PDA

View Full Version : Yay!

bigfish
13th October 2008, 11:18 PM
Hello all.

Tonight I went along to the ACT Woodcraft Guild (of which I am a relatively new member) to their Monday night Woodturning SIG.

Luckily for me, it was raining cats and dogs and only a few people turned up. We had a discussion on the finer (and some less fine) points on the design of bowls with a couple of members bringing examples of their "good bowls" and "bad bowls" and explaining why they held that particular view.

For someone whose turning experience amounts to a a few pens, it was quite interesting and educational.

The real high point of the evening though, was some one on one tuition by some of the longstanding members of the Guild. I learnt a great deal about technique in a very short space of time and now feel a lot more confident that my practice will generate more than sawdust and shavings.

For any other newcomers out there, I cannot recommend highly enough that you should make every effort to join your local guild or club. Not only will you get expert advice and tuition to get you heading in the right direction, you'll also destroy a whole lot less wood.

To those present at tonight's meeting, my heartfelt thanks.:2tsup:

Now to go and sweep up a very big pile of fluffy shavings!

Cheers,
Alan

(PS. Brag alert on - Nice to have Richard Raffan on hand to give me some pointers!):D

tea lady
13th October 2008, 11:22 PM
Sounds like a good time was had by all.:2tsup: Its great when it starts coming together, isn't it. :wave:

bigfish
13th October 2008, 11:34 PM
Sounds like a good time was had by all.:2tsup: Its great when it starts coming together, isn't it. :wave:
Sure is.

I now understand how a gouge works (and it is not how I thought it did!) and I also have some concept of controlling the tool - although I have a long way to go.

I need lots of practice - especially in trying to turn consistent curves (they tend to have bumps in them) and trying to turn flats that don't dip in the middle!

Buts thanks to the guys at the guild, I feel I can only go up from here!

Cheers,
Alan

OGYT
14th October 2008, 04:46 AM
Good on ya, Alan. Wish I'd had some pointers when I got started. Go get'em! :D

Ed Reiss
14th October 2008, 07:47 AM
I need lots of practice - especially in trying to turn consistent curves (they tend to have bumps in them) and trying to turn flats that don't dip in the middle!
Cheers,
Alan

Ahhh, yes.....ain't it sweet when it all comes together!:2tsup:.....and like the saying goes, "How do you get to Carnagie Hall (or, Sydney Opera House)?......practice, practice, practice!"

Sawdust Maker
14th October 2008, 08:46 AM
Ripper :2tsup:
I'm glad it turned out alright for you. :D

unfortunately my local chapter is a fair drive (in b.... Sydney traffic) and thus hard to do