PDA

View Full Version : Handscrew Clamps

DarrylF
1st April 2004, 11:42 PM
I picked up a couple of Jorgenson handscrew clamp kits ages ago - finally decided to do something with them. The wood is rosewood I had left over from the side table project.

Cliff Rogers
1st April 2004, 11:53 PM
G'day.

Cool.

Do you have any more of the rosewood left over to make matching handles?

DarrylF
2nd April 2004, 06:53 AM
I actually thought about doing that - then I realised they're clamps, and I didn't really want to spend the time on it :)

DPB
8th April 2004, 09:50 AM
So where did you get the kit for the clamps? Can there be much of a saving over purchasing the whole clamp?:confused:

DarrylF
9th April 2004, 08:57 PM
I actually found them at my local Gasweld. Wasn't trying to save money - just wanted nicer timber jaws than the complete ones.

Barry_White
10th April 2004, 10:29 AM
Gasweld sell both the kits and the complete items. I think there is about a $15.00 saving by buying the kit plus the satifaction of making them.

Sturdee
10th April 2004, 12:12 PM
Barry,

I have designed and am currently making my own handscrews clamps and will post details in due course.
For comparison of costs involved can you find out how much the kits are and what it contains as I have not been able to find them in Melbourne and I can't find a website for Gasweld.

Many thanks.

Peter.

Barry_White
10th April 2004, 03:38 PM
From memory Peter the kits are about $25.00 and contain the two hand screws with handles and the four threaded bushes.

From memory the completed unit is about $40.00

That is only for the smallest one which is about 5 inches long.

The Jorgeson Clamps actually come in a few different sizes.

BTW There is no Gasweld branches in Victoria, only NSW and SA

The closest one south is Albury.

Rocker
10th April 2004, 06:05 PM
Carbatec have four different sizes of complete handscrew clamps in their catalogue; they range from $9 for the 50 mm throat to $19 for the 165 mm throat ones.

Rocker

Sturdee
10th April 2004, 06:06 PM
Thanks Barry,

That makes making my own a good proposition as it cost me $ 2.71 for hardware and the timber was recycled and free.

Peter.

silentC
10th April 2004, 07:47 PM
I think Mik sells the Jorgenson kits.