PDA

View Full Version : Not a total idiot, it's just the turner in me...

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th October 2008, 12:44 PM
I was wandering leisurely up to a mate's place yesterday arvo, when I spotted several short logs of assorted types, maybe 12-14" diameter and about the same length. A couple of Melaleuca, one Hakea (I think) and some orangey unknown thing, but with nice grain. All still oozing moisture, so they were fresh cut. :2tsup:

Naturally, I wandered up to the front door and rang the bell to enquire whether anyone would complain should these logs be liberated.

A elderly woman answered the door and I introduced myself then asked "I see you have a pile of blanks on the nature strip. Is it rubbish and would you mind if I help myself?"

'Twas greeted with a look of total incomprehension.

So I tried again; "There's about five of them, about this big [gestures with hands] just over there..." [points]

Light dawned on her face. "Oh, you mean the logs?"

Logs? Logs? I run a mental review of the previous conversation...

:doh:

"Yes, yes. Logs. I meant the logs..." :-

jmk89
25th October 2008, 12:53 PM
so you got a blank look??

Ed Reiss
25th October 2008, 01:01 PM
...must remember to say logs, must remember to say logs, must remember to say logs.....:doh:

RufflyRustic
25th October 2008, 01:22 PM
:rotfl:
Good one Skew :2tsup:

Reminds me of an occaision quite a few years ago now, Father and I driving somewhere past a building, "oh look Dad! The building's been deleted!! " :oo::doh::B

Stevenp
25th October 2008, 01:41 PM
I was wandering leisurely up to a mate's place yesterday arvo, when I spotted several short logs of assorted types, maybe 12-14" diameter and about the same length. A couple of Melaleuca, one Hakea (I think) and some orangey unknown thing, but with nice grain. All still oozing moisture, so they were fresh cut. :2tsup:

Naturally, I wandered up to the front door and rang the bell to enquire whether anyone would complain should these logs be liberated.

A elderly woman answered the door and I introduced myself then asked "I see you have a pile of blanks on the nature strip. Is it rubbish and would you mind if I help myself?"

'Twas greeted with a look of total incomprehension.

So I tried again; "There's about five of them, about this big [gestures with hands] just over there..." [points]

Light dawned on her face. "Oh, you mean the logs?"

Logs? Logs? I run a mental review of the previous conversation...

:doh:

"Yes, yes. Logs. I meant the logs..." :-

So did she givem to you ?:?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th October 2008, 02:26 PM
So did she givem to you ?:?

:no: It wasn't hers, 'twas the next neighbour down and no-one was home there.

Although the piece of melaleuca did follow me home when I wandered back from my mate's at about 02:30AM :-

Mulgabill
25th October 2008, 03:33 PM
:no: It wasn't hers, 'twas the next neighbour down and no-one was home there.

Although the piece of melaleuca did follow me home when I wandered back from my mate's at about 02:30AM :-

Those strays will do that!:roll:

Manuka Jock
25th October 2008, 05:03 PM
yeah , not everyone is bi-lingual eh :D

TTIT
26th October 2008, 12:35 AM
...... ............'Twas greeted with a look of total incomprehension. ..................:rofl: So whats her problem??? - we knew what you meant :doh:

Stuart
26th October 2008, 02:06 AM
:rotfl:

rsser
26th October 2008, 06:35 AM
Around here anything on the nature strip is fair game.

Of course it's polite to ask ... to confirm the species ;-}

zathras
26th October 2008, 06:50 AM
Sounds like the mongrel neighbour dumped them on the poor old ladies lawn.

It is in the spirit of community service that you should help her out. :wink:

corbs
26th October 2008, 09:11 AM
If the Hakea is anything like the Hakea I have turned, I would have picked that up before the Melaleuca.

rsser
26th October 2008, 10:32 AM
Ditto. But then maybe Skew's 'bank' is already full of it.

Ed Reiss
26th October 2008, 12:15 PM
Around here anything on the nature strip is fair game.

OK...I give:? translation for nature strip, please.

rsser
26th October 2008, 01:05 PM
It's when the shapely naturist next door peels her gear off Ed.

DavidG
26th October 2008, 01:13 PM
OK...I give:? translation for nature strip, please.
That bit of land between the road and the start of your property.

rsser
26th October 2008, 02:27 PM
Spoilsport David.

Ed coulda been looking at his neighbours with new interest ;-}

DavidG
26th October 2008, 02:37 PM
Ed coulda been looking at his neighbours with new interest ;-}
Probably still does....................But looking for logs......:;

Skew ChiDAMN!!
26th October 2008, 03:31 PM
If the Hakea is anything like the Hakea I have turned, I would have picked that up before the Melaleuca.

I'd meant to, but 'twas in the wee hours of the morning on the stagger home after knocking down a few vitamin supplements at a friend's place.

Ditto. But then maybe Skew's 'bank' is already full of it.

True. But totally irrelevant. :D

rsser
26th October 2008, 03:42 PM
LoL. Yeah, true.

Solution Skew is not to go out without a big backpack.

joe greiner
26th October 2008, 09:35 PM
That bit of land between the road and the start of your property.

With language friends like these, who needs enemies?:D

Also known as Right Of Way, Ed.
And, just in case:
AU "block" = property parcel.
USA "lot" = property parcel.
USA "block" = bunch of property parcels, generally between streets.

As George Bernard Shaw said, "England[/Australia] and America are two countries separated by a common language." ([added by me])

Joe

Skew ChiDAMN!!
26th October 2008, 09:41 PM
And, just in case:

But wait! There's even more! :D

If we say "we drove around the block" or "it's just down the block" we're meaning the same as the USA block. If we say "I'll meet you down at my block" we generally mean at our "lot."

Normally, if we say "I'll meet you down at the lot" it means "I'll meet you at that second-hand car/caravan sales yard" or, occasionally, "car park."

Calm
26th October 2008, 09:45 PM

If we say "we drove around the block" or "it's just down the block" we're meaning the same as the USA block. If we say "I'll meet you down at my block" we generally mean at our "lot."

Normally, if we say "I'll meet you down at the lot" it means "I'll meet you at that second-hand car/caravan sales yard" or, occasionally, "car park."

just to keep you confused:D:D

TTIT
26th October 2008, 11:29 PM

just to keep you confused:D:DThat should keep 'em scratchin' their heads for a bloody long while 'cos they don't have caravans either - apparently call them trailers - but here we fill trailers with blanks - sorry - logs - cripes now I'm confused :confuzzled:

joe greiner
26th October 2008, 11:31 PM
just to keep you confused:D:D

Mission accomplished.:wink::D:rolleyes::-:cool::cool::cool:

Joe

Gra
26th October 2008, 11:42 PM
I'd meant to, but 'twas in the wee hours of the morning on the stagger home after knocking down a few vitamin supplements at a friend's place.

Did he give your Duo?:wink:

Ed Reiss
27th October 2008, 04:47 AM
It's when the shapely naturist next door peels her gear off Ed.

Believe me, you don't want to see our next door neighbor peel anything off, even putting things on don't make it any better....of course, she could be thinking the same 'bout me!:doh:

Spoilsport David.

Right...what the hell were you thinking, David?:roll:

Mission accomplished.:wink::D:rolleyes::-:cool::cool::cool:

Scratch up another one!!:2tsup:

Ed Reiss
27th October 2008, 04:52 AM
That should keep 'em scratchin' their heads for a bloody long while 'cos they don't have caravans either - apparently call them trailers - but here we fill trailers with blanks - sorry - logs - cripes now I'm confused :confuzzled:

Not all Americans are ignorant to English and Australian "speak"....we do have re-runs of "Benny Hill", you know!:~:U:U:U

Grumpy John
27th October 2008, 06:36 AM
With language friends like these, who needs enemies?:D

Also known as Right Of Way, Ed.
And, just in case:

As George Bernard Shaw said, "England[/Australia] and America are two countries separated by a common language." ([added by me])

Joe

That should keep 'em scratchin' their heads for a bloody long while 'cos they don't have caravans either - apparently call them trailers - but here we fill trailers with blanks - sorry - logs - cripes now I'm confused :confuzzled:

Crikey mates youse don't need to do your block over it :D:D:D.

rsser
27th October 2008, 06:44 AM
AFAIK in NZ a house block is called a section.

wheelinround
27th October 2008, 06:47 PM
So Skew have you been back to check if its still there :roll:

Manuka Jock
27th October 2008, 08:02 PM
AFAIK in NZ a house block is called a section.

Yep , thats' right , up to an acre or so .

In Canada , from what I can gather , a section is in the hundreds of acres .

:U

Cliff Rogers
27th October 2008, 10:19 PM
Up here we call the bit between the front fence & the gutter a foot path.

Nature strip sort sneaked in to the lingo when they started to plant scrub on the traffic islands.

joe greiner
27th October 2008, 11:56 PM
Yep , thats' right , up to an acre or so .

In Canada , from what I can gather , a section is in the hundreds of acres .

:U

Could be both, neither, or something in between. For USA, Google [section township range] provides definitions. These are land surveying terms, generally based on roughly six-mile squares, with corner jogs to fit flat-surface cones to the sphere, which isn't even a true sphere. Adding [australia] seems to make it worse, but adding [survey] restores a little sanity. And for a more complete hosing, a "township" can also be a community utterly unrelated to land measurements.

Joe

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th October 2008, 12:23 AM
Did he give your Duo?:wink:

:yes::U:woot:

That's why I only grabbed one blank... Umm... log.

So Skew have you been back to check if its still there :roll:

All gawn, 'cept for one badly checked pile of pen blanks. I couldn't bring myself to knock on the door to ask for it. :rolleyes:

Up here we call the bit between the front fence & the gutter a foot path.

On bad nights, I've called it "bed." :p

OGYT
28th October 2008, 12:28 PM
On bad nights, I've called it "bed." :p

:roflmao:

percy seadog
28th October 2008, 01:23 PM
How can a discussion on Blanks - logs end up like this ??.
And don't forget the Soldiers Settlers ( or Blockies ) Blocks. 640 acres or one square mile with no nature strip. . Surveyors had the right idea in those days. Difficult to now subdivide as roods, perches, chains and links are no longer legal "tender". Maybe still in America.

bowl-basher
28th October 2008, 01:35 PM
Edd
the nature strip is the area between the front fence and the road generaly not mown around my way and owned by the local council:U:U
Bowl-basher

rsser
28th October 2008, 01:46 PM
"Blockies" ... haven't heard that term for a while. Thanks for posting on it PS.