PDA

View Full Version : Help needed - using the lathe for toys

jefferson
21st November 2008, 05:07 PM
I'm off to show LiliB my two min lathes on Sunday in Deniliqiun, NSW, plus a full size Woodfast lathe at my brother's place. Lili's hubby is hoping to use a lathe to presumably make wheels etc for toys.

I spent a little time this arvo turning some wheels on my big lathe, using a VM100 chuck with a screw. Worked OK, a little tear-out on end grain.

But it got me thinking - am I doing it right? What are the options? I certainly don't want to be giving Lili the wrong intell.

I'm thinking that there are a few between centre options, though a chuck would seem essential. Chimnet stacks for trains, lights etc.

Any thoughts on the wish list for Lili? That would include not only the lathe, but tools and accessories. I'm really only geared up for spindles, boxes and bowls and have no idea what it takes to turn little stuff.

Jeff

Manuka Jock
21st November 2008, 07:08 PM
I turned some truck wheels a few years ago .
I cut them out of inch timber with a hole saw , and then strung them on a rod that was a tight fit to the centerhole ,and stuck the rod in a block either end , and set it up on the lathe as a spindle .
Turned a tire and tread on each wheel , and the wheel rim on the tailstock one , rotated them on the rod till all had a wheel rim on the outside and sent them off to the painters :2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
21st November 2008, 07:33 PM
I turned some truck wheels a few years ago .
I cut them out of inch timber with a hole saw , and then strung them on a rod that was a tight fit to the centerhole ,and stuck the rod in a block either end , and set it up on the lathe as a spindle .
Turned a tire and tread on each wheel , and the wheel rim on the tailstock one , rotated them on the rod till all had a wheel rim on the outside and sent them off to the painters :2tsup:

I do almost exactly the same thing with a pen mandrel. I use pen tubes as bushes on each side, allowing me free access to both sides of the wheel.

It's really best suited for wheels of small(ish) diameter though, as too much pressure on the tyre area (a jam, dig-in, or whatever) could stuff up the mandrel - it's only thin, after all.

new_guy90
21st November 2008, 09:13 PM
you know i was just thinking about this before to make a model car wheel to cast in resin for a model i want to make thought i would use a screw chuck and would need a router for the tread of course i would only need to make half a wheel