PDA

View Full Version : Sturdee Mini Handscrew Clamps.

Sturdee
20th April 2004, 08:36 PM
Following on from making the Sturdee Handscrew Clamps I made some mini clamps to fill a long standing need to have some lightweight clamps (for glueing decorative mouldings etc.) which I could use without marking the work or needing six hands to hold the moulding, metal clamps and wooden blocks.

They are of a similar design as the handscrews, but smaller, and only uses only one screw handle. In use the opening is preset prior to clamping by adjusting on the rear bolt a wingnut to the thickness required and then holding the clamp handle in one hand spin the clamp with the other hand until the correct size is reached. Slide over the work to be clamped and tighten with the handle.

The clamps have a jaw length of 200 mm of 35*22mm with a clamping length of 100mm and a jaw opening of 80mm and are made of some hardwood flooring offcuts. The handles are again made of pine being 100mm of 25*25mm pine rounded over with the router.

The first photo shows the items needed for one clamp, being 4 blanks to make the jaws, a handle, a 225mm length of 5/16 threaded rod, a 6 inch threaded bolt (if not available adapt more threaded rod), a small nail, a T-nut, 4 washers (one of them an extra large one), a Nyloc nut, 5 ordinary nuts and two rubber tips.

Peter

Sturdee
20th April 2004, 08:37 PM
This shows the lay out of materials indicating the position of nuts etc.

Peter.

Sturdee
20th April 2004, 08:38 PM
This shows the fixed bolt attached to fixed jaw and the T-nut to the moveable jaw before the four parts are glued together to form the two jaws.

Peter.

Sturdee
20th April 2004, 08:39 PM
The handle is again fixed onto the rod, which is inserted 50mm into the handle, with Araldite epoxy glue and secured with a small nail through the timber and the rod. The picture shows the handle fixed to the fixed jaw with washers and Nyloc nut and the movable jaw has the T-nut fixed on one part so that it is inside after glueing together. Note the tool used for screwing on the Nyloc nut.

Peter.

Sturdee
20th April 2004, 08:40 PM
This shows the clamp nearly completed it only needs the nuts to be tightened against each other and the soft rubber tips pushed on.

Peter.

Sturdee
20th April 2004, 08:41 PM
This photo shows the batch of ten clamps I made. I also made two of a different size (see front of photo) for use in my bench vice.

Peter.

Sturdee
20th April 2004, 08:43 PM
This photo shows the vice clamps in use to hold a piece of timber securely in the vice above the bench. This will be useful for sanding, drilling or routing with certain pieces of timber without marking my good bench. :) :)

Dare I say it but they might also be useful for those who hand plane small pieces. :D :D

Peter.

forge
21st April 2004, 11:55 AM
Peter , thank for the detailed info on the clamps.
i'm shure to make a lot of them.
Bela