PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Event or One Day-Sunday Event Only Now

Pages : [1] 2

DJ’s Timber
7th November 2008, 08:06 PM
Can't reset the poll so have started this new thread to confirm for either 13th or 14th or both days.

Robomanic
7th November 2008, 08:15 PM
Sweet - thanks DJ.

rsser
8th November 2008, 06:57 AM
There's no 'either' option ...

Calm
8th November 2008, 07:01 AM

or Cliffs mandatory "rats ring" :D:D

I'll copy my post from the other thread, it applies to this thread.

I'll pick Sunday but i dont really mind.

I think one day is enough at that time of year, but if it was 2 days i may come to both.

Now sometimes i think i really do procrastinate, but i'm not sure.

Cheers

RETIRED
8th November 2008, 08:27 AM
I put both because it doesn't matter to me.

Cliff Rogers
8th November 2008, 08:52 AM
I can't make it... this year, maybe next year.

DJ’s Timber
8th November 2008, 09:20 AM

Because it can be a pain, I want definite answers :;

rsser
8th November 2008, 11:40 AM
OK, Sunday's my day of worship.

You have the altars ;-}

tea lady
8th November 2008, 02:27 PM
I put Sunday 'cause my hubby is starting to think I spend to much time doing this here woodturning thing. :C with all those blokes.:rolleyes:

Will bring some clay and a table for kiddies to play with so if you have a kid or two, bring 'em. (Will be bringing mine again.:U ) Will also bring my potter's wheel for people to have a giggle on.:cool:

Also bring a little box of lucky-dip desert hardwoods that could make pens or filials or jewelry out of. Call it my Chrissy present for you guys.:santahat:

BTW This thread wanted me to log in again. :hmm: I though I WAS logged in. 'puters :shrug:

PenTurner
9th November 2008, 09:33 PM
Sunday 14th, Amos--will try to get there,!:)

tea lady
10th November 2008, 09:13 AM
Sunday 14th, Amos--will try to get there,!:)

You just want those pen blanks don't you? :p:D Only joking. Will save you some.:2tsup:Maybe you can show us how a master does them.:U

DJ’s Timber
13th November 2008, 10:34 PM
Hmm, 2 for Sat and 6 ea for Sunday or both days.

:think: Might go for both days even if there is only a few of you on the Saturday, doesn't have to be just turning either.

tea lady
13th November 2008, 11:13 PM
Hmm, 2 for Sat and 6 ea for Sunday or both days.

:think: Might go for both days even if there is only a few of you on the Saturday, doesn't have to be just turning either. Lets make a table with the domino.:cool:

Cliff Rogers
14th November 2008, 09:19 AM
Lets make a table with the domino.:cool:

Won't that be a bit small? :?

tea lady
14th November 2008, 03:58 PM
Won't that be a bit small? :?
:rolleyes: Well at least we'll finish it in the weekend.:p

Robomanic
14th November 2008, 04:15 PM
Demos like at Robo's?

If so I would like to see;
- some pens from start to finish, and learn a bit about the different styles (I think DJ's CA finish has already been requested)
- vessel hollowing, vase/small hollow forms etc. Maybe a demo of some of the new laser guided WMD's that I see popping up around here...

DJ’s Timber
14th November 2008, 04:27 PM
You planning a trip down under Gil :roll:

Pheonix
15th November 2008, 08:09 AM
My wife has suddenly developed an aversion to crossing the border,might be the weather.:2tsup:
Must be the result of living in paradise too long?

rsser
16th November 2008, 11:04 AM
Demos like at Robo's?

- vessel hollowing, vase/small hollow forms etc. Maybe a demo of some of the new laser guided WMD's that I see popping up around here...

I can bring a VM hollowing tool rest with a range of home-made and commercial hollowers ... just a show and tell prob. but if there's time on the day (and before) I'll bring a roughed out form. That would need the VL300.

DJ’s Timber
16th November 2008, 11:07 AM
Could pick up the gear beforehand and get something started and set up ready to go for the weekend Ern?

rsser
16th November 2008, 11:14 AM
That's kind of you DJ. Or if the VL300 can be available for an hour and a half or so then I'll do the outside of a form here so we can be ready to play with hollowing on the day.

And I'm happy to talk about my experience with commercial hollowers - the Munro, Proforme and John Jordan.

Gil Jones
16th November 2008, 11:46 AM
Hi DJ,
Nope, not planning a trip way down south (Yet), my Suburban seems to have a problem running when the water gets over the hood.<v:shapetype id="_x0000_t75" coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o=""> :~ <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"><v> <o:lock v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"> </o:lock><v:shape id="_x0000_i1025" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style=" 13.5pt; 13.5pt;"> <v:imagedata src="file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/ADMINI%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_image001.gif" o:href="http://www.woodworkforums.com/images/smilies/anoyd.gif"> </v:imagedata> But, seeing that I recall you saying "Please Vote Regardless", I decided to vote as if I would be there. Sorry if I influenced the vote a little. It would be even up for both or Sunday if you remove my vote.</v:shape></v></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:formulas></v:stroke></v:shapetype> I sure would love to attend!!!
Cheers,

rsser
16th November 2008, 03:57 PM
Gil, as the Top Gear TV program in the UK showed, you just need fat tyres and to hit the water fast ;-}

Robomanic
16th November 2008, 04:13 PM
Thanks guys, sounds like fun.

I will also be bringing these for those who are interested:
http://www.woodworkforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=843849

Not suggesting they are for every day use, but I plan to use them on those that are a bit special.

rsser
16th November 2008, 04:59 PM
Cool ... could use some for bling on the motorbike. Axle ends, bar ends, all with turned caps out of ebony .... woohoo.

Robomanic
17th November 2008, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the response on the hollowing guys.

Any takers on a pen turning demo? How can something that produces such a small article involve so many steps and options :C ?

Calm
17th November 2008, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the response on the hollowing guys.

Any takers on a pen turning demo? How can something that produces such a small article involve so many steps and options :C ?

As it is Spindle turning i thought would jump at the chance.:D:D:2tsup:

He's always ready to demo his skills, not sure of beads & coves but i'm sure he would come up with something.:q:q

Robomanic
17th November 2008, 07:23 PM
That would be about 1:1,000,000 scale for Robo

DJ’s Timber
17th November 2008, 08:39 PM
I'm set up for Pen turning, so if it takes ya fancy, I'll do one for you, heck you can even have a go if you like :;

Calm
17th November 2008, 09:19 PM
Any chance of a bowl coring/saving demo???:no::D

DJ’s Timber
17th November 2008, 09:22 PM
Was going to try to fit that in too Dave, just have to wait and see :;

woodwork wally
17th November 2008, 09:28 PM
G'Day Shannon I would be in 2 of those t/fs thanks Seeyah at DJ's on sat 13th cheers Wally

rsser
20th November 2008, 12:36 PM
Yeah, I'll get my 3 from you on the Sunday if that's OK.

Apart from that, while Robomanic and DJ have shown interest in hollowing tools and/or one version of a holder, is that of any interest to any others coming on the Sunday?

Robomanic
20th November 2008, 01:23 PM
Ern does this mean you were Sunday only?

I had planned to come Saturday only, but pickups from my house in Heathmont by those traveling through Sunday morning would be fine. I would love to come both days but that will be very difficult.

tea lady
20th November 2008, 01:26 PM
As it is Spindle turning i thought would jump at the chance.:D:D:2tsup:

He's always ready to demo his skills, not sure of beads & coves but i'm sure he would come up with something.:q:q

swears he's never made a pen.:oo: :C:no::doh::roll::stretcher:

Robomanic
20th November 2008, 01:32 PM
Better get him some of these:

:D

rsser
20th November 2008, 01:32 PM
Yeah, sorry Shannon. Sun only for me.

Guess that might settle the matter of your request to see WMDs, unless other requests roll in.

PM me your bank details and I'll deposit ferrule and postage costs.

Shame we couldn't hook up at DJs.

RETIRED
20th November 2008, 01:49 PM
swears he's never made a pen.:oo: :C:no::doh::roll::stretcher:Damn right!!!!:D

Better get him some of these:

:DCould use them sometimes Shannon.:wink::)

Robomanic
20th November 2008, 03:49 PM
hmmm,

I was looking forward to WMD's and it is enough for me to swap days. Sorry if anyone looking for bling on Saturday will be inconvenienced.

(call me organized, I think i did the exact same thing with Robo's do)

rsser
23rd November 2008, 03:55 PM
Well, we've not had any more votes for a session on hollowing tools/holders and maybe that's no surprise since we had one at the last turn-fest at my place.

Shannon, if you're ever out my way (Reservoir), drop in and you can have a play with my kit.

Robomanic
23rd November 2008, 04:05 PM
Seems fair enough - thanks Ern.

rsser
24th November 2008, 05:32 PM
By the way, TTIT (aka Vern) is coming down for a family visit and will be staying at my place the night of Dec. 20.

If you'd like to catch up with him, I'll put on a barbie.

Numbers limited to an additional 5. Let me know if you'd like to join us.

GJ, you're on the list.

It's in Reservoir, 10 mins from the Ring Rd.

jefferson
24th November 2008, 05:47 PM
Ern,

I'm in Melb on or around the 17th, staying close to you in McLeod. Any chance of booking me in? I could bring my new toy down, plus the Oland etc.

regards Jeff

rsser
24th November 2008, 05:56 PM
Sure Jeff.

4 places left.

It'll be a social rather than a turning event, but some turning b.s. in the shed is likely :rolleyes:

Grumpy John
24th November 2008, 07:34 PM
By the way, TTIT (aka Vern) is coming down for a family visit and will be staying at my place the night of Dec. 20.

If you'd like to catch up with him, I'll put on a barbie.

Numbers limited to an additional 5. Let me know if you'd like to join us.

GJ, you're on the list.

It's in Reservoir, 10 mins from the Ring Rd.

Thanks Ern :2tsup:.

DJ’s Timber
24th November 2008, 07:53 PM
Reserve a place for Andy and myself Ern, haven't checked with Andy yet but I'm sure he'll want in on this one, so I'll give him a lift and come along as well :;

Cliff Rogers
24th November 2008, 08:47 PM
....It'll be a social rather than a turning event, but some turning b.s. in the shed is likely :rolleyes:

The best kind at Christmas. :2tsup:

DJ’s Timber
24th November 2008, 08:58 PM
Reserve a place for Andy and myself Ern, haven't checked with Andy yet but I'm sure he'll want in on this one, so I'll give him a lift and come along as well :;

Andy has confirmed with me and it is yes, so that's 2 confrimed :2tsup:

rsser
25th November 2008, 05:47 AM
Cool.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th November 2008, 10:22 AM
:yes:

Thanks again, Dj. I meant to say so myself, but I've been so busy lately that I can only flit in & out of the forums for a few moments at a time and I got sidetracked... :-

Groggy
25th November 2008, 10:42 AM
Saturday for me please.

jefferson
25th November 2008, 01:15 PM
Ern,

Should I bring my new toy down with me (the VL100?). I haven't built a mobile stand for it yet, but can try to get something organised. Depends on interest I guess.

What about some wood? Plenty of 4 by 4 redgum here.

Jeff

Groggy
25th November 2008, 01:32 PM
Where IS this happening. The start of the thread suggested at DJs and now people are booking with Ern ::whatonearth:

I can attend either but am not sure where to be :B

EDIT: ok. It looks like TTIT is here and Ern is hosting a BBQ on the 20th. The turnfest is at DJ's on 13th & 14th - is that right? we now have two events in the same thread?

Oooh, my head, my head :doh:

rsser
25th November 2008, 01:34 PM
You got it Greg.

Sorry to sow confusion ... thought this thread was more likely than a new one to reach the right people.

rsser
25th November 2008, 01:38 PM
Jeff, as I said, it's a social event but thanks for the lathe offer.

If your redgum has consistent grain I'd be interested in a metre or so for my scraper experiments.

jefferson
26th November 2008, 07:59 AM
Ern, no worries about the redgum. Just give me a little prod closer to the date!

Jeff

rsser
26th November 2008, 10:32 AM
That'd be v. kind Jeff.

Prod :wink:

Grumpy John
26th November 2008, 01:00 PM
I would like to issue a challenge to some of our more accomplished spindle turners. If DJ (or any one for that matter) has access to maybe 4 - 6 pieces of timber ~100mm sq and ~ 500mm long I would like to see who can turn the most parallel spindle, finished dia. not important, just parallelism. No prize being offered just the admiration and respect of a turning novice.

Any one interested?

rsser
26th November 2008, 01:02 PM
heh heh ... tolerances measured to what GJ? 5 thou? ;-}

Grumpy John
26th November 2008, 01:15 PM
heh heh ... tolerances measured to what GJ? 5 thou? ;-}

Bring that 2 micron (0.00047874") dial indicator of yours Ern :D

tea lady
26th November 2008, 04:28 PM
So....... a rolling pin challenge this time rather than a frisbee?:D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
26th November 2008, 05:25 PM
chopsticks?

rsser
26th November 2008, 05:35 PM
Yep, that'd do me.

They're mostly square aren't they? ;-}

DJ’s Timber
26th November 2008, 07:33 PM
Got plenty of short pieces of Redgum 4 x 4's from 400mm up to 800mm or so, so we can organise it if needed :;

jefferson
26th November 2008, 08:28 PM
DJ, those short lumps of 4 by 4 would be handy - would save me cutting up some potential table legs!

But I will see what else is around anyway. Looking forward to it.

Jeff

Calm
26th November 2008, 08:34 PM
DJ, those short lumps of 4 by 4 would be handy - would save me cutting up some potential table legs!

Jeff

Why waste good redgum on chop sticks:o:o - i could probably find some rubbish for a job like that - AKA pine/cypress :D:D - Ern might already have some?:no::no:

DJ’s Timber
26th November 2008, 08:34 PM

Jeff

Does this mean you're coming to the Weekend event now Jeff?

Thought you were tied up elsewhere :?

DJ’s Timber
26th November 2008, 08:37 PM
Why waste good redgum on chop sticks:o:o - i could probably find some rubbish for a job like that - AKA pine/cypress :D:D - Ern might already have some?:no::no:

It won't be wasted Dave :no:, its not much good for anything else, it'll most likely end up in the fire place next year :; plus we can't make it too easy :doh:

Calm
26th November 2008, 08:41 PM
I would like to issue a challenge to some of our more accomplished spindle turners. If DJ (or any one for that matter) has access to maybe 4 - 6 pieces of timber ~100mm sq and ~ 500mm long I would like to see who can turn the most parallel spindle, finished dia. not important, just parallelism. No prize being offered just the admiration and respect of a turning novice.

Any one interested?

So he who is permanently unfreindly:D:D is this a "tool of choice" challenge or half gouge / half skew chisel. Come on if you are setting a challenge get the rules out there so we can practice:q:q:D:D:D

Cheers

jefferson
26th November 2008, 09:19 PM
Sorry, DJ, unable to get to the main event at your place. I'm intending to be in Melb on 17 Dec and will stay over for Ern's BBQ. Can't miss the wife's birthday, apologies.

Jeff

DJ’s Timber
26th November 2008, 09:34 PM
No worries :2tsup:

Gets a bit confusing when there is 2 events being discussed in the one thread :doh:

Can't have you missing the good wife's birthday :no: especially when she is very understanding and supportive of your tool addiction :; :U

rsser
26th November 2008, 09:50 PM
Thanks for your kind offer DJ. Yes pls, if:

The key thing here is consistent grain with no checking.

Gotta be impartial in the testing business, esp since I really want to put sh*t on honing scrapers :rolleyes: but am open to evidence.

When your lengths of dunnage were turned down they checked a good deal and only yielded about 60cm clear. Not blaming you mind.

The microscopic evidence (ok, one tool, one test) is that using a burnisher to 'turn' a hook provides only modest improvement over dry grinding.

Robomanic
26th November 2008, 10:19 PM

Any one interested?

hahah good idea GJ - Spot the fitter amongst us :D

I'm interested. Finish off the tool, length of piece greater than available toolrest, no other tools/equipment allowed?

Get it parallel and cut clean across the end and you have something to check your set square against :2tsup:

tea lady
26th November 2008, 10:50 PM
We could all just use the same piece of wood. Just keep turning it smaller.:D Use the skewer at the end for dinner.:cool:

Grumpy John
27th November 2008, 12:13 AM
So he who is permanently unfreindly:D:D is this a "tool of choice" challenge or half gouge / half skew chisel. Come on if you are setting a challenge get the rules out there so we can practice:q:q:D:D:D

Cheers

hahah good idea GJ - Spot the fitter amongst us :D

I'm interested. Finish off the tool, length of piece greater than available toolrest, no other tools/equipment allowed?

Get it parallel and cut clean across the end and you have something to check your set square against :2tsup:

Same rules as in a knife fight, there are no rules, except that the spindle must be hand turned. Check diameters at 50mm intervals over 400mm. Weapon of choice either spindle (oops) gouge or skew chisel.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th November 2008, 02:12 AM
Same rules as in a knife fight, there are no rules, except that the spindle must be hand turned. Check diameters at 50mm intervals over 400mm. Weapon of choice either bowl gouge or skew chisel.

No rules, he says, and then lays some down. :rolleyes:

What if my weapon of choice should be a spindle gouge, bedan or [gasp] scraper? :p

Grumpy John
27th November 2008, 06:09 AM
No rules, he says, and then lays some down. :rolleyes:

What if my weapon of choice should be a spindle gouge, bedan or [gasp] scraper? :p

Ah yes, but in a knife fight they still have knives, not guns. :D

Did that even make any sense :?

Calm
27th November 2008, 06:56 AM
Same rules as in a knife fight, there are no rules, except that the spindle must be hand turned. Check diameters at 50mm intervals over 400mm. Weapon of choice either bowl gouge or skew chisel.

Now oh wise one - no rules, knife fight - heres a broady boy for you :D:D - and Bowl gouge -

Now you better run this past the master (who weilds an axe) he is definite that you can't use a roughing gouge on a bowl but can you use a bowl gouge on a spindle??:B:q:D:D:?

Cheers

Grumpy John
27th November 2008, 07:12 AM
Now oh wise one - no rules, knife fight - heres a broady boy for you :D:D - and Bowl gouge -

Now you better run this past the master (who weilds an axe) he is definite that you can't use a roughing gouge on a bowl but can you use a bowl gouge on a spindle??:B:q:D:D:?

Cheers

"Jordy Boy" actually. Good pickup David :B, it even got past Skew :2tsup: :2tsup:

Robomanic
27th November 2008, 07:49 AM
So while we are not specifying rules here...
Error measurements absolute or % of diameter?

DJ’s Timber
27th November 2008, 07:55 AM
You guys are starting to talk like engineers now http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/smilies/sad/argue.gif :roll: :q

Grumpy John
27th November 2008, 07:59 AM
So while we are not specifying rules here...
Error measurements absolute or % of diameter?

Let me see :hmm:, how about 1.5mm (1/64") total variation in size. Measured with digital vernier (much easier on us oldies with crappy eyesight :D).

How does that sound Shannon?

Robomanic
27th November 2008, 07:59 AM
:q well I is one

Grumpy John
27th November 2008, 08:01 AM
You guys are starting to talk like engineers now :argue: :roll: :q

New business card title "Timber Engineer" :D

Robomanic
27th November 2008, 08:07 AM
Let me see :hmm:, how about 1.5mm (1/64") total variation in size. Measured with digital vernier (much easier on us oldies with crappy eyesight :D).

How does that sound Shannon?

I was trying to think how you would score it (of course all rules are made to be exploited)

I though you could take the largest diameter and smallest diameter of all the measurements along the piece, then score in two ways possibly.
A. Difference between the smallest and largest as an absolute error
B. Difference / smallest diameter to give % error.

smallest wins in either case but it may change how you go about it :;

tea lady
27th November 2008, 08:18 AM
I reckon, add up all the differences.:D

I don't have to bring small boy anymore. Birthday invite arrived so big and small boy are otherwise engaged.:cool: So swearing is now allowed.:D

Grumpy John
27th November 2008, 08:28 AM
I was trying to think how you would score it (of course all rules are made to be exploited)

I though you could take the largest diameter and smallest diameter of all the measurements along the piece, then score in two ways possibly.
A. Difference between the smallest and largest as an absolute error
B. Difference / smallest diameter to give % error.

smallest wins in either case but it may change how you go about it :;

Ok. there are now rules, refer to the link for further information http://www.roymech.co.uk/Useful_Tables/ISO_Tolerances/ISO_LIMITS.htm
:D:D:D:D

Just joking, it wasn't my intention to turn this into a competition. I was only interested in seeing how well developed tool control was in some of our more experienced turners.

Calm
27th November 2008, 08:33 AM
Ok. there are now rules, refer to the link for further information http://www.roymech.co.uk/Useful_Tables/ISO_Tolerances/ISO_LIMITS.htm
:D:D:D:D

Just joking, it wasn't my intention to turn this into a competition. I was only interested in seeing how well developed tool control was in some of our more experienced turners.

A competition so what are the prises - you cant have a comp without prises or trophies/plaques/ribbons:D:D

Will there be a dias to present them??:D:D

cheers

Grumpy John
27th November 2008, 08:37 AM
A competition so what are the prises - you cant have a comp without prises or trophies/plaques/ribbons:D:D

Will there be a dias to present them??:D:D

cheers

I said I didn't want to turn this into a competition, but I'll try and get Cameron Dias to hand out ribbons.

tea lady
27th November 2008, 09:13 AM
But aren't the prizes just a REALLY straight rolling pin? :?

I could "present" them if you like. :D :stretcher:

Calm
27th November 2008, 09:25 AM
But aren't the prizes just a REALLY straight rolling pin? :?

I could "present" them if you like. :D :stretcher:
Without a photo TL it is hard to make the comparison with Cameron Dias??:?:B:q

Cheers

Hope i got way with that one

tea lady
27th November 2008, 11:52 AM
Without a photo TL it is hard to make the comparison with Cameron Dias??:?:B:q I dunno. What's her rolling pin wielding technique like?:D

Cheers

Hope i got way with that one

Maybe! I think 's away till Monday. :mwahaha: And DJ's helping Wouldwood go shopping.:D

DJ’s Timber
27th November 2008, 01:03 PM
And DJ's helping Wouldwood go shopping.:D

Never assume on where I might be :roll:

tea lady
27th November 2008, 03:07 PM

:p

Then will you get Calm under control, please!:((

:whistling: :D

Robomanic
27th November 2008, 03:25 PM

Worse than Santa...!

rsser
27th November 2008, 03:27 PM
Prob around this time of year DJ will be playing Santa ... dropping off good bits of timber to go under the Xmas tree.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th November 2008, 05:40 PM
Prob around this time of year DJ will be playing Santa ... dropping off good bits of timber to go under the Xmas tree.

So long as those "good bits" aren't simply the leftovers from slabbing up the chrissie tree... :innocent:

DJ’s Timber
27th November 2008, 05:51 PM
So long as those "good bits" aren't simply the leftovers from slabbing up the chrissie tree... :innocent:
The plastic ones don't slab too well these days :;

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th November 2008, 06:17 PM
So that is where acrylic pen blanks come from! :D:p

tea lady
27th November 2008, 09:51 PM
So that is where acrylic pen blanks come from! :D:p

:rofl: