PDA

View Full Version : T&WWW show - what's worth looking out for

rsser
24th October 2008, 04:40 PM
These were my 'finds':

Irwin quick clamps, pack of 4 6" jobs $25

Vicmarc stand: some fair prices on unhandled P&N tools

Vicmarc stand, on the outside of the West wall: some seconds jaws for VM120s - long nose and shark, at $35. Also tool handles at $10 and maybe one or two 70mm jaw sets for VM100 left.

Suspect this may not prove to be a 'find' but there was plenty of Ancient Kauri and one piece found its way into my backpack. Serious bikkies though.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th October 2008, 04:58 PM
I don't s'pose you noticed whether anyone had Metabo Duo ROS's there?

(I have agents on the lookout for me, but it looks like they're having too much fun to report back. :wink:)

Forget I asked... silly question. You can't turn with 'em, so you wouldn't have noticed. :D

rsser
24th October 2008, 05:09 PM
Well, as it happened, Metabo had a decent presence there but as for Duo ROSs sorry, wasn't looking that close.

Was faintly tempted by a 12" Bosch SCMS but I have new skis to pay for yet for Unzud next year. And for rebuilding the knee to use them :( The Bosch could prob. do a bit of the knee work but the surgeon might have his own kit :rolleyes:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th October 2008, 05:22 PM
Well, as it happened, Metabo had a decent presence there but as for Duo ROSs sorry, wasn't looking that close.

Was faintly tempted by a 12" Bosch SCMS but I have new skis to pay for yet for Unzud next year. And for rebuilding the knee to use them :( The Bosch could prob. do a bit of the knee work but prob. the surgeon has his own kit :rolleyes:

One good thing about new skis is that it means you can use the old ones for splints. :p

Thanks for the info, Ern. I thought they'd have a presence but because I'm not attending I haven't researched it. (I hate window shopping. Why tease myself?)

As the Duo is one of their choicer offerings, I'd imagine they'd be showing 'em there and that there's now one with my name on it. :fingers Xed:

rsser
24th October 2008, 05:23 PM
Just to add some v. casual observations about what wood was there:

Seemed to be more Huon than last year.

Also much more figured Tas Myrtle.

And more high-colour Camphor Laurel.

jefferson
24th October 2008, 05:44 PM
Ern,

I hope you're going back tomorrow and can haggle - see my VL100 post!

Was there in all his finery? DJ?

Jeff

rsser
24th October 2008, 05:53 PM
Most of the usual suspects were there Jeff :rolleyes:

FWIW I've found that if you don't get that item at the show you were lusting after, a phone call to the retailer up to a week later asking if they'll do the show price for you will work.

And for others: don't forget the Woody's discount mentioned elsewhere on this forum.

Thanks to DJ for bringing this to my attention today.

rsser
24th October 2008, 07:50 PM
Here was my wood find.

Useful reminder to me that it's all about the wood

.... obsessed as sometimes one may become about tools.

GJ picked this bit out; shows that even a metal guy might have an eye for a good lump :wink:

It's a CL platter blank; never seen this colour before.

Will re-centre it and hope that the branch rot doesn't go too deep.

tea lady
24th October 2008, 09:08 PM
Pretty. :lust: I hope you left some nice bits behind for me.

So how much was a lump of that anciant Kauri? :hmm:

Stuart
24th October 2008, 09:28 PM
I am really sus about that ancient Kauri - someone else can cast a more expert opinion over it, but it seems too 'fresh' to be swamp kauri - ie buried under anaerobic mud for 45,000 years, otherwise how did it get that old?

I have some here, and it looks and feels completely different.

Course, I could be completely wrong too....

DJ’s Timber
24th October 2008, 09:37 PM
Stu, it is the genuine stuff alright, Tim has been over there where they salvage it from and has seen how the whole operation of recovering it to it's ready to be despatched happens :2tsup:

And I have transported quite a bit of it as well for them, in fact this is their second shipment, mind you the last lot was a lot smaller in quantity

rsser
25th October 2008, 11:18 AM
I can testify that it feels wet ;-}

And that it has the colour and grain of Kauri.

DJ’s Timber
25th October 2008, 01:26 PM
I don't s'pose you noticed whether anyone had Metabo Duo ROS's there?

Went and had a look for you Skew and yes they do have them :2tsup:, listed at $345 if my memory serves me right

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th October 2008, 02:19 PM
Went and had a look for you Skew and yes they do have them :2tsup:, listed at $345 if my memory serves me right

Yep, $345. Waldo found one with my name on it and brought it home for me... :woot:

Thanks, Chris! And thanks for the heads up to you too, DJ.

Waldo
25th October 2008, 02:28 PM
Yep, $345. Waldo found one with my name on it and brought it home for me... :woot:

Thanks, Chris! And thanks for the heads up to you too, DJ.

:2tsup:

rsser
25th October 2008, 03:33 PM
What'd you come home with DJ?

DJ’s Timber
25th October 2008, 03:39 PM
A Domino, Vicmarc VM90 chuck, dovetail jaws for VM90, a few boards of Purpleheart and Sheoak for box making

And I'm still here at the show

ptc
25th October 2008, 04:55 PM
Ern I can smell the C/L from here.

rsser
25th October 2008, 05:15 PM
Ern I can smell the C/L from here.

LoL. Yeah, it's a strong northerly!

DJ, noice. Hollowing tools tomorrow? Or do you want to come down sometime and have a play with the 'library'.

Groggy
25th October 2008, 06:02 PM
I haven't had a chance to drop in much the last few days but I want to say thanks to the volunteers who have been helping out at the stand, it is great to be able to go for a walk and watch a few demos and things too. :2tsup:

DJ’s Timber
25th October 2008, 06:23 PM
DJ, noice. Hollowing tools tomorrow? Or do you want to come down sometime and have a play with the 'library'.

No :no: chance of buying any hollowing tools now, got no moolah left :shrug:

Calm
25th October 2008, 06:30 PM
No :no: chance of buying any hollowing tools now, got no moolah left :shrug:

I find this hard to beleive DJ:no::no::o

Just open another one of those tins full you have hoarded:D:D:D:D:D:p:p

DJ’s Timber
25th October 2008, 06:40 PM
I find this hard to beleive DJ:no::no::o

Just open another one of those tins full you have hoarded:D:D:D:p:p

That's the problem Dave, I've raided them all :doh:

New tablesaw the other week, mitre sled, digital fence readout and mitre jig the week before from PWS and a few grinding jigs from Jim a couple of weeks ago and yesterday's purchases takes it all up about to about $5000 worth of gear :o :B

Ashes
25th October 2008, 07:07 PM
DJ,
$5000 is only about 500 pens profit...time the get cracking mate!!!

only problem....you'll spend all your time playing with the new toys

well done...enjoy I say!!!

Stuart
25th October 2008, 08:35 PM
That's good to know DJ - thanks for the heads-up! Will definitely take another look tomorrow.
None got wedged in a corner of that truck of yours by chance ? ;) :D (No implying anything btw!)

DJ’s Timber
25th October 2008, 08:38 PM
None got wedged in a corner of that truck of yours by chance ? ;) :D (No implying anything btw!)

No comment :innocent: :whistling2:

Stuart
25th October 2008, 08:42 PM
Did you manage to find any interesting scraps of interesting timbers around your yard (previous conversation)?

WRT the Kauri - still confused by how fresh that Kauri looks and feels for something that is 45,000 years old!

DJ’s Timber
25th October 2008, 09:09 PM
Actually yes I have been putting some aside for you, just keep forgetting to get it to you and no I cannot bring it tomorrow either as I'm staying at my folks joint :doh:

Yeah it's amazing isn't it :o it's been well preserved from being buried I imagine

Stuart
25th October 2008, 09:16 PM
Too cool!! :d

Stuart
25th October 2008, 09:17 PM
Did you know if you type all in caps it changes it to upper and lower? Weird.

I meant to say TOO COOL! :D but the software edited it!

So......

TOO COOL :D he he he

Manuka Jock
25th October 2008, 10:51 PM
WRT the Kauri - still confused by how fresh that Kauri looks and feels for something that is 45,000 years old!

We store it in the swamp for you cobber , keeps it fresh as a daisy .
neat eh :2tsup:

tea lady
25th October 2008, 10:56 PM
Couldn't afford the swamp Kauri. :C But a have a little stash of turning blanks in sheoak and various satin woods, and silky oak. And one Camphor Laural just to try.:cool:

Stuart
26th October 2008, 01:58 AM
We store it in the swamp for you cobber , keeps it fresh as a daisy .
neat eh :2tsup:
:roflmao:

Wonder if that is a marketable storage solution for other items ;)

Manuka Jock
26th October 2008, 11:34 AM
Could be , those Bog Bodies in Europe come out looking ok :p

rsser
26th October 2008, 12:42 PM
True, tho a little suntanned due to the acid I guess in the bog.

Anycase, with the Kauri it must be pretty low in tannin cos doesn't usually tannin + water = black(ish).

A day's sitting in shallow water in the barrow with Robomanic's redgum lumps produced a pretty good blackening ....

heheh, could be a business opportunity: 'genuine ancient redgum', cert of authenticity from Dodgy Bros Pty Ltd (registered in the Bahamas).

Calm
26th October 2008, 08:42 PM
The timber was impressive but when i watched the saw stop demonstation i could tell the guy was just a salesman.

When i said i thought it was rigged and if he was genuine and convinced about his product he would test it with a finger not a sausage he refused' with a little stupid look at me as if i was totally stupid:?:?

Allan at Wallan
26th October 2008, 10:04 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed a couple of two hour shifts at the show
today and hopefully gained a few new members for the forum
site.

There was always people to talk to/with and sometimes had to
push Forumites out of the way to try and talk with newcomers.

I shared the first session with "Cam the Mad" from Geelong way,
"D.J" who flitted in and out of the scene getting "goodies", "Groggy"
who deserves a medal for his sterling efforts, and "Watson" who
was also enjoyable company. Sorry cannot remember the name
of "Groggy's" mate who filled in over lunch.

I will probably cop plenty from fellow members of the Eltham
and District Woodworking Club and the Northern Woodturners
when we next meet. They gave me heaps on seeing me at the
Forums stand today.

I behaved myself with jokes today but had a little fun with
Cam the Mad's son who is busting his boiler to begin turning.
I asked him to spin around in a circle, which he did, and I then
told him he was already a "good turner".

I did not spend too much but did purchase a tin bucket for carrying
out the ashes from our fireplace at home. There is nothing so
terrifying than to begin carrying out the ashes in a plastic bucket
and find that the coals are still quite hot. The backside starts
falling out of the bucket and one has immediate nightmares of
hot coals falling on to the carpet. Made a couple of other minor
purchases but disappointed that I could not buy 150mm adhesive
circular sanding discs for my belt sander.

Overall an excellent day with most enjoyable company.

Allan

Calm
26th October 2008, 10:15 PM
.................Groggy"
who deserves a medal for his sterling efforts......................Allan

Never a truer word spoken Allan :2tsup:

Greg take a bow, a fantastic job done by a real giver. The world could do with more people like you Groggy:2tsup::2tsup:

Cheers

tea lady
26th October 2008, 10:28 PM
When i said i thought it was rigged and if he was genuine and convinced about his product he would test it with a finger not a sausage he refused' with a little stupid look at me as if i was totally stupid:?:?

Well putting your finger on purpose in the saw would be a little dumb wouldn't it? :doh:And he WOULD need a band aide and a little lie down afterwards.:C and the woman in the front row would prolly faint properly rather than just have a heart attach.:rolleyes: and fall and break her jaw on the bench. So it would be very unsafe.:oo:

Calm
26th October 2008, 10:32 PM
Well putting your finger on purpose in the saw would be a little dumb wouldn't it? :doh:And he WOULD need a band aide and a little lie down afterwards.:C and the woman in the front row would prolly faint properly rather than just have a heart attach.:rolleyes: and fall and break her jaw on the bench. So it would be very unsafe.:oo:

it didnt even break the skin on the saugage so if he beleived in it his finger would not even have been scratched:U:U

jefferson
26th October 2008, 10:35 PM
DJ has recently bought a table saw PLUS a Domino.....

I am a little worried. He seems to be going in the opposite direction to me ie away from turning to general woodwork!

I've been playing with the Domino all weekend DJ, so may be able to give you a few tips if you need any.

PS Did you get the vacuum support for the Leigh DR4? I need one.

Jeff

Groggy
26th October 2008, 10:41 PM
Had a good day today. Got the sanding done before the show and a coat of undercoat on the kitchen. Spent the day with some very helpful guys and got home in time to put the finish coat on the walls and tidy up ready to install the kitchen tomorrow. :2tsup:

Had a blast spending DJ's money during the show, it got so I only had to whisper 'planes' and he'd appear with a package an hour or so later :D . Seriously, DJ had a heck of a show, some nice toys are going to keep him out of our hair for a while.

Thanks to all the forumites who dropped in to say g'day during the three days. I was especially pleased to see Sturdee turn up ready to do battle at the stalls, onya mate!

To all those who filled in at the stands and let me escape for an hour or so, thank you very much. I think a few hundred pamphlets were given out and a lot of people we spoke to were genuinely interested in what was available. I expect the next few months will see another batch of newbies being told to "do a search" :roll:.

I know that there were people who could not schedule a special time to attend and it was great when they just turned up and helped out on spec - thank you!

Thanks to DJ, Calm, Allan from Wallan and watson who helped me pack up and cart things out to the yoot at the end of the show.

Edit: I forgot to mention, Cam the mad's son is one of the keenest woodies I've seen in a while, he turned up at the stand at 10:05 and was already carrying a new planer from Triton. He built a pencil case, turned a bauble and got some finishing instruction from Christopher. Cam got to follow him around and carry all his stuff :wink:

Manuka Jock
26th October 2008, 11:28 PM
Anycase, with the Kauri it must be pretty low in tannin cos doesn't usually tannin + water = black(ish).

Ern ,
that seems to be the case , tho the harakeke (flax) weavers use a particular swamp mud to dye the fiber .

this is interesting , from the kauri people .
"We use the stump and crown or head wood where the best grains are found such as fiddleback, mottled, whitebait grains.
Sometimes the colour is altered -we can have green kauri which is due to the tannin in the Manuka growing above the swamp reacting with the wood and kauri resin. "

wheelinround
27th October 2008, 09:00 AM
I did not spend too much but did purchase a tin bucket for carrying
out the ashes from our fireplace at home. There is nothing so
terrifying than to begin carrying out the ashes in a plastic bucket
and find that the coals are still quite hot. The backside starts
falling out of the bucket and one has immediate nightmares of
hot coals falling on to the carpet. Made a couple of other minor
purchases but disappointed that I could not buy 150mm adhesive
circular sanding discs for my belt sander.

Overall an excellent day with most enjoyable company.

Allan

:roflmao::rofl: Visions of Allan with a plastic bucket, Mrs Wallan :oo: screeching at top of her voice about her new Carpet Allan realising his Pen showcase is on the coffee table with his latest batch.

Waldo
27th October 2008, 09:46 AM
A Domino, Vicmarc VM90 chuck, dovetail jaws for VM90, a few boards of Purpleheart and Sheoak for box making

And I'm still here at the show

You bought a Domino!

You what?!

:brava

Stuart
28th October 2008, 01:12 PM
And WorkSafe would plant a boot so large up him that the pain from the finger would pale in comparison. One thing to believe in the system, its another to deliberately put oneself in harms way.