PDA

View Full Version : Banksia Grandis Nut ??

darley
19th April 2004, 02:00 PM
Good Afternoon everyone

We did have today one of our club member with a Banksia Grandis nut from WA ( that what he say ). He want to make an perfume atomizer, my question is, it's true that those Banksia Grandis nut come from WA or we can find them anywhere in Australia ? , Anyone know a supplier where to get them ? any particular precaution to turn them ?

Thank you

Cheer

Darley

ozwinner
19th April 2004, 05:42 PM
Make sure you have long chisels when you turn them, they are full of shrapnel, and it flys all over the place.
You need a handle about 10' long.

Al

darley
19th April 2004, 06:20 PM
Thank you for the tip AL, yes all my chisels handle are 10' long and I been talking with some people about it and I did have talk about those shrapnel as well as those litle tiny hair who they are not to good for our lungs, so safety first , shiel face and dust mask a must, but tell me where can I find them , any suppliers you know ?

Cheer

Darley

ozwinner
19th April 2004, 06:28 PM
I got mine many years ago, from a dead woodworker, well not him, his wife.
Most of the WW shows have them, and the WW show season is comeing up.

Al

darley
19th April 2004, 07:25 PM
Thank you AL, I will have to check when is the next WW in Brisi.

Cheer

Darley

ptc
20th April 2004, 10:43 AM
Wood turning supply people at yatala on the right going out of Brisbane. sorry not sure of there name
i finsh mine with shellac.
hope this helps.
if you are picking your own from a bin full go for the heavy ones.!

cbenpora
20th April 2004, 11:10 PM
If you are lucky enough to live in the West, when you go collecting them, don't get them off the ground, the white ants love them, pick them off the tree.

Cheers,
Colin

darley
21st April 2004, 12:26 PM
PTC

Thank you for the tip ( heavy one. Will do ). I use shellac as well for my pens, did you turn some Banksia nuts ? any comments from your experience will be welcome . Thank you

CBENPORA

Well !! ... luky you to live in WA you got more chance to get some of them than me here in QLD, however I din't look if they grow here, maybe .... I will let you know. You should go to picnic in the bush over the week end and if you find some let me know I will buy them from you ....... ( gooooshh........ I setup a new business for you ::)) :D :D

Thank you both of you

Cheer

Darley

ptc
21st April 2004, 06:50 PM
Darley.
just turned three today, i don't think they grow in queensland
the last i heard it was illegal to pick them, any one caught with out a licence was fined and lose there vehicle as well, i could be wrong.
i moved from queensland to Tasmania i have to make do with huon pine.
wonder what the biggest one that has been found [lenght and diameter.]
will try o take a pic and post it in forum.
ptc

ozwinner
21st April 2004, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by ptc

You poor bugger.:rolleyes:

Al

RETIRED
21st April 2004, 07:51 PM
How does a 3 year old reach the lathe?

kenmil
21st April 2004, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by ozwinner
Make sure you have long chisels when you turn them, they are full of shrapnel, and it flys all over the place.
You need a handle about 10' long.

Al

Ten FEET long!!! Jesus, you must be in the next room !

fxst
21st April 2004, 09:20 PM
'How does a 3 year old reach the lathe?'
with difficulty I reckon:D

GeoffW
21st April 2004, 10:08 PM
Yep, ten feet tools - that's some serious nut turning they're into in over East!!!:D

darley
22nd April 2004, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by
How does a 3 year old reach the lathe?

Well .......!! here in QLD we teacher our young 3 yo children to go beach fishing fisrt, then when they use to the long heavy fishing rod we put them to the 10' feet tools to do turning " easy mates " because our children are full of banana......... !! Hooooppss I mean full of beans :D :D :D :D

Hope this answer to the question :)

Cheer

Darley:p

darley
22nd April 2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by ptc
Darley.
just turned three today, i don't think they grow in queensland
the last i heard it was illegal to pick them, any one caught with out a licence was fined and lose there vehicle as well, i could be wrong.
wonder what the biggest one that has been found [lenght and diameter.]
will try o take a pic and post it in forum.
ptc

Thank you ptc, I wait for your pic (s)

Cheer

Darley

ptc
22nd April 2004, 10:08 PM
Darley.
posted pic on woodwork pics. camera is el cheepo will have to practice. the lids are huon.
ptc

darley
27th April 2004, 02:07 PM
Thank you p.t.c I find a supplier in vic and order 2 nuts, will tell you about when I recieved them .

Cheer

Darley