PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes you just gotta make a stand.

badgaz
14th November 2008, 10:07 PM
Well here it is folks, my basic lathe and new rustic stand.
It's funny, when I add it all up, the stand cost more than the lathe cost me in the end.:U

I have my Father-in-Law (FIL) to thank for his assistance and over-engineering.
This thing took the two of us to lift, all the joints are rebated and we settled on a mix of long 5/16" coach screws and coach bolts to fasten the whole thing together. The FIL talked me out of the through-hole design saying "do you wanna turn wood tomorrow, or do you still wanna be building this bl**dy bench?" I took his advice..he's been a mechanical engineer for 40 years... who am I to argue?:;

I had planned to dress the lumber before construction and apply a durable finish, but with my FIL's voice still ringing in my ears I ran a sander over it to take out some of the rough edges and left it at that. I kinda like the utilitarian, farm-shed look of it as is. By the time I can afford a quality lathe, all the splinters and bad language it took to throw this thing together will be a fond memory.

The bench is firmly bolted to the floor and has proven steady as a rock for the small stock I'm learning on. I still have the option of adding A frame supports to the structure if it proves less firm on the bigger stuff.

I haven't given thought to a finish, maybe a few coats of linseed oil and turps will be the most appropriate.

Anyway this is just post to say thanks to all the chaps who offered advice and encouragement.

All the best

Gazza

orificiam
14th November 2008, 10:29 PM
Hi Gazza. Nice stand and strong enough for the lathe.Happy turning.cheers Tony.:2tsup:

Manuka Jock
14th November 2008, 10:38 PM
Thats a fine solid looking stand Gazz :2tsup: bit too clean tho :D

tea lady
14th November 2008, 10:43 PM
Once its surrounded with curlies you won't see the stand anymore.:D Looking good. Just too clean like da man said.:cool:

dai sensei
14th November 2008, 11:21 PM
...the stand cost more than the lathe cost me in the end

It will probably last longer by the look of it too :D

Ed Reiss
15th November 2008, 12:46 AM
Yep, your hooked Gaz!! Next will be a bigger shed, then a bigger lathe, then a couple of chain saws, all the latest toys (whoops...meant to say turning tools!), the wife starts divorce proceedings 'cause your in the shed all the time, etc, etc!!!!:doh::o

BTW, nice stand.:2tsup:

Ad de Crom
15th November 2008, 08:51 AM
Gazza, that's a very sturdy stand, with a good working height.
So now at work huh, come on let the chips fly.
Ad :2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
15th November 2008, 09:01 AM
Great stand :2tsup:
Specially like the depth of the cross piece under the bed - great spot to hang extra rests, mallet and other vital stuff where it can be got easily :2tsup::2tsup:
That's the trouble with cast iron stands - can't drive a nail in to hang something off :no:

oldiephred
15th November 2008, 09:53 AM
That stand looks like good turning material??:B

badgaz
15th November 2008, 07:55 PM
Thanks for your feedback.

oldiephred:
The pics certainly are deceptive, I had another look and yes the timber looks to be highly figured... sadly it's not:(.
Don't let the photography fool you, what looks like fiddleback/flame is actually the rough sawn grey timber with the tops of the ridges sanded off... if only I could get a bit of maple with figuring in it like that!:; I remember going on a tour of the Fender guitar custom shop in Carona California a few years back. If you're wondering where all the flame, curly and birdseye maple is ..they have it and they weren't keen on giving any of it away.
dai sensei:
The stand will definitely outlast the lathe .. I'm already looking for an upgrade. Bank account says no:(, I say yes. Roll on christmas!
Ed:
I'm a big, big fan of not watching television. I've been a shed guy for many, many years. Unfortunately, my shed can still fit 2 family cars in it. I have way too much space and not near enough machinery!

I turned a pen and did a little practice with the skew today. I have left it covered in sawdust out of ceremony.Tea lady, Manuka, you're right it looks much better.:2tsup:

Cheers guys.

Gazza

new_guy90
15th November 2008, 10:18 PM
nice stand i just got a cheap lathe like that (mines probably older and less sturdy) anyway i just got a HUGE bench from life line to put it on time will tell if that was i good idea. yours is just great cool if it out lasts the lathe it was made for :2tsup: