PDA

View Full Version : Durden TT400

comgreserv
5th November 2008, 07:12 PM
Hi All,
Am seeking info on this lathe. Any complaints? Does Durden still exist? website? Can you get riser blocks to increase height above bed? Any idea on what the new price should be?
Many thanks in anticipation for your collective help!:wink:

Jim Carroll
5th November 2008, 07:22 PM
Durden themselves do not exist.

I seem to recall some one having copies of the lathes for sale a couple of years ago, certainly not made locally.

Spare parts etc would be at a minimum, but generally these were a very reliable and well built lathe.

RETIRED
5th November 2008, 09:17 PM
A few years ago I nearly sold my soul to own a Durden Top Turn. Beautiful machine.:wink::)

comgreserv
5th November 2008, 09:31 PM
A few years ago I nearly sold my soul to own a Durden Top Turn. Beautiful machine.:wink::)
Cheers ,
The one I'm looking at is a 440. What have you got? Can't seem to find many specs online anywhere. Swing over bed? etc Think this one is only a 4 speed manual adjust.

KevM
5th November 2008, 09:46 PM
Cheers ,
The one I'm looking at is a 440. What have you got? Can't seem to find many specs online anywhere. Swing over bed? etc Think this one is only a 4 speed manual adjust.

So is it a TT400 or a 440?

http://www.fwhercus.com.au/Durden/DURDEN%20TOP%20TURN%20TT400%20MODEL%20A/TOP%20TURN%20LONG%20BED%20450x394.jpg

This is a TT400.

The TT400 was manufactured up until around 2001 or later, great lathe. I have one but the model had probably been manufactured for 10 years or more at that stage. A mate has one to which he added a couple of bed extensions to enable the turning of verandah posts. In the 15 years or so that he has had it, only replaced belts and the headstock bearings (once).

My only regret is not having EVS on it, maybe one day.

comgreserv
5th November 2008, 10:11 PM
Sorry all for the confusion. The lathe I'm looking at is a TT400. :doh:

Any ideas on compatability to common chucks in regards to thread sizes? Any problems I need to be wary of prior to purchase?
Cheers

KevM
5th November 2008, 10:23 PM
Sorry all for the confusion. The lathe I'm looking at is a TT400. :doh:

Any ideas on compatability to common chucks in regards to thread sizes? Any problems I need to be wary of prior to purchase?
Cheers

It came with a choice of spindle threads either M30 x 3.5P or 1" x 10 T.P.I.

Nothing really to look for, there are pretty well bullet proof.

What sort of price is being asked?

comgreserv
5th November 2008, 10:50 PM
It came with a choice of spindle threads either M30 x 3.5P or 1" x 10 T.P.I.

Nothing really to look for, there are pretty well bullet proof.

What sort of price is being asked?

It's a new machine that has been in storage for about 4 yrs... about $3000. Was ordered for a school and then not delivered or some story. All legal. Comes with tax invoice. Already checked that one out.:)

KevM
5th November 2008, 11:10 PM
Axmell were doing a special offer for $3173.50 delivered to any Australian capital city in 2000 on the Durden TT400 of a model they termed the limited edition, came with some extras:-

Bowl turning attachment for out board turning
200mm bed extension
extra tool rest assembly
600mm straight tool rest (uses the second tool rest assembly)
85mm LH face plate
Handwheel brake

As I said before not sure how much longer after this that they were manufactured.

KevM
5th November 2008, 11:14 PM
Link to website (http://www.fwhercus.com.au/) for F.W. Hercus. You will find they are currently moving some Durden parts/manuals on Ebay.

KevM
5th November 2008, 11:21 PM
Hi All,
Am seeking info on this lathe. Can you get riser blocks to increase height above bed?

Missed this question. Swing over bed is 410mm and swing through gap at headstock is 560mm. If you want to go any bigger, turn out board, no need for riser blocks.

All up weight is 240kg.

RETIRED
6th November 2008, 06:55 AM
Cheers ,
The one I'm looking at is a 440. What have you got? Can't seem to find many specs online anywhere. Swing over bed? etc Think this one is only a 4 speed manual adjust.Sorry, I don't own one. The minister of finance withdrew funding.:D

NeilS
6th November 2008, 02:40 PM
What Jim and said.

I had a close look at them down at Durden a few years back. Nice industrial quality machines, but finally decided that they were out of my price range. If I remember correctly, the models available at the time started at about $4.5k and went up from there. So $3k sounds like a run-out price to me.

Neil

TTIT
6th November 2008, 04:20 PM
A few years ago I nearly sold my soul to own a Durden Top Turn. Beautiful machine.:wink::)Wouldn't that be like a second mortgage?!?!?:;

RETIRED
6th November 2008, 04:24 PM
Wouldn't that be like a second mortgage?!?!?:;
3rd.:rolleyes:

rsser
7th November 2008, 10:54 AM
Some souls would only rate the sub-prime market but how would a bank find out? ;-}