PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Elm WIP

Grumpy John
12th November 2008, 11:59 AM
G'day All,
Started having a play around with a piece of Chinese Elm yesterday, I didn't think much would come of it so I didn't take any photos of the blank :doh:. To be honest I thought it would fall to pieces while being turned as there were two massive cracks in it. After a quick rough out of the outside I quickly realised that there was some beautiful colour with a mix of light sapwood and dark heartwood, not only that but there was some spalting going on as well :2tsup:. Anyway, photos of the piece so far. I've filled the cracks with 24 hr. Aradite mixed with ground coffee beans, couple of shots of the work area included for those interested.

Cliff Rogers
12th November 2008, 12:12 PM
Shows promise. :2tsup:

Ed Reiss
12th November 2008, 01:04 PM
:whs: ........nice colors in that blank!

How's life at Bunnie's?

hughie
12th November 2008, 01:36 PM
Thats definitley Elm it opens up real well :C :~ :U I filled mine with coffee grounds it blends real well and looks much like bark inclusions

One thing about the Elm is it will take a good shine, wax,DO or varnish etc

Rum Pig
12th November 2008, 04:04 PM
looking good so far:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

TTIT
12th November 2008, 08:50 PM
Should look good if you can keep it together John :2tsup:
Like the shed setup too - and I see you use the same expensive brand of CA as myself :;:U

Robomanic
12th November 2008, 11:26 PM
Good one GJ,

Tricky blank but it should be worth it in the end - great colours in there that look worth going after.

The coffee grounds seems to keep popping up here. Do you get a smooth black fill or does it keep a bit of texture when you look into the exposed epoxy?

robutacion
13th November 2008, 01:18 AM
Hi Grumpy John,
Gees, I'm glad that is indeed Chinese Elm, cause I was starting to get worried about that Chimese Elm timber...! (thread tittle) what? another new timber...?, not after what I'm going through with this other "strange" wood!:doh::D.

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself...! my turn, huh?:D

Seriously, I hope that it keeps in one piece as you go, those tent to "fly" off the chuck, and from the size of it, it will hurt...!:roll:
Appart from that, is a nice chunk of wood with nice colours on it so, lets see how it turns up!
Good luck!

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

Grumpy John
13th November 2008, 04:24 AM
:whs: ........nice colors in that blank!

How's life at Bunnie's?

Yeah, the colours really surprised me once I started cutting into it. Refer to the latest "I Got A Job" posts for recent updates, going well thanks for asking.

Should look good if you can keep it together John :2tsup:
Like the shed setup too - and I see you use the same expensive brand of CA as myself :;:U

Thanks Vern, you put me on to the "good" stuff in the "melaleuca" post. I buy 5 packs at a time now.

Good one GJ,

Tricky blank but it should be worth it in the end - great colours in there that look worth going after.

The coffee grounds seems to keep popping up here. Do you get a smooth black fill or does it keep a bit of texture when you look into the exposed epoxy?

This is the first time I've used coffee grounds so I'm in new territory here.

OGYT
13th November 2008, 06:05 AM
Really looking good. Nice shed, too. Grounds are setting it off!. :U

Grumpy John
13th November 2008, 12:55 PM
OK, starting on the inside now. The colours in this piece are fantastic, I think I'll lose most of the spalted area depending how thin I go. This raises the question of how thin should I go? The cracks and different densities in the one piece tell me not to go too thin, but the delicate lines of the bowl don't lend themselves to a thick wall either. :?

Some guidance please, I suppose the spalted area gets a good covering of CA.

So far I've been using a homemade Oland tool to form the inside.

Thamks to the moderator who corrected my spellink mistake ;-)

Ed Reiss
13th November 2008, 01:34 PM
OK, starting on the inside now. The colours in this piece are fantastic, I think I'll lose most of the spalted area depending how thin I go. This raises the question of how thin should I go? The cracks and different densities in the one piece tell me not to go too thin, but the delicate lines of the bowl don't lend themselves to a thick wall either. :?

Some guidance please, I suppose the spalted area gets a good covering of CA.

So far I've been using a homemade Oland tool to form the inside.

Thamks to the moderator who corrected my spellink mistake ;-)

GJ, so far so good...as to how thin to go, it's usually a personal preference but 6.5mm to 9 mm would probably be about right. Of course the condition of the wood as you get down to around 12-15mm might say different!:doh:

Ca, ca, and more ca from both the inside and outside of the spalted area as you progress!:2tsup:

Just a suggestion for the checked areas...before it gets too thin, mix up some fiberglass resin tinted either black or dark brown to fill those cracks. Especially the one at the rim to keep it from breaking off while turning.

Robomanic
13th November 2008, 01:34 PM
Very Nice :2tsup:

I'd be interested to see how you go with the epoxy.

Machinability, hardness, chipping out?
Finish/Sandability, clogging?

(btw I have been getting through some of those blanks you swapped with me. The Banksia and the Blackwood I am pretty happy with, building up courage to tackle the melaluca :C )

Grumpy John
13th November 2008, 02:21 PM
GJ, so far so good...as to how thin to go, it's usually a personal preference but 6.5mm to 9 mm would probably be about right. Of course the condition of the wood as you get down to around 12-15mm might say different!:doh:

Ca, ca, and more ca from both the inside and outside of the spalted area as you progress!:2tsup:

Just a suggestion for the checked areas...before it gets too thin, mix up some fiberglass resin tinted either black or dark brown to fill those cracks. Especially the one at the rim to keep it from breaking off while turning.

Ed, I'm filling the cracks with a mixture of 2 part epoxy resin (Araldite) and ground coffee beans and flooding the punky bits with CA (the good stuff $2 for 7 tubes :2tsup:)

Very Nice :2tsup:

I'd be interested to see how you go with the epoxy.

Machinability, hardness, chipping out?
Finish/Sandability, clogging?

(btw I have been getting through some of those blanks you swapped with me. The Banksia and the Blackwood I am pretty happy with, building up courage to tackle the melaluca :C )

Shannon, epoxy/coffee combo machines OK and sands alright too. I'm using the 24hr stuff and waiting 30 hours before working it. I was a bit worried that the colour might "bleed" into the surrounding area when sanding, but so far so good. Unfortunately I managed to get a couple of air bubbles that I'll have to fix up later.

On the subject of araldite, what's a good solvent for cleaning up spatulas/mixing boards, fingers?

Mulgabill
13th November 2008, 04:23 PM
Nice project GJ :2tsup:

Before Araldite sets it can be cleaned up with Acetone (available from Bunnies :roll:) but when it is cured, the best of luck! :no:

Grumpy John
13th November 2008, 07:31 PM
Nice project GJ :2tsup:

Before Araldite sets it can be cleaned up with Acetone (available from Bunnies :roll:) but when it is cured, the best of luck! :no:

I knew Acetone worked for CA, but I didn't know it removed un-cured Araldite as well. I'll have to get a litre or four :D.

Ed Reiss
14th November 2008, 12:41 AM
Ed, I'm filling the cracks with a mixture of 2 part epoxy resin (Araldite) and ground coffee beans and flooding the punky bits with CA (the good stuff $2 for 7 tubes :2tsup:)

Epoxy is just as good if not better than resin, but I've found that resin is thinner and flows better into cracks.

$2 bucks AU? ....that's probably somewhere around $1.39 US .....what a deal!!!:o

Grumpy John
14th November 2008, 08:28 AM
Epoxy is just as good if not better than resin, but I've found that resin is thinner and flows better into cracks.

Thanks for the tip Ed, I'll keep that in mind for the future :2tsup:.

rsser
14th November 2008, 09:18 AM
Shannon, I've been using 5 min epoxy 50/50 with fine coffee grounds - cuts, sands and finishes OK but I wouldn't swear for it cutting thinner than 3 - 4 mm. If you wanted more texture then try coarser grounds.

GJ, that's looking pretty spekky.

joe greiner
15th November 2008, 12:17 AM
I've been using 60-minute epoxy with coffee grounds for more controllable filling. If packed proud, and well before the final cutting, the final cut and sanding reveals a terrazzo-like effect.

I've had some difficulties with shelf life and manufacturing codes for the epoxy. After a year or so of telephone calls and suggestions, it looks like the best way to use epoxy is to not stockpile it, and buy only on an as-needed basis. If the expiry date isn't displayed, telephone the manufacturer for assistance before using. The cost of acquisition, and return of defective products, is still worth the results of saving a piece from the firewood bin.

Very nice BTW, GJ.

Joe

Evan Pavlidis
15th November 2008, 05:26 AM
Nice looking blank. The 5th pic says a lot :2tsup:

Evan :)

Grumpy John
15th November 2008, 12:00 PM
Just about finished this project. I thought I'd have it finished today, however I'm not happy with the uneven rim caused by the bowl moving over the 4 days of applying epoxy, turning, applying epoxy. There are a couple of air bubbles in the epoxy/coffee mix, also I was a bit heavy handed during sanding and there is a dip in the spalted section. There is nothing that can't be fixed with re-mounting and a light touch up. I'll be taking it along to DJ's on the 14th for further advice and opinions from the experts/peanut gallery :D.
All in all I"m happy with the form and colours in the timber. Final size 190mm dia. x 45mm high.

Ed Reiss
15th November 2008, 12:42 PM
Wow GJ....that's a beaut already!:2tsup::2tsup:

Texian
15th November 2008, 12:49 PM
Very cool piece GJ! Lots of patience and determination on your part.

For ref., the 5 min. and 30 min. two part epoxy can be thinned with DNA to help it flow into tiny spaces.

Grumpy John
15th November 2008, 02:25 PM
For ref., the 5 min. and 30 min. two part epoxy can be thinned with DNA to help it flow into tiny spaces.

Thanks for the tip Richard, always handy to know these things.
Are you anywhere near Austin? Visiting E6th Street in Austin and Beale Street in Memphis was like dying and going to heaven, that's where they play real music :2tsup:.

rsser
15th November 2008, 02:26 PM
Good form and striking figure GJ. Nice one.

FWIW with 5 min epoxy I use an artist's palette knife to force the mix into cracks.

RETIRED
15th November 2008, 03:07 PM
Very cool piece GJ! Lots of patience and determination on your part.

For ref., the 5 min. and 30 min. two part epoxy can be thinned with DNA to help it flow into tiny spaces.A new use for blood?:D:rolleyes:

Texian
15th November 2008, 03:30 PM
, You are kidding, right? DNA is denatured alcohol, which is perfectly good ethanol that they have ruined (made poisonous) by the addition of some offensive material.

GJ, We are about 20 miles southwest of Austin, which is a veritable hotbed of musicians and woodturners. Wimberley has numerous musical events, and we get to hear some great music close to home sometimes. Glad you enjoyed your visit. I'm just an average turner and/but would welcome your visit next time you are in the area.

rsser
15th November 2008, 04:48 PM
Richard, we invest a lot of ourselves in our work over here.

RETIRED
15th November 2008, 06:01 PM
, You are kidding, right?Who? Me? Nah mate, never.:rolleyes::D

Sawdust Maker
15th November 2008, 08:41 PM
GJ
Looks good
just goes to show that a dud looking piece of timber might just be an ugly duckling waiting to get out

Robomanic
15th November 2008, 09:07 PM
Nice work GJ :2tsup:

I like the form and the lip, good proportions. Nice assertive shape to go with bold colouring. Look forward to seeing it in person.

Grumpy John
15th November 2008, 10:16 PM
Nice work GJ :2tsup:

I like the form and the lip, good proportions. Nice assertive shape to go with bold colouring. Look forward to seeing it in person.

Thank you very much Shannon, sounds like you were a professional reviewer in another life :D.

Robomanic
16th November 2008, 12:38 AM
:no:

Heheh, Nah just an engineer who writes reports sometimes when i'm too slow to get someone else to do it.

Just struck me that the form stood up for itself when a lot of people (me included) would have gone for something ultra simple and let the grain come through. I've learned something.

KUTGW.