PDA

View Full Version : Bowl Making Made Easy!!

Ed Reiss
8th November 2008, 12:53 AM
Kinda' takes the fun out of making bowls, but terrific for production work!

YouTube - wooden bowls

Ad de Crom
8th November 2008, 03:14 AM
Ed, I saw this video already a time ago, and felt in sleep.
I don't think you like it to turn bowls that way, isn't it.
Ad :D

Paul39
8th November 2008, 05:19 AM
Here is the web site / catalog for the bowls:

http://www.hollandbowlmill.com/

I sure would not want to make bowls there, but I do like the machine that gets a bunch of bowls out of one piece of timber. I know of one system that runs a curved cutter between two steel pegs. The system on a pivot looks more positive and less likely to bind.

Paul

Ed Reiss
8th November 2008, 07:25 AM
Ed, I saw this video already a time ago, and felt in sleep.
I don't think you like it to turn bowls that way, isn't it.
Ad :D

In all likelyhood.....no:no::no::no::no::no:

hughie
8th November 2008, 07:56 AM
Nice one Ed,but as you say a little boring....like to see em do a hollow vessel :U

mass produced bowls for our throw away society....sorta a new angle on planned obsolescence.

Manuka Jock
8th November 2008, 08:15 AM
So true , but , if it awakens folk to the beauty and practicality of wooden utensils , bowls included , it may lead them to wanting a more individual , size , type , style , etc .

The only way to get that is to turn them by hand eh :2tsup:
we give 'em uniqueness :D

corbs
8th November 2008, 08:50 AM
Holy crap... did you see him mount the blank on the lathe:o. A bowl a minute is a lot of bowls in a day.

Cliff Rogers
8th November 2008, 09:07 AM
Fasinating.... :cool:

I wonder what that gear cost to set up & just how many wooden bowls you would have to produce at what price to break even factoring in the cost of the logs & the wages. :think:

orraloon
8th November 2008, 09:11 AM
I like the way they save timber bit it does not look like fun.

RETIRED
8th November 2008, 03:06 PM
Holy crap... did you see him mount the blank on the lathe:o. A bowl a minute is a lot of bowls in a day.Welcome to production work.:D

tea lady
8th November 2008, 06:40 PM
But they talk on the video like they are making art. I think their words are "turning is a lost art. And then going on like they are doing this lost art. :shrug: Called them "exquisite bowls" too. I think that is going a bit far. What does one call a REALLY exquisite bowl now? :doh:

Manuka Jock
8th November 2008, 06:58 PM
They look to me to be tourist souvenir stock .
No different to the 'Maori carvings ' made onmultiple spindle carving machines , and then sanded , hand incised , and spray painted :((

The tourists are conned into thinking that they are hand carved in NZ .
Who knows where they get produced :~

munruben
8th November 2008, 07:13 PM
Wow, fascinating.

Sawdust Maker
8th November 2008, 09:16 PM
doesn't look like fun to me:no:
and exquisite bowl - be buggered
trouble with the mass produced stuff is that it lowers the value (in the mind of the public) of the really nice hand done work

joe greiner
8th November 2008, 11:06 PM
I saw something like this on the telly a while back. And there are some systems available to DIYers; Kelton and McNaughton come to mind, and maybe OneWay I think. Although they relieve some of the tedium of hollowing, they only make spherical bowls AFAICT. Non-spherical, e.g. with wings or natural edge, will always be unique and secure higher prices and admiration.

Joe

robutacion
9th November 2008, 12:01 AM
They look to me to be tourist souvenir stock .
No different to the 'Maori carvings ' made onmultiple spindle carving machines , and then sanded , hand incised , and spray painted :((

The tourists are conned into thinking that they are hand carved in NZ .
Who knows where they get produced :~

Yeah, I agree, interesting to see, good timber yield, good machine operators but, not art...!
And off-course, your comment reminds me of my time in the NT (Northern Territory - Australia), where I would find didgeridoos and boomerangs for sale at the local souvenir shops, made in CHINA:?:o, yeah...!

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

weisyboy
9th November 2008, 12:13 AM
its a back to front bowl saver. :U

Ed Reiss
9th November 2008, 12:19 AM
But they talk on the video like they are making art. I think their words are "turning is a lost art. And then going on like they are doing this lost art. :shrug: Called them "exquisite bowls" too. I think that is going a bit far. What does one call a REALLY exquisite bowl now? :doh:

A better description of what they are producing would be "treen". By no means are they "art":no:

During my "production" days, one of the items I was making and wholesaling by the hundreds to gift shops and such, were Mason Jar lids. Even though they were finished nicely, to my mind they were still in the "treen" category.

chrisb691
9th November 2008, 08:18 AM
Interesting comment re steaming the bowls.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th November 2008, 02:33 PM
They are to art what plaster garden gnomes are to classic statuary.

Interesting method, but I dislike bowl-savers in a hobbyist's workshop, let alone a commercial enterprise built around them. :shrug:

It'd be nice to have enough pieces lined up to just dip 'em in the finish as they're doing though. I've always wanted to set up a dip of Danish Oil, but the few times I've felt like "wasting" a large tin of DO I've always had problems with the pieces sticking to the racks or each other as they drain. Looks like it's not a problem with mineral oil.

joe greiner
9th November 2008, 08:11 PM
Hijack re: dipping: On a drawbridge project, we had about 500 cast iron blocks, 75lbs. each, for trimming the counterweights - like wheel-balancing weights functionally. We specified painting, more to avoid rust stains than to protect the iron. There was no requirement for sample submittals. The fabricator asked if they could be dipped for painting; "Sure, why not?" I said. Damned if he didn't submit a sample for approval anyway. It now provides ballast in a lower shelf of my drill press rolling caddy.:D

Joe

Paul39
10th November 2008, 11:00 AM
"Interesting method, but I dislike bowl-savers in a hobbyist's workshop, let alone a commercial enterprise built around them."

I saw a nice piece of wood in a woodworking supply shop several months ago. About 12 X 12 X 4 inches. US$295. If I ever bought a piece of wood like that I wouldn't mind getting two bowls out of it.

On the other hand, hell will freeze over before I pay that for wood, no matter how pretty.

Paul