PDA

View Full Version : Long hole boring?

RETIRED
20th November 2008, 07:52 AM
Every now and again a job comes along that proves a little bit of a challenge.

This was one such job: To bore a 95mm hole 500mm deep into the end of a 3.5 metre 200x200 Red gum post.

We have bored posts before but nothing on this scale. After all the lathe can be used as a horizontal drill press.

We use "trolleys" that are built to run along the bed of the lathe for various things occasionally so that was no problem. You will notice that they have "lugs" that go under the ways. These are to stop the timber (which is strapped to the lead trolley) from being thrown off the lathe with the trolley should the drill catch.

Better to have the motor stall than have a rampant 200Kg post storming through the workshop.

The next problem was getting a drill "extension" 500mm long strong enough to do the job. As we were drilling 95mm holes it was decided to use 50mm steel, so a trip to our local engineers that are used to my strange job requests. We added a 1" stub morse taper to locate the extension in the headstock and a draw bar to make sure it did not come out.

Retrieving a drill bit in a deep hole is no fun. DAMHIK.:wink:

That part all worked well, now to see if it actually worked drilling a hole.

We fitted the 95mm drill bit. You will notice that our "forstners" are not your average bits. They are Tungsten tipped and we have them made.

It didn't work because the flex on the extension, the end not being square on the timber and being such a big drill bit it wandered all over the place.

Back to the drawing board.

Take 2: Remove extension and fit a normal drill chuck in morse taper. Fit 95mm drll and try again. Better but too much load on motor. It is 1HP. Cup of tea and a rethink again. Fit smaller 75mm drill and try that.

AHHH, such sweet success.

Drill to depth of headstock. 240mm. Remove 75mm and fit 95mm drill.

Perfect and now we have a pilot hole 240mm deep to guide the bit fitted on the extension.

Remove drill chuck and fit extension. Drill 75mm, withdraw, fit 95mm and drill to required depth.

Job done, only 7 more to go.

The tailsock was used to push the timber into the bit and the trolleys held the timber at the correct position. Air was used to clear the waste.

fxst
20th November 2008, 08:12 AM
you sure know how to bring the oddities out of the woodwork. :D
Thanks forthe wip....makes our stuff lookvery mundane :2tsup:
Pete

Calm
20th November 2008, 08:15 AM
Where do you get the kits for S&P grinders that size??:D

Why 7 four salt one pepper??

Well done - logical thinking wins again.

Cheers

Grumpy John
20th November 2008, 08:46 AM
Better to have the motor stall than have a rampant 200Kg post storming through the workshop.

I dunno, maybe we could add caber toss to the frisbee throw challenge at DJ's turnfest :D.
Brilliant thinking , the best ideas arise when you're under the pump. BTW I've been trying to work out what DAMHIK means and it's got me stumped :?.

DJ’s Timber
20th November 2008, 08:57 AM
Only 50cm deep :yeahright:

Good stuff :2tsup:

DJ’s Timber
20th November 2008, 08:58 AM
Don't Ask Me How I Know :;

Grumpy John
20th November 2008, 12:10 PM
Don't Ask Me How I Know :;

Bleedin' obvious now, innit :doh:. Thanks DJ.

rsser
20th November 2008, 02:49 PM
Jeez , with your lats and pecs I would've thought a pilot hole and then a square scraper driven straight in would be a doddle ;-}

Edit: just to add, musical instrument makers use a D bit for this kind of drilling, though not on this scale. Length is prob close to a double bass clarinet. Bore? Prob no one could blow through it, cept maybe RBTCO.

robutacion
20th November 2008, 03:25 PM
I hope, you never going to be asked to make tooth-pics, !:doh:

Getting those large timbers on to the lathe, even with the use of your hoists, shouldn't be easy. What do you use to make small adjustments? a crow-bar?

Getting dry red gum that size and that long without any major cracks and curves, isn't easy, I don't even dare to guess the price of each piece.:oo:

You should do this more often , (WIP pics), it would make most of us appreciate the size of the timbers we normally handle!. OK, OK, I know... some of us handle some big(ish) logs...!:D

Nicely engineered!

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

robutacion
20th November 2008, 03:41 PM
Jeez , with your lats and pecs I would've thought a pilot hole and then a square scraper driven straight in would be a doddle ;-}

Edit: just to add, musical instrument makers use a D bit for this kind of drilling, though not on this scale. Length is prob close to a double bass clarinet. Bore? Prob no one could blow through it, cept maybe RBTCO.

Excuse me, Mr. rsser...:o
You can't blame a man for being versatile..., huh?:wink:
I don't turn my back to a challenge, often (well, a little bit less, in our days)!, so from which end would you like me to try?
No, no, not the double bass clarinet...! my end...!:o:D :roflmao:

RBTCO

rsser
20th November 2008, 03:50 PM
LOL.

You're up to it RBTCO!

Big breath ...

robutacion
20th November 2008, 04:06 PM
Ok then...!

On the count of 3,
1....................... 2...................... :fireworks:....................... :fart2: :whatonearth: :ohcrap:

RBTCO

new_guy90
20th November 2008, 07:14 PM
wow thats cool

is that a home made lathe?

Jim Carroll
20th November 2008, 07:18 PM
wow thats cool

is that a home made lathe?

Have a look here http://www.ubeaut.com.au/woodstuf.htm

Tim the Timber Turner
20th November 2008, 07:37 PM

I see you took the easy way out on this job.

For a real challenge you could have put the drill in the tailstock and spun the post.

Personally I have never been game to try this.

However if you are, I would love to know what happens if it all goes wrong.
:C:C:C

Cheers

Tim

dai sensei
20th November 2008, 08:32 PM
What a beast :oo::2tsup:

Hate to retrieve the bit if it does catch/jam :no:

Robomanic
20th November 2008, 08:43 PM
Nice engineering.

Must be a pain to clear the lathe off to do a long job like that :C

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th November 2008, 09:09 PM

Hate to retrieve the bit if it does catch/jam :no:

Nar, It's 's lathe. The bark is worse than it's bit. :innocent:

RETIRED
20th November 2008, 11:56 PM

I see you took the easy way out on this job.

For a real challenge you could have put the drill in the tailstock and spun the post.

Personally I have never been game to try this.

However if you are, I would love to know what happens if it all goes wrong.
:C:C:C

Cheers

TimCan't wind in the tailstock fast enough.:rolleyes:

RETIRED
21st November 2008, 12:01 AM

Hate to retrieve the bit if it does catch/jam :no:Didn't happen on this job. HOWEVER, on a previous job:roll::~ Lets just say that the post was a couple of mil shorter after we extracted the bit with a chainsaw.:doh:

RETIRED
21st November 2008, 12:02 AM
Nice engineering.

Must be a pain to clear the lathe off to do a long job like that :CIt is, on both counts.:D

RETIRED
21st November 2008, 12:04 AM
Originally, I had this idea, but thought the bit might spin me or break my arm.:rolleyes::D

RETIRED
21st November 2008, 12:04 AM
Nar, It's 's lathe. The bark is worse than it's bit. :innocent::wink::D

Ed Reiss
21st November 2008, 05:19 AM
... one of the questions I usually got about my turnings at shows from people was "How did you do that?" Most of the time the answer was "trained termites"!
Next time you get a long hole boring job, you might just want to train a bunch of them little buggers to do that!:U LOL

Good work-up on coming up with the solution to the problem....now go have a couple of cold ones!:2tsup:

rsser
21st November 2008, 09:31 AM
Just drilling a pepper grinder on a MT extension brings me out in a sweat ... the extension flexes, on hardwoods it's not hard to smoke the timber, the bit spins in the socket (yep, need to grind a flat on it).

Cliff Rogers
21st November 2008, 09:35 AM
...musical instrument makers use a D bit for this kind of drilling,.....

... one of the questions I usually got about my turnings at shows from people was "How did you do that?" Most of the time the answer was "trained termites"!
Next time you get a long hole boring job, you might just want to train a bunch of them little buggers to do that! .....

Australian Indigenous didge makers use termites but you can't rush the job. :D

hughie
21st November 2008, 10:38 AM
Originally, I had this idea, but thought the bit might spin me or break my arm.:rolleyes::D

:U that would be interesting.... a bit emotional towards the end perhaps.....:U

proves one thing - necessity is the mother of invention. well done :2tsup:

Ed Reiss
21st November 2008, 12:56 PM
Australian Indigenous didge makers use termites but you can't rush the job. :D

Australian Indigenous didge makers :?:?:?

DJ’s Timber
21st November 2008, 01:07 PM
Just drilling a pepper grinder on a MT extension brings me out in a sweat ... the extension flexes, on hardwoods it's not hard to smoke the timber, the bit spins in the socket (yep, need to grind a flat on it).

I heard of this a few times now, bits spinning, are you using a proper grub screw?

I can honestly say the I've never had one spin on me or even look like spinning on me even with blunt bits in Blackwood, Jarrah and Redgum, but then again it might have something to do with the fact that my extension is a homemade one and the hole is very close tolerance, it does pop when changing bits and the use of a proper grub screw.

Cliff Rogers
21st November 2008, 01:20 PM
Australian Indigenous didge makers :?:?:?

http://www.didgeman.com.au/pages/default.cfm?page_id=24682

:D (http://www.didgeman.com.au/pages/default.cfm?page_id=24402)

rsser
21st November 2008, 01:27 PM
Yeah, DJ ... actually there are 2 grub screws, and actually again, on reflection, it only moves with larger bits like 2".

And learning how to sharpen saw-tooth bits has been a bit of a journey. Eg. only just learned that the flutes should be lower than the teeth. This might reduce the flexing on the extension. Dunno.

Ed Reiss
21st November 2008, 01:33 PM
http://www.didgeman.com.au/pages/default.cfm?page_id=24682

:D (http://www.didgeman.com.au/pages/default.cfm?page_id=24402)
Thanks Cliff!
Continually amazed at the stuff I've learned from you guys in the last few months about Oz:2tsup:

rsser
21st November 2008, 01:43 PM
Time to go out and make a Didge Ed ;-}

's shown you how. Failing well-trained termites that is.

Manuka Jock
21st November 2008, 04:59 PM
Yeah, DJ ... actually there are 2 grub screws, and actually again, on reflection, it only moves with larger bits like 2".

And learning how to sharpen saw-tooth bits has been a bit of a journey. Eg.only just learned that the flutes should be lower than the teeth . This might reduce the flexing on the extension. Dunno.

Same as on a chainsaw is it ? depth gauge/cleaner a couple of mil lower that the cutter .

DJ’s Timber
21st November 2008, 05:06 PM
Same as on a chainsaw is it ? depth gauge/cleaner a couple of mil lower that the cutter .

Raker :;

rsser
21st November 2008, 05:14 PM
Mind's spinning :(

You'd know about saw-tooth bits Jock, what the yanks persist in calling Forstner bits?

Two parts cut: the, er, peaks on the rim that look like saw teeth, and the flat 'blades' running from rim to near centre? So it's those two that apparently need to be lower than the teeth.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
21st November 2008, 06:09 PM
Two parts cut: the, er, peaks on the rim that look like saw teeth, and the flat 'blades' running from rim to near centre? So it's those two that apparently need to be lower than the teeth.

Same as a spade bit, you mean? The points scribing the line and the "blades" peeling out the fibres?

I'd have thought that was obvious, Ern. :D

Manuka Jock
21st November 2008, 06:19 PM
Raker :;
yeah , thats the buggas , I've heard 'em called dog teeth too.

Manuka Jock
21st November 2008, 06:25 PM
Mind's spinning :(

You'd know about saw-tooth bits Jock, what the yanks persist in calling Forstner bits?

Yep , I gotcha , gotta be , otherwise the bit skids all around the place , eh .

rsser
21st November 2008, 07:19 PM
Being an artsy fartsy type I never got much teknuckle eddykashun, so bear with me :p

new_guy90
21st November 2008, 09:24 PM
rsser: i think what you guys are talking about is called "rake" or think of it as clearance, an angled back grind from the start of the cutting edge at the flute. the reason for this is that if it was flat it would simply rub and would cut like its in reverse that is it wouldn't cut at all! also if you ground it round instead of in the cam motion then the little square flat right at the point of the D-bit would become a sharp point, there are angles and stuff the "rake" is meant to be but that doesnt matter right now .....yeah im sure you guys all know this right

: THAT IS SO COOL WOW I WOULD BE PROUD TO SWEEP UP YOUR CHIPS WHILE YOU WORK! :2tsup: thats so amazing hey you ever just get the urge to put something smaller and making some pool cues? hell after that make the legs for the table!

thanks for giving me the link Jim

Edit: oh Rsser your talking about THOSE bits, i don't know the name for them but i know what you mean ......yeah i haven't used one but i have seen some people doing questionable work with them ........smoking, setting the chips on fire.......... they should follow the same principle of cutting that all other D-bits use sorry about any confusion

rsser
21st November 2008, 09:56 PM
No worries.

Yeah, I understand about the flute edge needing rake.

Calm
21st November 2008, 11:16 PM

: THAT IS SO COOL WOW I WOULD BE PROUD TO SWEEP UP YOUR CHIPS WHILE YOU WORK! :2tsup: thats so amazing hey you ever just get the urge to put something smaller and making some pool cues? hell after that make the legs for the table!

thanks for giving me the link Jim

WHAT fancy someone bothering to get back on topic.. i thought this thread was hijacked for good - SHAME SHAME SHAME:D:D:D

Manuka Jock
21st November 2008, 11:22 PM
WHAT fancy someone bothering to get back on topic.. i thought this thread was hijacked for good - SHAME SHAME SHAME:D:D:D

I have just been watching a tv action show about a plane hijack . I'd seen it before , but it was still good the second time around .

RETIRED
22nd November 2008, 12:37 AM
: THAT IS SO COOL WOW I WOULD BE PROUD TO SWEEP UP YOUR CHIPS WHILE YOU WORK! :2tsup: thats so amazing hey you ever just get the urge to put something smaller and making some pool cues? hell after that make the legs for the table!I have turned a minature goblet on it and we used to supply "grass bars" to a farming supply company that are similar to cues.

Ed Reiss
22nd November 2008, 01:33 PM
Time to go out and make a Didge Ed ;-}

's shown you how. Failing well-trained termites that is.

Right 'Ern, but where am I going to get Australian termites for that Australian didge here in Jersey??:no::C

new_guy90
22nd November 2008, 07:49 PM
um if you guys dont have termites then dont try to get them! lol can be very bad