PDA

View Full Version : Triton: A Gift or A Disease?

Zero
6th April 2004, 08:08 PM
I am an amateur woodworker,as a youngster, I love all kind of new gadget and machineary. I always love powertools and
i own triton products.
However, recently, I have an idea that woodworking should be a handcraft. Nowadays, most of us(I assume, correct me if I am wrong) use power tools.
Are we being too dependent on power tools? Triton is a typical brand producing woodworking machineary, they are making wookworking easier, faster. Yet, Does this trend change the original fun meaning of hobby woodworking?

Kris.Parker1
6th August 2004, 12:10 AM
Love the Triton mate. I have always used power tools, in todays age what with an uncertain future and all, the quicker I get a project done the better. Plus it keeps the missus of my back by using power tools.

Cheers

Kris

P.S. It also allows more time to go fishing!

Gumby
6th August 2004, 12:27 AM
Follow that theory and you'll be walking to work :D

Sturdee
6th August 2004, 07:48 PM
However, recently, I have an idea that woodworking should be a handcraft. Nowadays, most of us(I assume, correct me if I am wrong) use power tools.

Are we being too dependent on power tools? faster. Yet, Does this trend change the original fun meaning of hobby woodworking?

Zero,

Some people enjoy using power tools others enjoy hand tools. Some people enjoy the journey and for others the end result is what matters most. Again some enjoy the making handmade dovetails others enjoy the use of a nailgun instead.

There are often discussions on this Board if one is better than the other. Personally I use power tools if possible but I also use hand tools where appropriate so I don't think one is better than the other. It is a matter of personal preference.

As long as you get enjoyment from your woodworking and have fun it does not matter whether you use power tools or not.

Peter.

BTW I don't understand the title you gave it and why it is in the Polls forum if there is no Poll.

LineLefty
9th August 2004, 12:08 PM
I'm currently at a decision point in the hand vs power tools conundrum.

Still trying to prepare all the stock by hand but it's frustrating and slow and there's a few mistakes (pictures soon!). I know that I could just fork out $1000 and get a thicknesser combo and be done with it. But I'll resist.

After workign with a new Circular saw over the weekend, and hating every minute of it, I think I'll use the power tools only when I've no choice.

HappyHammer
9th August 2004, 06:53 PM
Kris

P.S. It also allows more time to go fishing!
Gotta have time for fishing, The tinny would never leave the garage if I didn't have power tools.

I reckon you can use a combination of the two. You can use the power tools to get close to the finish you're after quickly and then clean up and make everything tight and well finished with the hand tools.

I'm working on a project and cut all the stock on the table saw but cut all of the notches and some 45's I needed for clearance of the hinged top with handtools. I liked the fact I could get quickly to the more interesting and satisfying part of the job more quickly. It was nice when SWMBO told me how clever the notches were that allow the top to open to 90 degrees. So in MHO I'd suggest you work out which balance of both suits you best.

HH.

Bob Willson
10th August 2004, 12:38 PM
the quicker I get a project done the better. This totally negates the reason for having a hobby. If you could just snap your fingers and Hey-Presto there is a new project all totally finished and ready to go then what is the point? It would be different if it was a business, then, the more finger snapping you could do, the better. I make things because I enjoy the processes of making things not so that I can turn out stuff as quickly and as emotionlessly as a CNC machine. I really don't care if a project takes a couple of years to finish. When it is finished it will be something that has given me many hours of pleasure in the making of it and following that, maybe many years of pleasure from looking at, touching, remembering, and feeling it. Also, the stuff I make is of heirloom quality and will stand the test of time. I expect my great, great great great grandchildren to enjoy my stuff too.

HappyHammer
10th August 2004, 12:43 PM
This totally negates the reason for having a hobby. If you could just snap your fingers and Hey-Presto there is a new project all totally finished and ready to go then what is the point? It would be different if it was a business, then, the more finger snapping you could do, the better. I make things because I enjoy the processes of making things not so that I can turn out stuff as quickly and as emotionlessly as a CNC machine. I really don't care if a project takes a couple of years to finish. When it is finished it will be something that has given me many hours of pleasure in the making of it and following that, maybe many years of pleasure from looking at, touching, remembering, and feeling it. Also, the stuff I make is of heirloom quality and will stand the test of time. I expect my great, great great great grandchildren to enjoy my stuff too.
Bob, I'm guessing you're retired or at least have the luxury of having got shot of your kids so you are likely to have a little more time for your hobby than some of us who have demanding jobs and young families, I think you should give us a break on this one.:)

HH.

LineLefty
10th August 2004, 12:43 PM
Bravo Bob, a good point.

It leads me to think about the actual "design" of the project we make.

Really, honestly how much time and effort do people put into the design of their pieces from an artistic point of view. In fact dont answer that, I'll put it in a new post.

himzol
10th August 2004, 04:35 PM
I'm with Bob on this one,

To put it in Perspective, I'm not retired work a 8:30 to 5:00 job plus on call, My teenage son plays School sport on Saturday mornings soccer in winter Cricket in summer) and Club soccer on Sundays for which I am the taxi, I'm also the club trainer for his soccer team. That plus the fact that we moved into our house about a year ago and still coming to terms with the amount of neglect and DIY botches that the previous owner left me.

To sum all that up I get very little shed time, maybe a few hours a week this time is my time. I have to rush around doing all the other things, I do not want to rush through what I consider my relaxation time.

whether you use power tools (of which I have many) or hand tools (collection slowly growing) take your time and enjoy.

Himzo.