PDA

View Full Version : Time & timber saver possibility!

robutacion
26th October 2008, 04:15 PM
Hi Everyone,

Was not long ago, we were discussing in this forum, the bowl saver tool and some other techniques and methods used to achieve this.

I remember that I mention the use of a normal partition gouge (diamond shape, preferentially), for this purpose, as the method I did use. I also remember to mention some caution with the process, as the small (normal) size of the partition, require some strength to old on to, apart from other aspects that should be taken into consideration (safety issues).

I've been waiting for the opportunity to purchase another partition diamond shaped gouge, possibly a little thicker and stronger. This didn't happen,(because I couldn't find one as such), so I decided to purchase another complete set of turning gouges, exactly the same as my previous set, but without the brand name "TORQUATA" about $100 value, at the recent Adelaide Show. The idea was to use this new set to make a few new gouges using what has been already done to them (shape, handle, type, etc), and modify them to what I want. The new partition gouge, had already been planned to be extended and fit into a new heavier duty wood handle. The handle was already made (make them normally, as I find suitable timbers), so I just got a piece of 16mm stainless rod (old printer), cut a groove on it, weld it together (only if I could weld properly...!), drill a hole deep enough (6") into the new handle and epoxy it together.

Oh, the red bit on it, is a piece of "heat shrink" I used to camouflage my bad welding surface, until I decide to polish it, one day...!

I gave it a test run, and I can say that makes a hell of a difference (as expected), a lot easier to old on to, cuts deeper, and a lot safer to use.
Many of the pieces I remove from the blanks centres, are not use to make smaller bowls, but for many other things, with the "rings" being extremely handy and useful in many other projects. I normally store them in boxes, until one day I decide to empty the boxes on the lawn (that's what I did for the pic), and match some of them for an idea/project that is normally thought off, on the spot. I mean those that weren't used, after some time...!

I still want a bowl saver tool, oh yeah, one day...!

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

Ed Reiss
27th October 2008, 05:56 AM
Good retrofit RBTCO...glad it worked out to make life easier for you!

Like all the little funnels and alien ufo's in your yard!!:U

OGYT
28th October 2008, 01:19 PM
Neato! Never thought of using a parting tool for coring. :)

Texian
28th October 2008, 01:42 PM
Looks like enough "rings" to make a bunch of laminated bowls.

robutacion
29th October 2008, 11:28 AM
Looks like enough "rings" to make a bunch of laminated bowls.

Stop putting ideas in my head Texian...!:D

I had though in use some of them for the Frisbee challenge going (gone:?) another day.:doh:

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

hughie
29th October 2008, 12:17 PM
Hmm, most makers of bowl savers make what they call a slicer pretty much a heavier duty parting tool.

Still a good idea tho' as we all have...or most will have a parting tool of some sort

rsser
29th October 2008, 07:38 PM
'Slicer', or lance.