PDA

View Full Version : cool work light

Chipman
12th November 2008, 09:59 PM
Are you looking for a flexible light to put on your lathe for when you are hollowing or working on a dull day (or night time)? I might have found the answer....

I was at Safeway (Lilydale) and saw a really great worklight....

Super bright LED's on a flexible gooseneck and a magnetic base. It takes three AAA Cells (batteries) (Maybe can be converted to a plug pack) and the good news... $19.95

I bought one, it is quite bright and the magnetic base easily holds onto the lathe bed.

Might be worth a look,

Cheers,

Chipman

DJ’s Timber
12th November 2008, 10:02 PM
Gotta Pic ?

Robomanic
12th November 2008, 10:58 PM
sweet just what i need - yep need pics so i know what i am shopping for on the wknd

TTIT
12th November 2008, 11:27 PM
I've been eyeing one off at Woolies that might be the same but I didn't want to outlay the cash without knowing how bright it really is :shrug: Does it have a rating of some kind Chipman??? Luminescence perhaps???

Chipman
13th November 2008, 12:22 AM
It has no rating, just 4.5 Volts and 6 superbright LED's but believe me it is quite bright...not comfortable to look directly at it...but is a little bluish as "white" LED's usually are.

Note one side acts as a clamp or you can use the two magnets at the bottom.

Cheers,
Chipman

TTIT
13th November 2008, 12:28 AM
Yep - that's the one. Might give it shot after all then. :2tsup:

orraloon
13th November 2008, 02:20 PM
That looks ok and I have a charger for the AA batteries too.
I have tried a few lights around the lathe so far but not yet found the perfect one.

orraloon
13th November 2008, 02:24 PM
Just looked at it again. AAA batteries. Bugger:doh:

robutacion
13th November 2008, 02:58 PM
Are you looking for a flexible light to put on your lathe for when you are hollowing or working on a dull day (or night time)? I might have found the answer....

I was at Safeway (Lilydale) and saw a really great worklight....

Super bright LED's on a flexible gooseneck and a magnetic base. It takes three AAA Cells (batteries) (Maybe can be converted to a plug pack) and the good news... $19.95

I bought one, it is quite bright and the magnetic base easily holds onto the lathe bed.

Might be worth a look,

Cheers,

Chipman

Hi Chipman,

Where can we get them from? Web link, store name, phone number?
I reckon I could do with a couple of them for the price!

Thanks
Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

DJ’s Timber
13th November 2008, 03:01 PM
Just picked up one from Safeway at Box Hill for $19.99 as well, so they must be at every store for that price.

For those that are interstate, Woolworths is known as Safeway here in Victoria

wheelinround
13th November 2008, 03:45 PM
I have seen then at Bunnies, Home Hardware, Mitre 10 store's the last 2 check bargian bins approx same price. The battery thing is what stopped me buying 2

Grumpy John
13th November 2008, 04:19 PM
Just picked up one from Safeway at Box Hill for $19.99 as well, so they must be at every store for that price.

Not every Safeway apparently, none at the Carrum Downs Safeway :(.

turnerted
13th November 2008, 05:05 PM
These lights are great for the price . I cut the little handle off and now I can easily put mine inside vases to see how my hollowing is going . I reckon I have had 3 or 4 hours running time and the light seems just as bright . Same price at Woollies at Burwood .

Ted

DJ’s Timber
13th November 2008, 07:26 PM
Not every Safeway apparently, none at the Carrum Downs Safeway :(.

Do you want me to pick one up for you GJ?

Grumpy John
13th November 2008, 07:29 PM

Thanks DJ, I'll have a look at Bunnies and if they don't have any I'll drop you a PM

Cheers
John

DJ’s Timber
13th November 2008, 07:31 PM
:2tsup:

rsser
13th November 2008, 09:33 PM
Good price for what it is.

That said, I'm not a fan of LED lights, after using an LED headlamp for overnight bushwalks with 3 AAAs that supposedly last 150 hours.

Maybe it's just the reflector but the headlamp casts a pretty uneven light and as noted earlier has an uneven colour cast. Not good for close looking at anything but good enough to confirm that the noise outside the tent is a possum having a go at the food in the backpak.

TTIT
13th November 2008, 11:25 PM
Good price for what it is.

That said, I'm not a fan of LED lights, after using an LED headlamp for overnight bushwalks with 3 AAAs that supposedly last 150 hours.

Maybe it's just the reflector but the headlamp casts a pretty uneven light and as noted earlier has an uneven colour cast. Not good for close looking at anything but good enough to confirm that the noise outside the tent is a possum having a go at the food in the backpak.So how long did they last Ern?????

rsser
14th November 2008, 07:14 AM
Haven't timed them!

But a long time - waaay better than normal globes.

robutacion
15th November 2008, 04:30 AM
Hi everyone,

I looked everywhere in this area including woolworths, and the only thing I've found was 2 types of goose neck led lamps at Bunnings. One was a black one, same battery system, long neck also and a small 2" diameter head/reflector with 6 led lights on it. The other was the one bellow in the pic, some manufacturer and style as the ones we are looking for, but this one has a detachable torch piece but with a small reflector diameter head of 30mm.
I got this last one for $19.95, while the other black one was $29.95.

I wouldn't mind to have at least one of the ones chipman got, so if anyone that can have access to them, I would be thankful if someone could get it and post it to me.
I'm even prepared, if that is the persons choice to provide the value of item and freight in turning timbers at their choice. Actually, if that person is ok with it, I would get 2 of those lights, saving in freight.
Anyone, please...!:D

Cheers
RBTCO

robutacion
17th November 2008, 03:29 AM
Hi everyone,

I looked everywhere in this area including woolworths, and the only thing I've found was 2 types of goose neck led lamps at Bunnings. One was a black one, same battery system, long neck also and a small 2" diameter head/reflector with 6 led lights on it. The other was the one bellow in the pic, some manufacturer and style as the ones we are looking for, but this one has a detachable torch piece but with a small reflector diameter head of 30mm.
I got this last one for $19.95, while the other black one was $29.95.

I wouldn't mind to have at least one of the ones chipman got, so if anyone that can have access to them, I would be thankful if someone could get it and post it to me.
I'm even prepared, if that is the persons choice to provide the value of item and freight in turning timbers at their choice. Actually, if that person is ok with it, I would get 2 of those lights, saving in freight.
Anyone, please...!:D

Cheers
RBTCO

What, no one is prepare to help me out with this one?
If the timber option is not wanted, as soon as I get the bank details of the person that will do this for me, the money transfer will be made immediately. Again I would Tale 2 lights to save on the freight. Or another thing is, is someone knows who got them, just pass their phone number to me and I will deal direct, no problems...!

RBTCO

Chipman
17th November 2008, 07:58 AM
What, no one is prepare to help me out with this one?
If the timber option is not wanted, as soon as I get the bank details of the person that will do this for me, the money transfer will be made immediately. Again I would Tale 2 lights to save on the freight. Or another thing is, is someone knows who got them, just pass their phone number to me and I will deal direct, no problems...!

RBTCO

PM sent

Cheers,
Chipman

Chipman
17th November 2008, 08:14 PM
If any more of you are interested in getting one of these LED lights, I noticed that the SAFEWAY in Lilydale (Stocklands or Market store) has put another box of them on the shelves this evening. (I haven't seen them at any other Safeway around here)

So if you live in the area, you should be able to get one there (While stocks last as they say)

No connection or interest in Safeway blah, blah blah etc

Cheers

Chipman

robutacion
18th November 2008, 02:25 AM
Thanks chipman, all is "rolling...!:D

RBTCO

Grumpy John
2nd December 2008, 07:04 PM

I think I'll take you up on the offer DJ, unable to locate one out my way. I'll fix you up at the Dec. turn-fest.

Gheers
GJ

DJ’s Timber
2nd December 2008, 07:06 PM
No worries :2tsup: I'll pick up one on the next trip into town

Grumpy John
2nd December 2008, 07:10 PM