PDA

View Full Version : Where to put the VL100!

jefferson
1st November 2008, 01:47 PM
I dropped into DJ's yesterday and picked up my new toy. Thanks heaps DJ for picking it up for me at the Show.

I bought the VL100 to supplement my turning department. Once I figure a break-down stand for it, I'll be able to take it along to our turnfests in Victoria. It is a heavy little beast, will take my Vicmarc chucks and has variable speed. It runs nice.

But where to put it? (DJ has got me loaded up with the right software, so here goes on some pics:

Perhaps here:

Not much room there or here either:87403

Plenty of room at this end of the shed, at least for the time being:

But I really want to have the VL100 next to the 300, right here somewhere. I'll just have to lose the bar fridge:

Any thoughts on layout most welcome. I thought my shed was in a state of disarray, but DJ's is a lot worse!

Jeff

wheelinround
1st November 2008, 01:54 PM
Jeff can you do a photo shot from one diagonal corner to the other just to show how much room your concerned about :;

DJ’s Timber
1st November 2008, 01:56 PM
DJ has got me loaded up with the right software, so here goes on some pics:

Looks like my quick run down yesterday worked :2tsup:

I thought my shed was in a state of disarray, but DJ's is a lot worse!

Not as bad now :B but still quite a bit to do :doh:

Plenty of room at this end of the shed, at least for the time being:

You sure you not just showing off :roll: :U

jefferson
1st November 2008, 02:33 PM
Wheelinround,

Here are the diagonal shot in the shed. Three separate bays:

Not sure if that helps or not.

I'm hoping to have one corner where the bar fridge is just for the lathes. Tools on one wall, maybe the grinders on the other. But just how close is an issue, I don't want sparks setting fire to all the shavings.

I forgot the pic of the little boy:

Now DJ, me show-off? is training me but I've a long way to go. I am lucky to have my shed and the gear. It's cost a fortune but I figure its a good hobby. At least you get to build things!

Jeff

DJ’s Timber
1st November 2008, 02:55 PM
Thumbnail Problem Discussion moved to here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=81648) to prevent :jacked: of Jeff's thread :;

wheelinround
1st November 2008, 03:03 PM
Jeff I am sorry I didn't mean to make you go out and take photo's :roll: you were skyting about all your space and a place to put a Mini Lathe.

Glad you did though :2tsup: I'd put it as far away from that cluttered area so you have to walk further to get to it and back agin to get what ever else you need. :p

On 2nd looks right under the Calendar on the wall near the fan :D

jefferson
1st November 2008, 03:28 PM
I didn't mean to skyte, apologies.

Apologies also to the moderators, I didn't mean to post ! Oops.

The trouble with having so much room is that you end up filling the lot with timber! I've got a stack of 40mm x 180-200mm redgum boards that I bought years ago, can't even remember why. And then my dad dumped a heap of recycled kauri, hoop pine and other stuff on me.

I've seen lots of sheds and still reckon the best one was smallish, maybe 6m by 9m. Everything in it's place, no wasted room. Plenty of hand tools as well as machines. So space isn't everything.

I really enjoyed having another sniff around DJs on Friday. He's got this Incra jig that is very tempting. Plus I got to see the new saw.

Jeff

wheelinround
1st November 2008, 03:43 PM
Jeff as the Mini has no stand of its own (can see now its right up near the door on that stack of wall paneling) thats far enough away going to need long extention lead :; and its a bit low.

I had this idea if you made a mounting frame attached to the other side of the big one it would keep all the mess in one place. Of course mounted at the opposite end to headstock. bolted to the big fella's frame gives stability and if done right a height adjustment could be done to sit you and the little lady. Just an idea.

Ray

robutacion
1st November 2008, 05:16 PM
I didn't mean to skyte, apologies.

Apologies also to the moderators, I didn't mean to post ! Oops.

The trouble with having so much room is that you end up filling the lot with timber! I've got a stack of 40mm x 180-200mm redgum boards that I bought years ago, can't even remember why. And then my dad dumped a heap of recycled kauri, hoop pine and other stuff on me.

I've seen lots of sheds and still reckon the best one was smallish, maybe 6m by 9m. Everything in it's place, no wasted room. Plenty of hand tools as well as machines. So space isn't everything.

I really enjoyed having another sniff around DJs on Friday. He's got this Incra jig that is very tempting. Plus I got to see the new saw.

Jeff

Hi Jeff, I wish I had that problem...!
Anyway, you've got a good shed (conditions) so now is up to you how to use the floor space. You're absolutely right, takes no time to fill it up with timbers, and that is where you have to put some serious effort, a little imagination and some work (expense) in building racks and shelves to keep most of it off the ground. Built shelves on every wall you have, make them stepped so that you don't lose too much space on the working (walking) area, but you can utilise the area above head hight for some wider stuff. One of the storage ideas I found it works very well (cemented floors) is to built a self standing frame out of square steel galv section on 4 or even 6 heavy dutty wheels (2 x lockable type). I had 2 made out of light square 2" galv., about 3.6 meters long x 1.2 meters wide and 2.4 meters hight (with 6 wheels). The bottom shelf started about 4" from the floor on both, but one was made all into shelves at different heights (reach from both/either sides), and the other was made into a vertical board storage rack (with 4 or 5 divisions) on the bottom half, and the top half was made as shelves (steel frame only) to store all the timber boards, long pieces etc.
Weight is not a problem if the wheels are strong enough, the whole rack moves around easily and stay put when the wheels are locked into position.
One of the uses I made out of these racks on wheels, was to use them to divide different areas of the shed into separate working areas, one was always used (with the aid of a tarpon rolled up when not in use) to block the grinding sparks, from the other areas.

There are many ways to set up a working shed, the ones that require a little more thought into it, is the ones (general purpose) where everything is done in it, timber, steel, spray painting, etc., etc. I found that of all safety precautions taking into account, will help in the event of "troubles", I believe, the best money to invest on this type of safety, is on a decent chemical powder fire extinguisher, installed just at the main shed entrance. This simple and not that expensive device, can save the whole shed and contents, in an emergency/accident.

Anyway, I hope that my thoughts can be of some help to you, if not, maybe they will to someone else:D!

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

Gra
1st November 2008, 06:47 PM
But where to put it?

In my shed ???:D:D:D

orificiam
1st November 2008, 08:12 PM
As close as possible to the other lathe maybe you could arrange them in
a "L' shape that way you can go from one baby to the other without to much
effort. I wish I had you big shed problem.
my shed is only 3.5 x 2.5 Mtrs.
good luck I'm sure you'll work it out fine.
cheers. Tony.:)

bigfish
2nd November 2008, 10:36 AM
Jeff,

Is the silver lining on the walls that foil covered bubble wrap stuff?

I've had that suggested for my panel lift door that faces NNW.

Is it effective? Obviously the guy I spoke to about it reckoned that it is magic!

Cheers,
Alan

jefferson
2nd November 2008, 12:19 PM
Alan,

you're right, most of the shed is covered roof and walls with Aircell. The extension has some similar stuff, not too sure of the name.

Very expensive, but an absolute must up here. Plenty of frosts - and heat during the summer. Without the Aircell, the inside would "rain" during the winter and be too hot over summer.

Interestingly, I lined one section on the west wall without batts. The yellow-tongue got fairly warm, so I started over and put R1.5 batts in the cavity. You know, it didn't make much difference. Not enough air space I think.

I'd recommend the Aircell or similar if building from scratch.

BP

Waldo
2nd November 2008, 01:10 PM
In my shed ???:D:D:D

Nope, that bloke above has it wrong, he mistyped and meant Waldo's shed, and the Sawstop too. PM me and I'll give you the address. :2tsup:

:D

If only I had that much room to swing 10 cats, at the moment I can still swing 10 cats but I might hit their heads. :U

jefferson
2nd November 2008, 01:16 PM
You guys better be careful not to offend Calm. Apparently he has first dibs on my Vicmarc lathes!!

Try raiding DJ's shed first. He's got some very nice toys there that I too have my eyes on.

Jeff

Waldo
2nd November 2008, 01:19 PM
I do that except I'm probably first to get a knock at the door if something is missing from his joint.

Some nice stuff in the shed there Jefferson. :2tsup:

DJ’s Timber
2nd November 2008, 01:35 PM
Try raiding DJ's shed first. He's got some very nice toys there that I too have my eyes on.

Jeff

http://www.ubeaut.biz/dog.gif

jefferson
2nd November 2008, 01:55 PM
Don't be like that DJ. Most of the Vic turners know where you live! And don't be thinking those dogs will guard your place!

And for the moment, my place is "somewhere" in Kiewa. Until I put a turnfest on here next year.

Jeff

DJ’s Timber
2nd November 2008, 01:57 PM
And for the moment, my place is "somewhere" in Kiewa.

Not for me, I know where you are :whistling2: :innocent: :U

Ruddigar
3rd November 2008, 09:23 AM
Not for me, I know where you are :whistling2: :innocent: :U
Me too.... :whistling2:

jefferson
3rd November 2008, 04:41 PM
Is nothing sacred anymore?

I'm off on holidays for three weeks and have thankfully arranged a baby sitter for the house and shed. Not that I don't trust you guys.....

Jeff

jefferson
3rd November 2008, 06:42 PM
Ruddigar and DJ,

You know my address. So I left 12 Crownies in the outside fridge for you. My son will lend you the keys to the shed. Please tidy up before and after you leave.

Post pics. If you don't, the thread is worthless!

Also, DJ, please finish that natural edge yellow-box burl. Damn thing frightens me to look at it. And don't bring that truck of yours - I don't want shed stripped of heavy equipment.

And Ruddigar, please do a quick safety check over the SawStop. It seems to be working perfectly.

Jeff

DJ’s Timber
3rd November 2008, 06:56 PM
Don't drink, so the Crownies are no use to me :doh:

Damn, can't take me truck, you're no fun at all :shrug: :U

Ruddigar
3rd November 2008, 11:29 PM
Don't drink, so the Crownies are no use to me :doh:

I'll give them a good home...:wink:

jefferson
20th November 2008, 03:06 PM
Back after a little sojourn in Qld fishing. A good time. One nice 123cm barra that went back over the side.

First things first when I got home. Check the fridge, then the shed. All seems to be as I left them. Aside from the stubbies, all insured, but it's nice to find my gear safe and well!

Hundreds of emails, plus a few PMs to attend to as well. I tried to keep up with all the threads while away, but alas missed most of it.

Perhaps the Mods should keep a monthly "best of the best"?

Jeff

RETIRED
20th November 2008, 03:08 PM
Welcome back.

Ed Reiss
21st November 2008, 01:08 PM
Jefferson....still can't figure where to put the Vic? Just never enough room in the shed, is there?!:roll:

BTW...where did you park the jet?:U

jefferson
21st November 2008, 02:39 PM
Ed,

I have figured out where the VL100 is going. In the corner near the VL300.

All of which means:

- remove the drawer units to another part of the shed
- dismantle the fridge cupboard
- disconnect the wiring
- line the walls with yellow tongue (2 walls)
- build a bench for the grinders
- build a bench for the VL100
- install dust collection.....

And it goes on. A little depressing, just can't get started.

Anyway, I'll be taking the little boy over to Deni so Lili and hubby can check it out, plus the Delta midi. The midi seems to have found permanent residence at my dad's place, so it's not in the road.

Jeff

RETIRED
21st November 2008, 03:48 PM
Ed,

I have figured out where the VL100 is going. In the corner near the VL300.

All of which means:

- remove the drawer units to another part of the shed
- dismantle the fridge cupboard
- disconnect the wiring
- line the walls with yellow tongue (2 walls)
- build a bench for the grinders
- build a bench for the VL100
- install dust collection.....

And it goes on. A little depressing, just can't get started.

Anyway, I'll be taking the little boy over to Deni so Lili and hubby can check it out, plus the Delta midi. The midi seems to have found permanent residence at my dad's place, so it's not in the road.

JeffIt is called the Domino effect. In order to fit this here we must move all this. Been doing that for 30 years.:D

TimberNut
21st November 2008, 04:33 PM
As a long standing shed-dreamer, who lives in suburban Sydney and wants nothing more than to get the hell out and have the room to build a decent sized shed, may I ask, just what are the dimensions of that damn shed??? Must have cost a bit to build!

tea lady
21st November 2008, 04:36 PM
It is called the Domino effect. In order to fit this here we must move all this. Been doing that for 30 years.:D

:oo:He's got a domino as well?:D

jefferson
21st November 2008, 04:52 PM
TimberNut,

the shed was originally 16m by 9m. I recently extended another 9m, making it 25m by 9m. Had to find some storage area for the boat, trailer and a few cubes of redgum.

It's still not big enough. Are sheds ever big enough???

Sounds great but the old house we are living in needs the dozer thru it. Down to the bank to sort out some finance, so all is not as rosy as it seems. Aside from the wishes of the spouse, it would be nice to have something new up and running so I can host a turn fest next year.

My main concern is that DJ will arrive with his truck, off-load his VL300 and start spiking dynabolts in my shed floor. Next concern is that the forumites will check for square, not only the shed but my furniture projects!

The Domino Principle is certainly in the swing here. I've just measured up the space for the new cupboards, painting to be done.....

So what about a working bee here in early January?

Jeff

DJ’s Timber
21st November 2008, 04:56 PM
If I were you, I'd be more worried about things disappearing then dynabolts spiking your floor :o :; especially if I come up in my crane truck :U

jefferson
21st November 2008, 05:23 PM
Geez, DJ, now I'm really starting to worry.

If you bring your truck when I'm not here, half my workshop will be gone. Maybe all of it. Fair bit of junk there though.

As an aside, when are you coming to tune my bandsaw? I ordered the skip-tooth blade for it but I must have measured incorrectly. There must be a secret to that but will sort out with 's supplier. I might send down a blade that fits and they can supply accordingly. Need to contact Carbatec for the bearing guides.

Let me know when you away for a few days so Calm and I can come down and collect a few cubes of timber and your VL300. Plus that 1m redgum platter that I really like.

Jeff

DJ’s Timber
21st November 2008, 05:27 PM
Tell me when you want me to come up and I'll tune your machines for you :2tsup:

I've got to order some of those skip tooths blades as well, why don't you just send me one of your old blades and I'll drop it in then or measure it for you :;

DJ’s Timber
21st November 2008, 05:28 PM
PS, I'll come in the ute so then you don't have to worry :rofl:

jefferson
21st November 2008, 08:42 PM
You are a top bloke DJ.

I'll package up the "new" blade, plus an old one that fits and send them down. It would be great to have the saw cutting like Robbos.

Please let me know what you think I need for the bandsaw too. It's a Carbatec CE 19 inch saw about five years old. Barely been used! I promise you can play with my tools / machines, though probably the only thing you'll be interested in is the WoodWizz. You have most of it covered already.

Jeff

RETIRED
22nd November 2008, 12:56 AM
Jeff. This is the way that I get an accurate measurement of the blade.

Break or cut a blade (preferably old) and lay it out on a piece of timber. Flush the end and clamp. Clamp free end and square a line across the end on the timber. Measure length to marked line.

If using an old blade make sure that you still have tension adjustment left.

DJ’s Timber
22nd November 2008, 01:05 AM
You are a top bloke DJ.

I'll package up the "new" blade, plus an old one that fits and send them down. It would be great to have the saw cutting like Robbos.

Please let me know what you think I need for the bandsaw too. It's a Carbatec CE 19 inch saw about five years old. Barely been used! I promise you can play with my tools / machines, though probably the only thing you'll be interested in is the WoodWizz. You have most of it covered already.

Jeff

Going on that, your blade should be 3635mm give or take a few mm's either way.

As for the bearings guides, have you not got them, are they guide blocks or are your bearings ratshit?

If the bearings are stuffed, you'll be better to get some from a bearing supplier particularly sealed ones as opposed to the ones that normally come with the machine.

Calm
22nd November 2008, 07:47 AM
Jeff

I measure my bandsaw blades by putting a mark on the inside with a texta and rolling it along on the floor. Mark the floor where the mark on the blade is, roll it along the floor (in a straight line) until the mark come to the floor again. Then measure the distance between the marks. Double the distance (this allows for both sides of the blade) the adjuster moves from top to bottom (in its slot) This is the variance in length from short to long. Check where the adjuster is before you choose a blade to measure.

BTW i have volunteered to do the milk ruun from Dec 26 for a week from your area to Melb so could see you then. Normally load 6 am just down the road from your place go to melb unload and come back to Keiwa ready for next day.

Cheers

jefferson
22nd November 2008, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the tips on getting the blade measurement right. I'll check again this morning and see where I went wrong. I do have two RS blades, one is "tight", the other a little loose.

DJ - the guides that came with the bandsaw are just blocks either side of the blade. Bearings behind the blade. I see all the new Carbatec saws the same size now have bearing guides. But I will do a quick check and see if we can get started.

Dave - let me know when you're coming after Xmas. The accommodation here is pretty humble but there's a bed for you anyway.

Jeff

Fredo
22nd November 2008, 08:41 AM
Jeff - great shed, wish I had the space you have. I bought a VL100 to bolt to a bench in my shop also. After some thought, I made a lightweight RHS stand with tool caddy which the lathe bolts to, so it can be quickly fitted/removed. I use it for pens and small turnings in my shop and can pack up and take the lathe, stand and caddy with me anywhere. Which for me makes it much more useful and versatile. Just my thoughts. Some pics below.

Fredo :U

jefferson
23rd November 2008, 08:48 AM
Fredo,

I like the stand and must do something similar. I had intended to take the VL100 along to the Vic chapter turnfests, so a stand is a must. Heavy little lathe all the same, takes two to manage!

Jeff

hughie
23rd November 2008, 09:01 AM
Jeff, Jeff, enough of this. The only way out of this dilemma is to give VL100 to me and issue will be solved. DJ can simply drop it off at my place any morning next week.

phew! glad we got that finally sorted................... :D

jefferson
23rd November 2008, 09:04 AM
Sorry Hughie, I'm just a tool junkie. Ern has another description for that condition though which isn't complimentary.

Will post some pics soon on the progress in the shed. Did some painting yesterday, cupboards to build this week....

Jeff

hughie
23rd November 2008, 09:09 AM
:U I think I am in the same boat with three lathes.......................