PDA

View Full Version : Psychedelic Blackwood ??

rsser
23rd November 2008, 04:46 PM
Truing up a roughed out bowl with some striking fiddleback; the surface was coated in end-grain sealer and was pretty rough ... so under a tungsten spot with fluoro overhead the damn thing was strobing acid colours.

Had me wondering about whether I'd eaten the wrong kind of mushies the night before :o

Anyone else had this happen?

bowl-basher
23rd November 2008, 06:05 PM
picks please:D:D:D

nalmo
23rd November 2008, 07:03 PM
Not for about 30 years, but I have some blackwood logs waiting to be processed, so I'll get back to you.

steck
23rd November 2008, 07:04 PM
Yes I have had a couple of pieces strobing green or purple - it's a bit distracting at first.
It's only happened since I put the Tungsten spot lamp on the lathe.

Calm
23rd November 2008, 07:55 PM
Yes I have had a couple of pieces strobing green or purple - it's a bit distracting at first.
It's only happened since I put the Tungsten spot lamp on the lathe.

Now Steck what did you have to say that for - we could have got more mileage out of this tread if everyone said no and we convinced Ern he was going TROPPO - part of plan to get hands on secondhand stubby :D:D

AAAAAAAAAAH well another chance gone.:doh::doh:

Cheers

joe greiner
24th November 2008, 02:09 AM
Have you Googled [chatoyance] lately? The effect you describe sounds similar to a shimmering or moire phenomenon. Very common in fiddleback especially, according to my very incomplete understanding.

Or, could be just a dietary indiscretion, of course.:D

Joe

Ed Reiss
24th November 2008, 04:33 AM
Had me wondering about whether I'd eaten the wrong kind of mushies the night before :o

Anyone else had this happen?

Yep....at Woodstock:;:U

Grumpy John
24th November 2008, 06:14 AM
Yep....at Woodstock:;:U

If you remember Woodstock, you weren't really there :D:rolleyes:.

rsser
24th November 2008, 06:53 AM
I remember Woodstock and I certainly wasn't there!

Joe, yes, B/wood is noted for chatoyance ... when at rest. This experience shows I think that this can mean the separation of light frequencies when spinning with the right light.

Texian
24th November 2008, 12:19 PM
Ern,
Got variable speed? Might get interesting "visions" at various different rpm. Maybe check the accuracy of spindle rpm readout against household current (50 hz there? vs 60hz here).

rsser
24th November 2008, 12:41 PM
Good point.

Pity the dig readout is buried in the bowels of the stand.

I could claim to be a visionary turner ;-}

Ed Reiss
24th November 2008, 01:27 PM
If you remember Woodstock, you weren't really there :D:rolleyes:.

Thought I was there...now I'm not so sure!:doh: ....need to ask the LOML, she would know!:U

.......................yep, Anna says I was there:smoke1:

hughie
24th November 2008, 01:37 PM
If you remember Woodstock, you weren't really there ]

no comment

woodwork wally
25th November 2008, 10:09 PM
Gidday Ern Gotta go along with texian to a large extent . wasin optical dispensing for years and its not uncommon but is disconcerting Try a pair of polarised clipon sunnies over the ordinary specs .also change lathe speed slightly for possible improvements .also a position change with the tungsten lamp could help . or just have a port and turn the bugger on and enjoy you own polar lights display yep I got to woodstock but cant remember anything else Cheers for now Wally