PDA

View Full Version : Hollow log Birdhouses

Woodskie
3rd November 2008, 04:25 PM
Hello all,
I wanted to try my hand at Hollow log Birdhouses. Real as in Functional birdhouses from logs. Problem is, I don't know where to begin! I believe a lathe would be the correct machine to hollow out or Bore out the center of the log. My question is What type of lathe & tools would I use? I thinking 12-14" long by 10" diameter Logs. I want to leave the bark outside as is & just bore out the center to about 6-8 diameter. I would like to do about 2-3 a day. Is this Do-able? Can someone point me in the right direction for getting this type of project off the ground? I'm wanting to make something along the lines of this,...
http://www.nativeamerica.com/products/box004.jpg

Thanks for any help,

Woodskie

Texian
3rd November 2008, 05:09 PM
That's a bluebird house, so the inside diameter should be 4-1/2" to 5". The hole size, IIRC, is 1-1/2" for eastern bluebirds and 1-5/8" for western bluebirds.

Papa
3rd November 2008, 05:23 PM
I found one place, they used a spade bit, and a chisel to clean
out the left over.

Or you can cut the log in two and chisel out the center and
put it back with some bands like a barrel.

I found a bunch of places that sell them, some are plastic,,,,
and books that tell you how..

It looks simple to me,, just get a inch and a half spade bit and
drill four holes and clean out the leavings.

The important thing is the size of the hole, they can be very
pickie about their front door...:roll::roll::roll:

orraloon
3rd November 2008, 05:27 PM
Woodskie,
Welcome to the site.
A lathe would work fine. It needs to have the capasity to spin a log the size you want. You will need at least a 1hp motor but 2 hp would be better. A big chuck and some kind of deep hollowing setup as drill bits large enough to do that are in the industral range and would cost the earth. I have to mention now however that we are not talking beginners turning on bits of wood that size so you would have to put in a bit of time on the lathe and get the hang of things first. I am sure you will also want to turn other stuff. When you get a lathe you just cant help yourself. Anything sitting around is in danger of being turned.
Keep us posted how you go.
John

orraloon
3rd November 2008, 05:38 PM
I did not see the post by Texian before I sent mine. If the inside dia. is only 4 1/2'' then it would be easier to find someone with a big drillpress and a large bit. I was thinking you wanted the whole thing hollowed.
If the birds are not fussed by the inside being circular then as Papa said just scoop it out any old how.
Regards
John

Papa
3rd November 2008, 05:56 PM
You could clean the inside with a rotary file for the final clean up.

Amazon.com: Pro-Grade Carbide Steel Rotary Rasp Set - 1/4" Shank - LIFETIME WARRANTY!: Home Improvement

Also you need just little down slope in the entry hole so water
won't run in.

robutacion
4th November 2008, 02:02 AM
Hi Woodskie,

I'm just curious why you are not doing these birds houses, out a natural already hollow logs. There are a huge amount of these hollow logs everywhere, and the vast majority of them, believe me, are not ever going to be used by any wildlife in their natural status.
Not long ago, I was selling these logs on eBay, natural condition, for people to use on all sorts of situation, birds houses, reptiles houses (hiding places), nesting places or some other creatures, etc., etc. I did salvage them from timbers cut for turning, firewood, etc. as I didn't wanted to brake them up, but make good use of them.

I can get you a pallet of them, with some time notice if you want, and if the freight and timber prices are a acceptable to you, no problem!:D

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO
RBTCO

Woodskie
4th November 2008, 12:48 PM
That's a bluebird house, so the inside diameter should be 4-1/2" to 5". The hole size, IIRC, is 1-1/2" for eastern bluebirds and 1-5/8" for western bluebirds.
Yeah, I want to be able to make different sized houses for various species.

I was kinda hoping to avoid the "chip & drill" way of hollowing out the logs. Seems like there should be a faster/easier way to obtain the results I'm looking for. (Maybe not)
Maybe a better picture is in order,..
http://www.bluebirdhousing.com/images/bluebird_house_housing.jpg

http://www.bluebirdhousing.com/images/bluebird_house_housing.jpg

I have access to a Powermatic 90 wood lathe (most likely from the 1970's). 12inch X 36inch gap. I've never used a lathe before but was thinking there are ways to bore out the center of logs? Or maybe there isn't? Anyway What I've been doing is lopping off a quarter of the log on the bandsaw(lengthwise), then standing it up & cutting out the center part to about 2 inches thick all around, then nailing on a Back, bottom & roof top. But I think the other way as in the photos is much more appealing & easier to mount, etc. THanks again for any input.

Sal

OGYT
4th November 2008, 01:39 PM
Woodskie, I turn birdhouses quite often. If you're wanting bird houses sized for bluebirds, like the one in your link, it's easy. Get a 8-9 inch diameter log, about 14" in length. Mount it between centers. Turn a spigot on one end for chuck mounting. Mount in Chuck. Turn one smooth band about 4" from tailstock end, and mount steady rest. Remove tailstock. Use parting tool to plunge into edge of the smooth band, at 45 degree angle towards the headstock. Plunge all the way into the center, so the bottom is parted off as a cone. Saw off the cone, leaving 1/2" or so of the angle so you can glue the bottom back onto the house, after you're finished hollowing. Put the bottom aside. Hollow out the inside of the birdhouse about 5" diameter, to a depth of about 7 inches, Make a mark on the outside somewhere, so you will know where the top of the hollow is. Glue the bottom back onto the house, using polyurethane glue (waterproof) and use the tailstock to hold it firm til the glue sets. You can shape the roof if you want to get fancy, or just take it off the lathe, and cut it at a slant and put a board for the roof. Measure down about 2.75 inches from the top of the inside, and bore a 1.5 in hole through to the inside. You're done.
I shape the top and the bottom of mine, and coat the outside with 3 coats of Valspar Marine Clear Polyurethane.
Don't put any finish on the inside.
You can see some burned rings on the bottoms of those in this pic. The bottom was parted at the center ring. The burn just disguises the cut.

Manuka Jock
4th November 2008, 02:46 PM
yep , what he said

Woodskie ,
it looks as tho you will have to work your way up to this type of Hollow Form Turning .
Its not really entry level stuff .
Check out your nearest Woodturners Club , for all sorts of reasons , most of all , safety .

cheers ,
Jock

Texian
6th November 2008, 01:57 PM
Great looking houses Al, and good advice on how to make them. For ref., bluebirds do not like a perch below the opening, but prefer just a rough surface area there. This also helps prevent some other species of birds from taking over their houses.