PDA

View Full Version : Where did I go wrong?

jales4
20th October 2008, 12:51 PM
Hello,

Today I attempted my first turning project on my lathe. I mounted a 8 inch diameter softwood log (about 10" in length), using a faceplate with 4 1" screws.

I had been turning for about 30 minutes, when all of a sudden the whole log came flying at me. The faceplate was still mounted, with all the screws still in it.

Was this because it was softwood? Were the screws too short? Is a faceplate not strong enough to hold a piece of wood this size?

Thanks in advance for any and all answers. Jales

RETIRED
20th October 2008, 01:02 PM
Get lessons or watch a few videos on how it should be done or you will seriously hurt yourself.

You made about 3 major mistakes.
1: You don't mount a log into end grain with a face plate. Use a drive spur and the tail stock.
2: Speed was probably too fast for the size.
3: you are inexperienced and shouldn't be attempting things this size without knowing what you are doing.
There are probably others like incorrect chisel for the purpose but I wasn't there.

Do not lose heart but find out a little more about it before you try again.

Gra
20th October 2008, 01:10 PM
:whs:

Manuka Jock
20th October 2008, 01:11 PM
Hello Jales ,

First off , were you hurt ?
Second , Faceplates on their own are for flat wood , ie; plates , bowls etc ,
Not for long wood , that is Spindle turning
What were you trying to turn , to make ?
Did you bring up the tailstock center and use that as well ?

If you only used the faceplate to support the log , then the cantilevered weight was too much for the screws to hold .
Given the size and weight of your log , both softwood and hard would will fail under those conditions .

Texian
20th October 2008, 02:32 PM
Jales,
Welcome to this forum. Lots of smart, helpful folks here. Well, maybe a few.

To add to what has been said, what you tried might have been successful IF you had used a live center in the tailstock to support the other end of the log, and used at least 6 screws, 1-1/2", in the faceplate. But as stated, perhaps better to rough a log between centers, with a spur drive center in the spindle and a pointy live center in the tailstock.

jales4
20th October 2008, 03:36 PM
Hi everyone,

Wow - thanks for all the answers, and so quickly too!

After reading the common sense responses, I am saying "Well DUH!" and smacking my forehead at my foolishness.

In hindsight, why I wasn't using the tailstock is beyond me.... I was following instructions from a book - but the book wasn't using end grain.

As for hurt... I'm a girl, and the log hit me in the upper chest. I'm sore - but I'm sure it could have been worse.

I have watched some videos on Utube, but I am putting my chisels away until I have someone standing next to me, to show me and correct me.

I taught myself how to use a scroll saw, and other than making a whole lot of sawdust and nothing else for months, that went okay.

The lathe, I'm thinking, is too dangerous for trial and error lessons.

So, before I go and find someone to teach me, I'll get the things I need - namely chucks. I plan on turning bowls - salad bowls, maybe some trivets, some small boxes, things like that. No spindles, no pens, no shakers.

My lathe came with a faceplate and a 4 prong driving centre. What chuck would you recommend that I purchase?

Thank you so much for your responses, I REALLY appreciate the feedback.

Jales

Pat
20th October 2008, 04:03 PM
Jales, what brand is your lathe? Then you have to know your spindle size (http://www.teknatool.com/products/Chucks/Identifying%20Lathe%20Spindle%20Thread.pdf), 1*10 = 1" diameter by 10 threads per inch (25.4mm*10). Most chucks have a 1 1/4" threaded recess, that you can get reducing inserts to fit a particular lathe.

A live centre is required in your tailstock. Still useful when turning bowls at the start. The more secure a blank is, the safe you are - no sore chests or heads (I have learnt the hard way to duck exploding blanks :doh: )

I agree with the sentiment of starting with someone to watch over you, but if you really have to play, start small. Turn some fillials from 1" (25.4mm) stock, no more than 4" (100mm) long. They still give a good smack but minimises the chance of a more serious injury.

I'll list some websites for your reading pleasure - being good for learners etc.

Around the woods (http://www.aroundthewoods.com/)

Woodturners Resource (http://www.turnwood.net/projects_techniques.html)

Ubeaut's Woodworking Forums, ie us mob. Pay particular attention to the likes of , Rssr, Titt and Neil.

tea lady
20th October 2008, 04:19 PM
Hi everyone,

Wow - thanks for all the answers, and so quickly too!

After reading the common sense responses, I am saying "Well DUH!" and smacking my forehead at my foolishness.

In hindsight, why I wasn't using the tailstock is beyond me.... I was following instructions from a book - but the book wasn't using end grain.

As for hurt... I'm a girl, and the log hit me in the upper chest. I'm sore - but I'm sure it could have been worse.

I have watched some videos on Utube, but I am putting my chisels away until I have someone standing next to me, to show me and correct me.

I taught myself how to use a scroll saw, and other than making a whole lot of sawdust and nothing else for months, that went okay.

The lathe, I'm thinking, is too dangerous for trial and error lessons.

So, before I go and find someone to teach me, I'll get the things I need - namely chucks. I plan on turning bowls - salad bowls, maybe some trivets, some small boxes, things like that. No spindles, no pens, no shakers.

My lathe came with a faceplate and a 4 prong driving centre. What chuck would you recommend that I purchase?

Thank you so much for your responses, I REALLY appreciate the feedback.

Jales

Hi Jales. Welcome to the forum.:cool: That was a bit of a big lump to be starting with. But don't give up. You still don't quite NEED a chuck to start turning. (I am coveting one too though.:rolleyes:) Your teacher will probably have the things you need for the lessons anyway, and will send you on the right path for the required equipment. And there is also jam chucks and other home made options that you can do. (But hey! If money isn't a worry....:shrug: ) Don't totally discount spindle turning. Its fun too.:2tsup:And prolly what the teacher will start you off on.

Manuka Jock
20th October 2008, 04:33 PM
Jales , can you tell us what sort of lathe you have , it will give a better idea re. advice .

And post some photos too , we likes pic on here :)

Toolin Around
20th October 2008, 04:42 PM
Where abouts are you located? If in victoria you should look up the Vancouver Island Woodworkers Guild www.viwg.com (http://www.viwg.com) lots of folks there to show you what to do. If in Vancouver there should be a couple groups you can look up on google.

tea lady
20th October 2008, 04:43 PM
Jales , can you tell us what sort of lathe you have , it will give a better idea re. advice .

And post some photos too , we likes pic on here :)

And you don't really have to post pics of the bruise, no matter how much the blokes beg.:rolleyes:

chrisb691
20th October 2008, 05:14 PM
And you don't really have to post pics of the bruise, no matter how much the blokes beg.:rolleyes:
TL. Sometimes you are a killjoy. :D

joe greiner
21st October 2008, 12:17 AM
Welcome aboard, Jales.

Don't listen to all these boobs; just some of them.

There are three AAW chapters in British Columbia. Go to https://www.woodturner.org/
Select "AAW Local Chapters" from the menu on the left side of the page. Then select "Local Chapter List." From there, select Canada for the Search.

Absent hands-on (no pun intended!) guidance, you can in fact teach yourself quite a bit. Have a gander in your local library for some books or videos, before you commit to purchase them.

A little more info about your lathe would help us here. Most of us know what bruises look like all too well.

Joe

Ed Reiss
21st October 2008, 01:38 AM
Hi Jales....glad to hear that the injury wasn't too serious.

Welcome to the wonderfully addictive world of woodturning!!:2tsup:

Manuka Jock
21st October 2008, 04:56 AM

The suggestion regarding photos is for , and about the lathe .

tea lady
21st October 2008, 10:15 PM
The suggestion regarding photos is for , and about the lathe .
Yes I know.:; Its just that my motto is "never pass up the opportunity for a stir".:rolleyes: :stirthepot: :D

joe greiner
22nd October 2008, 12:39 AM
Yes I know.:; Its just that my motto is "never pass up the opportunity for a stir".:rolleyes: :stirthepot: :D

My motto is "Sometimes pass up the opportunity for a stir.":wink::wink:

Joe

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd October 2008, 01:02 AM
My motto is "Bring it to the attention of TeaLady if you want a stir..." http://www.ubeaut.biz/smarty.gif

Jales, frankly I wouldn't recommend you chasing up a chuck. Not yet, anyway.

A chuck is nice to have and can do things a faceplate can't, but it works the other way too. Save your money until your skills are up to the point where you need a chuck.

A faceplate can hold a blank much more securely than a chuck and is just as easy to use. So long as you use correctly sized screws and get the blank roughly balanced, a faceplate is also safer than a chuck. (But this doesn't mean it won't violently throw wood at you if you make a stupid mistake... it just means it takes a bigger mistake. :; )

Seriously!

jales4
25th October 2008, 09:24 AM
Once again, thank you all for your replies.

Joe's suggestion of contacting an AAW Chapter was very nice - unfortunately (or fortunately in most cases) I live in Northern BC.

I will try to get some pictures of my lathe posted. I bought it second hand, and it is a monster.

I think I will hold off on a chuck - I was stunned to see how expensive they are!! Or else I'll use the link provided to Around the Woods website, and create my own. It doesn't look very difficult.

My first lesson is tomorrow evening. It has been a few years since my 'instructor' has been on a lathe, but he assures me he remembers everything well. :U

I'm looking forward to creating something, and doing it pain free.

Thank you all again, I'm overwhelmed by the kindness of everyone who posted.

Jales