PDA

View Full Version : Any Ideas, and do you want some???

Wayne Blanch
15th October 2008, 07:41 PM
A friend of mine had some unknown wood that she wanted me to turn a bowl from for her. Went there and spent an hour swinging of the end of the chainsaw this morning. I got wood for her bowl and some for me.

I also managed to get some to share with the local "forumites" if anyone wants some. I have 9 bits to give away. First in best dressed. I am in the Bayside region of Brisbane (Birkdale for the locals)

I am curious as to what it is. It is obviously some sort of gum but I am not sure what it is.

Many of my friends have received items that were marked as "Beenatree" wood and also some "Whatimber" but I think the novelty is wearing off. If you have any idea I would love to be able identify it.

In the photos you have:

1. Some of the Bark

2. A piece of it, wet to show the grain.

3. The wood to go. Note the 12 inch steel rule on top of the tallest piece go give scale

4 & 5. A bowl I knocked up this afternoon to see what it was like. Bowls dimensions are 270mm wide x 130mm high.

Anyone interested in coming and getting some of the wood can PM me, or email on [email protected]

funkychicken
15th October 2008, 07:43 PM
Looks like bloodwood to me, does it smell?

I might be interested in swiping some, I might be going to Brisbane soon

Manuka Jock
15th October 2008, 08:21 PM
Wayne ,
from this side of the Tasman , it looks like a Bloodybeautifulwood tree to me .
Thats a stunner of a grain you have there mate :2tsup:
If you can hang on to a piece for a month or two , I would love to try it.
I'm planning on spending a long Christmas / New Year at my brother's place in Redbank near Ipswich .
Not that he has a lathe , but I'll bring it back home if I have too :U

cheers ,
Jock

Sawdust Maker
15th October 2008, 09:07 PM
looks pretty good to me

I might have a colleague coming down from you neck of the woods. I'll see if I can prevail on her to bring me down a bit.

what's baggage allowance on jetstar?

Wayne Blanch
15th October 2008, 09:37 PM
Looks like bloodwood to me, does it smell?

I might be interested in swiping some, I might be going to Brisbane soon

It doesn't have any noticeable scent to it, just smells like wood to me:doh:. It is pretty hard, but most gums are.

If you contact me before you come to Brisbane I'll be able to tell you what I have left.

See ya
Wayne

Wayne Blanch
15th October 2008, 09:50 PM
Wayne ,
from this side of the Tasman , it looks like a Bloodybeautifulwood tree to me .
Thats a stunner of a grain you have there mate :2tsup:
If you can hang on to a piece for a month or two , I would love to try it.
I'm planning on spending a long Christmas / New Year at my brother's place in Redbank near Ipswich .
Not that he has a lathe , but I'll bring it back home if I have too :U

cheers ,
Jock

If there is any left when you get here you are welcome to some, however it is pretty heavy and the cost to get it home may be prohibitive. :~

Wayne

Wayne Blanch
15th October 2008, 10:17 PM
looks pretty good to me

I might have a colleague coming down from you neck of the woods. I'll see if I can prevail on her to bring me down a bit.

what's baggage allowance on jetstar?

This stuff is pretty heavy, I reckon that Jetstar would be rubbing their hands together with glee if you were to take in on their plane:U.

The bowl that I turned this afternoon weighs 2.6kg and it is only 270mm x 130mm. I would guess that the smallest bit of the other stuff would be at least two or three times that weight.

Wayne

Wizened of Oz
15th October 2008, 10:36 PM
Reckon FC is right on.
Pink bloodwood, Eucalyptus intermedia.

Texian
16th October 2008, 12:55 PM
Wayne,
That's a good friend. Beautiful wood! Sadly I do not have enough money to get even a small piece of it from there to here. Very nice bowl.

texx
16th October 2008, 05:25 PM
if its real heavy i doubt that its blood wood .
blood wood form our area here is or was used for the floors on truck trays and stuff like that , and the reason was because its as strong as ironbark and spotted gum but its only half the weight .( keeps the tare weight down )
having said that though there are a lot of different timbers that are called blood wood ,
a friend of mine owns a saw mill and has built a few houses for himself and the last one he built he used our local blood wood for all the internal trims and finished them in clear gloss they are very dark red with the normal blood veins .

Wizened of Oz
17th October 2008, 12:19 PM
if its real heavy i doubt that its blood wood .

Definitely talking about a different "bloodwood" there.
Pink bloodwood is a very common tree in SE Qld & northern NSW. Have quite a bit of it on my place.
It's density is given as 1010 kg/cu.m at 12% moisture, so no lightweight.

Texian
17th October 2008, 02:13 PM
texx,
Y'all in Texas, USA?

skot
17th October 2008, 05:24 PM
Just a note to say thank you to Wayne for the pieces of timber that I picked up today. He is a great bloke and it's good to find someone who is willing to give away nice timber and asks nothing in return.

I hope I can recipricate some day if I get my hands on some exotic pieces of stray wood.

Thanks again Wayne

Wayne Blanch
18th October 2008, 09:50 AM
Just a note to say thank you to Wayne for the pieces of timber that I picked up today. He is a great bloke and it's good to find someone who is willing to give away nice timber and asks nothing in return.

I hope I can recipricate some day if I get my hands on some exotic pieces of stray wood.

Thanks again Wayne

No problems Scott, as I said it is much better to see the timber go to use than to waste it.
Enjoy
Wayne