PDA

View Full Version : New Stubby

GC
25th October 2008, 08:25 PM
Hi All,

I went to the WWW Show yesterday, with lathes in mind.
After I left I heard that Omega have a new lathe.

As It's not on their website, does anyone know details and $$$$

Thanks in advance

GC

DJ’s Timber
25th October 2008, 08:28 PM
I'll try to remember to go and ask them for details tomorrow for you, if I haven't replied here by say 1pm, send me a PM to remind me :;

GC
25th October 2008, 08:39 PM
Ta DJ,

Pretty keen, but didn't know they had anything new until I left.

GC

madcraft
26th October 2008, 12:33 AM
I'll try to remember to go and ask them for details tomorrow for you, if I haven't replied here by say 1pm, send me a PM to remind me :;

DJ

if you remember can you shoot me some Details on the omega lathe please

DJ’s Timber
26th October 2008, 07:24 AM
DJ

if you remember can you shoot me some Details on the omega lathe please

The new one or one of the existing models? :shrug:

madcraft
26th October 2008, 10:49 AM
Hi DJ

Both if possible , the existing ones I can get info from the omega site but not the prices

kevjed
26th October 2008, 11:39 AM
Hi madcraft,
I just happened to stumble across this thread when I had the Omega Stubby price list in my hand.
RRP as of yesterday
Nugget $3605
S500 $4986
S750 $6050
S1000 $7700
Hope this helps
Kevin

DJ’s Timber
26th October 2008, 12:02 PM
Price list as posted by kevjed is same as what I've got here :2tsup:

New lathe is a 250 Swivel Head 1.5 Hp Infinitely variable speed bench mount lathe priced at $3500, bed length is made to order.

86884 86885

madcraft
26th October 2008, 12:12 PM
Thanks Guys

appreciate the help

rsser
26th October 2008, 01:22 PM
If anyone out there's got a moment ...

I'd be keen to know whether it's a 2 piece banjo like the biggies (looks like it in the pics), what the toolpost diam and length are, how far out the banjo reaches, and what the swing is.

DJ’s Timber
26th October 2008, 01:36 PM
Calm and GJ have all the details and it looks like Calm might have finally decided on a lathe, he is quite wrapped with this one.

rsser
26th October 2008, 01:53 PM
Thanks DJ for the prompt reply.

Tell Calm to offer Rob C. 10% off list price and see what response he gets.

rsser
26th October 2008, 02:24 PM
Sounds like 10" swing and detents only at 0 and 90 degrees ... ffs.

Calm
26th October 2008, 08:27 PM
Spent a bit of time with it - the one at the show is the first one and was only finished on Thursday (his words not mine) guarantees the electrics has been fixed (wont stall the motor as in the older models.

Has the same motor (available with 1 1/2 or 2 hp) , has the same pulleys & belts, has the same shaft as the other Stubby's but the bearings are tapered rollers (will need adjusting after they run for about 20 - 50 hours. (some use) - have seals ion the outside and will require some maintenance 9 lubrication that the other stubbies dont.

The banjo is the same as the bigger machines, the post for the tool rest is higher and not finalised yet as it needs cutting down. Same toolrest as others.

Bed is cut to ordered length.

The headstock swivels and after conversation will be drilled at 22.5 deg intervals - to swivel headstock - remove 4 allen keys completely move headstock & refit. Will not be a cam lock system. it was originally 0 & 90 degree option. Still in conversation regarding toolrests for outboard/swivelled turning - the extra bolt on peice is included.

Bench/base available for about $400, 2nd tool rest available for about $200 (maybe $250) price of machine negotiable.

I have made an agreement to come down to the factory after he has a "final" machine built for a look/see.

So no commitment but very impressed as DJ said

Hope that helps others.

Cheers

PS i dont care if some of the forum members (and administrators/moderators) dont like them, i think it's very nice.

PPS My thought line is - would i buy a new stubby this one or a 2nd hand VL300 for the same price.

GC
26th October 2008, 08:34 PM
Thanks DJ, thats exactly what I wanted.

Really appreciate the effort :2tsup:

I suppose give me more homework to do!

GC

rsser
26th October 2008, 08:59 PM
Yeah, good info David.

Seems like the lathe is a WIP and that's fine.

My comparator would be the VM175.

Calm
26th October 2008, 09:16 PM
Yeah, good info David.

Seems like the lathe is a WIP and that's fine.

My comparator would be the VM175.

VL175 with 250mm clearance:rolleyes::rolleyes:

My point was warranty/new machine against secondhand machine - both have EVS and the ability to do Large bowls ovewr the bed. Both are well designed, engineered and built from reputable companies

At the moment the tool rest in the lowest position is at centre height. I suggested 25 mm below to allow for adjustment of different gadgets eg. bowlsaver. Is this enough?

If i buy one i could be number one so I would be very interested in other details i may have missed higher up. - i spoke about a loosen/tighten to swivel the headstock but that would cause extra cost.

TTIT & Hughie where are you when needed.

I attached the photo Dj put in post # 8

Cheers

TTIT
27th October 2008, 12:12 AM
........ a loosen/tighten to swivel the headstock but that would cause extra cost.

TTIT & Hughie where are you when needed.
Hard to say without seeing the inside of the castings but it looks do-able. Hughies version would be a tad flasher than mine though I reckon :U

rsser
27th October 2008, 06:36 AM
It's a two piece banjo and the post length is comparatively short. It may not accept your BS without mod. You'd need to check this with Omega.

Jim Carroll
27th October 2008, 12:56 PM
David after looking at the lathe and having a chat with you and Rob my only concern is the adjustment of the head, as at the moment you have to undo all the set screws to move the head and as you indicated just moving it to 22.5 degrees works fine for you. It is not a quick change and may frustrate you undoing then redoing the screws, escpecially when they are full of saw dust.

It may be worth a word in robs ear before you get yours to see if he can come up with a quicker and easier way to rotate the headstock.

Ern this has a 250mm centre height and the VL175 is only 175mm so not really comparable.

rsser
27th October 2008, 01:15 PM
Jim, well, yes and no.

All other things equal, you get your bowl or platter diam increased by swivelling the head obviously. On the other hand, if you were doing big diam deep hollowing, sure the extra swing might come in handy.

By comparator, I just meant the other lathe readily available that I would use to compare the 250 to.

A key question is how Omega will provide a tool rest to allow turning away from the bed. How long is the banjo provided? Is there a plan to offer a bolt-on tool rest/post bracket?

It's disappointing that the Stubby swivel head rotation and clamping at this stage appear to be so limited. Maybe it's been rushed to market.

Calm
27th October 2008, 01:29 PM
David after looking at the lathe and having a chat with you and Rob my only concern is the adjustment of the head, as at the moment you have to undo all the set screws to move the head and as you indicated just moving it to 22.5 degrees works fine for you. It is not a quick change and may frustrate you undoing then redoing the screws, escpecially when they are full of saw dust.

It may be worth a word in robs ear before you get yours to see if he can come up with a quicker and easier way to rotate the headstock.

Ern this has a 250mm centre height and the VL175 is only 175mm so not really comparable.

Jim i was thinking of that - i figures if you had the 4 screws with clamp plates a locating pin could locate the 0 deg and the others just tighten the bolts in the position selected. I have done a rough illistration in paint hope you can understand.

What do you think

Cheers

Jim Carroll
27th October 2008, 05:51 PM
David they would have to be very good clamp plates as there is a fair bit of weight with the headstock and the motor hanging out the back.

Ern in about 22.5 degrees the banjo is long enough to use but if you wnt to 45 degrees then you would be using the ends of the toolrest.

You could set up the vicmarc outrigger from the base in the same way and use that for the 45 and 90 degrees.

rsser
27th October 2008, 06:12 PM
Yep.

And that's another 500 bucks or so.

Grumpy John
27th October 2008, 06:42 PM
Jim i was thinking of that - i figures if you had the 4 screws with clamp plates a locating pin could locate the 0 deg and the others just tighten the bolts in the position selected. I have done a rough illistration in paint hope you can understand.

What do you think

Cheers

David
It should not be to difficult to fit external clamps, I'll discuss it with you when/if we go over to the factory. PM me.

efgee88
27th October 2008, 07:32 PM
Hi Guys,
I'm new here - just joined. I also saw this new Stubby on Friday and I was told by the engineer (Rob?) that he was going to include a quick release lever for the swivel head and with a keyed pin/hole or holes for the various positions. Otherwise I was very impressed with this lathe. The only other points I can add to the earlier description is that this head has no built in vacuum system like the other Stubbys and that the bed is steel bar - not a cast iron bed. I didn't ask him what the implication of this might be - maybe someone can enlighten me?

Also I'm surprised to hear that bed length may be ordered as wished, since I was told he had to re-engineer the existing stand for the Stubby S500 (I believe) to the newer longer length - which sounds to me like a fixed size.

Cheers, FrankG

NeilS
27th October 2008, 11:16 PM

...and the new Woodfast C1000X centre height is 260mm, and its swivel headstock locks in place with a simple lever action, and it comes with a dedicated outboard rig, and is/was about $1000 cheaper (tho the falling $A may change that)...

Not that Stubby isn't a top lathe, but in the market segment that this new Stubby is competing it's going to have to deliver superior features and quality to take market share, which it may well do.

I will follow developments with interest.

Neil

Jim Carroll
28th October 2008, 08:13 AM
Neil I think the main difference between the 2 lathes is that the mass of the Omega will handle the larger peices easier than the woodfast.

The woodfast and the Nova lathes are on a comparable weight and can handle decent peices but the omega would be more comparable to the VL300 in mass.

hughie
28th October 2008, 08:53 AM
Calm,

For some reason or another I have missed this post......:doh: :U

Anyway my two bobs worth:-

I think the inclusion of a cam type lock to the head is a must, as Jim mentioned sawdust filled cap screws are not ideal. Dunno how they are going to effect this with out serious alterations to the set up. But as TTIT mentioned I would like to see it at close hand.

22.5 well that is ok but if you want or need to turn larger then this will not do. At this angle you may not get a significant increase in dia for you bowl or platter. But do you need all this diameter? This is a personal choice and its a case of horses for courses I suspect

At the moment the tool rest in the lowest position is at centre height. I suggested 25 mm below to allow for adjustment of different gadgets eg. bowlsaver. Is this enough?I would prefer more as it may come in handy, if you dont have it, you cant get it later, short of cutting it down with a angle grinder :U As I tend to make my own toolrests out of what ever is on hand and suitable, more adjustment is far better.

I think to days market is fairly crowed with lathe products and becuase of that any new model needs to be very versatile and show good innovation. Other wise they may sink into the mass average of "yeah its alright, bit ordinary tho' " then $$$ dictate irrespective of the name.

I think Erns comment has probably hit the nail on the head "rushed to market " to meet the woodshow. The swivel head locking suggests this among other things

I suspect the rationale of the this model is to fill a gap in thier product range and capitalize this end of the market on the success of the larger models.

David I agree with your idea not committing your self until you see the final model. But having and played with the larger version I dont doubt that they will iron out the bugs out of this model before it goes to market in its final form.

Whatever Stubbies are known for its not sloppy work or design.

NeilS
28th October 2008, 10:53 AM
Neil I think the main difference between the 2 lathes is that the mass of the Omega will handle the larger peices easier than the woodfast.

The woodfast and the Nova lathes are on a comparable weight and can handle decent peices but the omega would be more comparable to the VL300 in mass.

OK Jim, point taken. The VL300 long bed is 450kg, short bed 350kg and the Woodfast C1000X about 300kg.

Does anyone have an idea of the overall weight of the new Stubby, with stand?

Neil

rsser
28th October 2008, 12:18 PM
Heard from Rob C: there are still some design aspects to be settled.

Banjo will have a useable adjustable length of 250mm.

Post diameter will be 1"

GC
28th October 2008, 07:43 PM
Ern, (Or anyone actually)

Any idea on an ETA?

GC

rsser
28th October 2008, 09:16 PM
Nope.

Email or call Rob at Omega.

efgee88
6th November 2008, 10:23 PM
Any word on this new Stubby yet. Anyone know anything more that these threads so far?
FrankG

GC
6th November 2008, 11:26 PM
I did email Rob, got this reply;

We are pleased to hear from you regarding our new S250 that was on display at the Melboune WWW Show.

The lathe you saw is a proto type and not yet in production , although we should have some available late December, early January ' 09 .

Price will be around the $3500 mark incl. GST . You will need to provide your own bench.or purchase one from us @ $500.

We look forward to being able to supply you with a new Omega S250 in near future ,

Regards

Rob.