PDA

View Full Version : sailing boat

minimania
27th October 2008, 06:40 PM
Hi,

Does anyone have plans for a wooden toy sailing boat that a three year old can play with in the water? It should be able to float and be about 18 inches long. I can't buy one anywhere so I will have to make one for my grandson.

:U Thanks,

Estelle.

Slow6
31st October 2008, 10:43 PM
If you have a lathe.. I once made some very serviceable little boats for kids by turning a rocket and halving it.
Mast up top and a weighted rudder down bellow. (the rudder was just a fin with a couple of brass dome nuts at the tip to weight it)
various left over eyelets and hooks for rigging and loml hemmed (is that the word?) some triangle cloth. they looked surprisingly ok.

I sprayed them with enamel.. they lasted a couple of summers outdoors.

minimania
31st October 2008, 11:49 PM
Thanks,

The lathe is a good idea. Is there an ideal ratio between height of the mast, length of boat and depth of rudder? Or do you just adjust this by using weights on the rudder? I can see my boat just flipping over.

Estelle.

Papa
1st November 2008, 04:34 AM
For realistic look the mast should be the length plus the width.

Did some looking on the net, doesn't take long to get totally fed up any more!

BUY! BUY! BUY! BUY!

What part of this item doesn't look right to you?

http://www.aboatguide.com/directory/new%20results_files/image.png
free toy boat building plans forsale (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Mark/Local%20Settings/Temp/Rar.404/newtemplates/%RESULTSURL)
... free toy boat building plans beating from the effects of spray sun and even the occasional brush with ... useful details some information. boat plan free toy boat building plans ...
[ Click To Open In A New Window (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Mark/Local%20Settings/Temp/Rar.404/newtemplates/%RESULTSURL) ]`

Buzza
1st November 2008, 08:03 AM
The first line appears to be self contradictionary. :D

Now let me see, was it American advertising? :wink: They sell a lot of "Free Stuff".

In South Australia, that ad contravenes business laws, but I notice that some people are still trying to sell "Free Stuff".

keju
6th November 2008, 11:02 AM
Have you also noticed that a lot of the time now they try to get you buy calling it "FEE" plans? ( notice the missing "R" ?)
A quick read you click on it thinking it says FREE......... that really gets me! grrrrrrr
I've spend hours hunting down some free stuff...... I hope the links I posted a while back still work and are still free....

Juvy