PDA

View Full Version : Rings on dining table...

Bywong builder
19th October 2008, 01:46 AM
I have recently bought an old Parker double extension dining table, and the teak tabletop has a couple of prominent water stains from glasses or cups.

Any suggestions on removing them, to be done as part of a general refinishing of the table, for which I would also appreciate some advice on the best way of going about tarting it up. Other than the rings, it seems in good condition, but looks pretty dull and lifeless at the moment.

Any advice as to what to use, how to use it, and where to get it, would be appreciated.

(Tried search, and got nothing, which surprised me...)

RufflyRustic
19th October 2008, 09:05 AM
Hiya,

My suggestions:
1. Sand away the finish that is there, go gently at it, i.e. make sure it is solid and not veneered. If it's veneered, you'll need to be very gentle sanding down the table.

Or

2. Instead of sanding, give it a light clean when a slightly water-damp cloth to get rid of the grime. Then a polisher reviver might be the next best thing to use.

A little hard to say, without pictures, but hopefully the second option will give you what you want.

and lastly, whatever option, always try out the products on a test piece, or for the table, somewhere inconspicuous first.

cheers
Wendy

Chesand
19th October 2008, 09:22 AM
[QUOTE=RufflyRustic;826022]Hiya,
Then a polisher reviver might be the next best thing to use.

Our sponsors product works a treat

snapman007
19th October 2008, 09:30 AM
Try a search in the forum. It may be a simple fix like spraying hair spray on it. Good luck with it.

niall
19th October 2008, 10:29 AM
I have recently bought an old Parker double extension dining table, and the teak tabletop has a couple of prominent water stains from glasses or cups.

Any suggestions on removing them, to be done as part of a general refinishing of the table, for which I would also appreciate some advice on the best way of going about tarting it up. Other than the rings, it seems in good condition, but looks pretty dull and lifeless at the moment.

Any advice as to what to use, how to use it, and where to get it, would be appreciated.

(Tried search, and got nothing, which surprised me...)
we used just recently a product that worked wonders on some old furniture restored the finish very well , so well we might try it on some more things around the house. Sadly I cant remember the name, but if u are interested I will ask the wife the name of it..

Claw Hama
19th October 2008, 10:32 AM
My option would be to get some 0000 steelwool and some SIFA furniture oil or similar and give it a light polish. This removes all the grime and dull spots and puts some oil back into it. Try it on an out of the way spot first to make sure you are happy with the result.

Claw Hama
19th October 2008, 10:35 AM
PS. the rings can sometimes be taken out by placeing a few layers paper down and then going over with a warm iron.

Bywong builder
19th October 2008, 07:49 PM
Thanks all for the replies.

Yes, it is veneer, which makes me nervous when sanding/rubbing is involved.

Chesand - OK, I'll bite :wink:, which sponsor, which product?

I will try the iron and paper trick first, that seems a low risk option.

Thanks again for your quick replies:2tsup:

Ed

astrid
20th October 2008, 10:00 PM
Stop,
The Iron and paper trick is for raw timber stained with oil, dont put a warm iron on any sort of finish unless you know what your doing.

try just rubbing the rings hard enough to generate heat with a bit of olive oil on a rag, this works sometimes

Skew ChiDAMN!!
21st October 2008, 04:28 PM
What Astrid said. A paste of fine cigarette ash can also do the trick if the rings are solely in the finish, although it's apparently socially incorrect to actually have any conveniently lying to hand. :rolleyes:

ubeaut
21st October 2008, 09:20 PM
Polish Reviver http://www.ubeaut.com.au/reviver.html made specifically for the purpose.

Chesand
21st October 2008, 09:43 PM
Polish Reviver http://www.ubeaut.com.au/reviver.html made specifically for the purpose.

This product - the sponsor/owner of this Board

AJ
4th November 2008, 11:35 PM
Yep
Ubeaut polish reviver is one of the best on the market. I sold it for many years in my business and had very positive feedback from all of my customers who tried it.
:2tsup: AJ

NaomiA
27th November 2008, 03:03 AM
We had some black stains on some solid teak garden furniture and we used a special low strength oxylic acid recommended by a carpenter which worked very well. But I would be careful with veneered wood.

Papa
27th November 2008, 03:43 AM
Peanut butter works on some marks.

astrid
27th November 2008, 06:12 PM
That will be the oil in it and maybe the nuts add an abraisive

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th November 2008, 06:15 PM
Either that or the fine abrasive of the dog's tongue... :D

astrid
28th November 2008, 03:50 PM
:d

Bywong builder
13th January 2009, 09:55 PM
Thanks for all the helpful replies, I will try some of the reviver and see how I go from there.

:D

andrewsd
18th January 2009, 10:57 AM
If it has stained the actual wood you will have difficulty taking the marks out. You can get them out with oxalic but that will bleach the veneer and leave you with white marks. You can try cabinet scraping the veneer but the veneer is likely to be so thin that the marks are completely through it and scraping/sanding won't help. The only solution is to take the old coat off then:

1 LIGHTLY sand by hand;

2 Re-stain, if you can make up or buy the one that matches the old stain;

3 Touch out the marks with pigment;

4 Re-lacquer with nitrocellulose or otherwise finish to your preference.

If the marks are too big to be touched out or if you aren't very experienced at touching out, you will be better off to leave the old marks as they are. Once stained and refinished, the marks will fade a little and look less objectionable. Besides, the marks reflect the life of the piece and add to its history and "lived with" look, which I quite like.

Good luck.

NaomiA
23rd January 2009, 08:10 AM
just out of intrest, how did you get on?

Bywong builder
30th January 2009, 08:36 PM
just out of intrest, how did you get on?

:- Errr.... There has just been too much happening here, and it hasn't (yet) made the 'must do today' list....

I will post an update as soon as there is something to update you about.

Bino
2nd February 2009, 10:30 AM
I saw a demo of a way of removing rings at a woodwork show in the UK .
You wipe metho over the surface then set fire to it! It realy does the job but you have to work quickly. I haven't tried it myself yet, wouldn't like to use it on a valuable piece without a bit of practice.

Bino

pugwash
2nd February 2009, 01:00 PM
Are the rings black or white?
If they are white then a quick rub with cigarette ash and cooking oil takes em out like magic!

Timber Jill
16th April 2009, 12:23 PM
I have found a product that works wonders on white rings and heat marks on my antique furniture. It's called Restor-A-Finish by Howard Products. Check out their website.

hap97
16th April 2009, 06:14 PM
I have found a product that works wonders on white rings and heat marks on my antique furniture. It's called Restor-A-Finish by Howard Products. Check out their website.

I can vouch for Restore-a-Finish, it is an excellent product for restoring old finishes and repairs like white rings.
http://www.howardproducts.com.au/products/restor-a-finish.htm
Note: If the white rings are on a well polished table, use a rag rather than fine steel wool in the first instance.
Hilton

toolbagsPLUS
23rd April 2009, 08:54 AM
If they are water stain (white) play a heat gun over them gently and they will disappear, Libron have a product called ring remover i was told you can get it from Freedom Furniture. Sometimes a hair-dryer will work but not a good or as quickly. If it's through the surface into the chipbard below then i'm sorry but not much you can do.:no:

Cheers

Steve

jaywit
24th April 2009, 11:46 PM
Used to use the method all the time with french polish,also works on lacquer (sometimes)precat has always been a pain in the a''s,it is more resistant to marking but when it does get marked it's almost impossible to do a good touchup