PDA

View Full Version : New 10 yo Woodturner

Cam the Mad
26th October 2008, 10:49 PM
Hi to all ,

I just wanted to share a pic of my 10 yo son Jack , who turned his first piece of work today at the Timber & Working with Wood show . He's been hanging out to finally have a go on a lathe , as he wants one for Christmas . And have a go he did , & now he's in love . You could see the smile growing as the chips started to fly .

I'd like to say a big thanks to Tim Skilton & Vicmarc Machinery for giving him a go on the lathe , you have no idea how happy you made him . I'd also like to thank Neil for polishing up his creation with the U Beaut products . You have all helped make him one happy kid , that now believes woodworking is heaps better than Play Stations .

Cheers & thanks to you all ,

Cam :2tsup:

tea lady
26th October 2008, 10:56 PM
Well done Jack.:2tsup: Glad to see Allan didn't put him off? :rolleyes::D

Groggy
26th October 2008, 11:02 PM
Tell Jack we were all very impressed with his woodwork, and also with his ability to have his father act as manservant for the day :U

Good to see one so young getting so much enjoyment from the show. :2tsup:

Ed Reiss
27th October 2008, 05:50 AM
He's been hanging out to finally have a go on a lathe , as he wants one for Christmas .

Oh yea...best get a Christmas tree with high branches to fit that VL, that Jack wants, underneath!!!:o lol

Well done to Jack on his first turning!!!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Gil Jones
27th October 2008, 04:03 PM
Attaboy, Jack!! Good looking work for your first go at it.:2tsup:

Tim the Timber Turner
27th October 2008, 08:03 PM
My best student for the whole show.

WELL DONE JACK

Sawdust Maker
27th October 2008, 08:20 PM
not sure I want my son near a lathe!
If he liked it I'd never get a chance to have a play :o might have to buy a second then (hmmm)

Great effort Jack :2tsup:

weisyboy
27th October 2008, 08:22 PM
Oh yea...best get a Christmas tree with high branches to fit that VL, that Jack wants, underneath!!!:o lol

Well done to Jack on his first turning!!!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

id be more worried about the tree ending up as rolling pins:U

RETIRED
27th October 2008, 09:49 PM
My best student for the whole show.

WELL DONE JACKBet you say that to all of them, you ol softy.:D

Tim the Timber Turner
27th October 2008, 10:10 PM
Bet you say that to all of them, you ol softy.:D

I did have a couple of 20 something year old cuties in one class.

They were a real test of my concentration because of their low cut tops.

Funny thing was, there were no shavings on the floor after they finished.

Don't know what happened to all the chips.

Cheers

Tim

Sebastiaan56
28th October 2008, 07:44 AM
Cam,

Good on both of you. My 13yo has been turning pens for 18 months now. The other day the teenage "Im bored......" whinge started so I sent him to the shed. 2 hrs later, out he wanders with a big smile on his dial, 3 new pens and a bunch of blown up blanks.

Just make sure you get some shed time too......

OGYT
28th October 2008, 12:11 PM
Comgratulations to Jack!! :D Looks good for a first. Save it, you'll be glad you did.
When he's old, he'll have some good memories of his Father and him in the shed. That's worth every minute!!! Ya done good, Cam! :D

Stuart
28th October 2008, 02:19 PM
Just couldn't hold him back any longer eh!

Cam the Mad
30th October 2008, 12:03 AM
Stu , He has the bug BIG TIME , he's in love with the lathe , lol .

Cam the Mad
30th October 2008, 12:12 AM
Jack has asked me to say a big thank you , to all that have read & commented my post about him . You have all made him feel special , like he is about to become a member of a big wood working family . For both people in Australia & overseas to have taken an interest in what he turned , has blown him away . He really does feel special , & wants to explore all he can with wood & see what he can learn & create .

I'd also like to thank everyone Jack met & the Timber & Working with Wood show . You all made him feel pretty special . After meeting forum members , he has decided to join the forum himself .

Thanks again everyone ,

Cam & Jack

Rum Pig
30th October 2008, 09:30 AM
I wish I started woodturning when my dad could pay for everything:rolleyes::rolleyes::U

Welcome aboard Jack. I have a son 17mths old named Jack and I can not wait till he starts to turn:U.
Well done and keep on practising:2tsup::2tsup:

Groggy
30th October 2008, 10:06 AM
I did have a couple of 20 something year old cuties in one class.

They were a real test of my concentration because of their low cut tops.

Funny thing was, there were no shavings on the floor after they finished.

Don't know what happened to all the chips.

Cheers

TimTim, I managed to get a pic of that session, here you go...

masoth
30th October 2008, 11:53 AM
During all the time I've been away from the forum Groggy hasn't changed a bit - I'm so glad! :U

soth

Jim Carroll
30th October 2008, 12:38 PM
Cam bring him along to the barwon valley woodwright exhibition this weekend in Geelong.
It is at the state offices in Little malop street 10 am - 4pm, he can see more turning demos and see what other turners are up to.