was a cedar tree that had been cut down and the folks just wanted it gone! I got all of it I could haul! :D Only thing I left was a big chunk about 6 foot long by 14" round and it still bugs me that I don't have a truck to go get it! I stashed the wood in my old work shop so it's stored in a nice dry place!
I have a project in mind for one section of the wood but I need to ask you guys about it.
Can I turn this wood on center as it is, concentric with the rings or will it chip at the rings?
Thanks for any tips you can give me!
Here's a couple pix of my haul!! :p

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v413/L6steel/misc/CEDAR2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v413/L6steel/misc/CEDAR.jpg

OGYT
12th October 2008, 01:04 PM
What a great haul of cedar!!!
All I know about cedar:
It is soft, so I use faster speeds, sharper tools, and lighter cuts, when I get near to finished thickness.
It will crack so easy it's surprising, so when I'm sanding, I slow the lathe down more than with other wood, so it takes a lot longer time to sand it smooth. The heat from sanding is what causes the cracking. I also sand to at least 600 grit and use a very light touch when in the last two or three grits. If you'll wet sand with danish oil, it will help it not to crack.
Danish Oil will really "pop" the color.
It's gorgeous wood, and you never know what sort of swirls of grain you'll get 'til you get there.
Sorry, I don't know how to answer your question about the endgrain turning.

Manuka Jock
12th October 2008, 01:31 PM
Michael ,
You could turn a scruffy piece of the haul , and test the endgrain turning possibilities .

have you sealed the ends ?

derekcohen
12th October 2008, 06:00 PM
Better seal the ends ASAP. Any paint will do.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Ad de Crom
12th October 2008, 06:10 PM
Michael, good find, as I found a couple of month ago on the same way birch.
Have fun with that stuff.
Ad

Rum Pig
13th October 2008, 08:52 AM
Good score :2tsup::2tsup:
I'm sure what ever you do will be fantastic. And since the wood is free you can just have a go without thinking about the $$

Stryker223
14th October 2008, 07:47 AM
Hey guy, thanks for reminding me to seal the ends of the wood!!!! I have a gallon of Kilz primer sealer and painted one end of the chunks last night and will do the other ends tonight!
I just finished roughing a section of the cedar about 12" long and 6" diameter. My lathe was vibrating something fierce till I got the stock round, lol! My lathe isn't a real expensive one so it doesnt weigh much.
Now I have to decide what to make out of the wood! :)
I was thinking about a vase but I don't have a stock support. Will it work if I cut an arc in a piece of wood the same radius as the stock in the lathe and mount it under the turning? I know this is crude but I can't afford the wheels to make a support right now.
Thanks so much for all your kind words and helpful information!!!

Ed Reiss
14th October 2008, 08:12 AM
I was thinking about a vase but I don't have a stock support. Will it work if I cut an arc in a piece of wood the same radius as the stock in the lathe and mount it under the turning? I know this is crude but I can't afford the wheels to make a support right now.

Only if you want to wind up at Santa Rosa Hospital!!!

Steady rests have wheels for a reason. Homemade steady rests can be made fairly cheaply. Roller blade wheels can be used...check out some second hand stores (like Goodwill) for them. Google "homemade (or shopmade) lathe steady rest" for construction ideas.

Attached is a pic of a commercial steady rest...note the wheels.

Good luck and "turn safely"!!!

Manuka Jock
14th October 2008, 08:18 AM
Michael ,
I don't think that a wooden 'stock support ' is a good idea.
It sounds too ridged , and an accident may result .
And it is not adjustable , so you will have to make a new one each time you shift position .
Better to spend the time making a proper one , and be set for life

I vaguely recall a method using string . Google 'string center steady' and see what comes up .

For conventional center steady rest wheels , some use old roller blade wheels .
Google 'center steady rest' , there is no shortage of plans .
And of course , there will be threads on here , the search function will help there.

But , I hazard a guess , that an experienced steady maker or two will turn up on this thread :U

Manuka Jock
14th October 2008, 08:20 AM
Bugga , Ed types faster that me :D

Stryker223
14th October 2008, 08:24 AM
Thanks guys!!!
I've got pix of a couple shop made steady rests, just gotta come up with the wheels for one.
I'll get em payday for sure, I can always put off turning this thing!

Ed Reiss
14th October 2008, 12:14 PM
Bugga , Ed types faster that me :D

Faster than a speeding bullet!!!:U Ha..wish that was true, only half way through the "hunt and peck" course:doh:

BTW Michael...it's never a good thing to have a lathe shaking all over the place before getting a blank round and running true...it really is dangerous. Best to start rounding a blank at the lowest speed possible, then up the speed after that.

Stryker223
14th October 2008, 03:37 PM
It was at the lowest speed possible, lol!

Ed Reiss
14th October 2008, 11:21 PM
It was at the lowest speed possible, lol!

Then the blank was considerably off-center.:C

Check out Alan Lacer's article on lathe speed:

http://azwoodturners.org/LatheSpeed.pdf

joe greiner
15th October 2008, 10:08 PM
There's a boatload of steady rests on this very forum. Here's one: http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=68735

The string steady is totally inappropriate for heavy, out-of-balance, pieces; better for "trembleurs" and such.

Put some ballast on a lower shelf of your lathe bench to reduce walkabout. I use two buckets of railroad spikes.

Joe

Stryker223
20th October 2008, 02:00 PM
Hey guys, should I peel the bark off this wood or just leave it alone?
Thanks for your help!!!

Manuka Jock
20th October 2008, 03:02 PM
Michael , that usually depends on the final result that you want , a bit , or a lot , of natural edge , or not .
But this time , for research purposes , maybe you should leave it on .

That bark has a flaky look about it , so best to wear ya Lone Ranger mask and bandanna mate , 'cos its gonna get mighty dusty :D