PDA

View Full Version : Cocobolo lidded bowl

ken6991
23rd November 2008, 05:13 PM
Been turning to many pens so I decided it was time I started turning some bowls. Never have turned bowls until recently.
This is the second one i have ever done. Made of cocobolo with a curly maple lid and African Blackwood finial.

artme
23rd November 2008, 07:45 PM
Nice colour combinations. Looks well finished afaict.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Just a couple of points: I think a more delicate finial and aless Chubby bowl woul improve aesthetics. Just an opinion.
Keep turning!

pugwash
23rd November 2008, 07:48 PM
Love the colour contrast and the bowl shape.
The finial could be a better shape, it looks like it came from a chess set. ):
Well done.

orificiam
23rd November 2008, 07:53 PM
Welldone Ken nice bowl, love the figure in the Cocobolo wood.
Cheers Tony.:)

Ad de Crom
23rd November 2008, 10:36 PM
Ken, your bowl is looking pretty good, in compare with the lid and the finial.
The finial overpowered to much, a more delicate finial is needed, also I see irregularity's on the lid.
With another lid and a more delicate finial it's a winner !!!
Ad :2tsup:

Ed Reiss
24th November 2008, 04:38 AM
Hi Ken... agree with what the others said about the finial, just a bit too large. Otherwise it looks very good, especially for a second effort:2tsup: ...what are the dimensions?

ken6991
25th November 2008, 01:09 PM
The bowl only measures about 4 1/2 inches diameter and 2 inches high. When I got done with the lid I too thought I turned a chess piece.

hughie
25th November 2008, 01:45 PM
T
he bowl only measures about 4 1/2 inches diameter and 2 inches high. When I got done with the lid I too thought I turned a chess piece.[/quote]

Looks good for a second piece. I was not game to show the second effort. :U Love cocobolo dont see much of it down under...sigh

Rum Pig
25th November 2008, 02:11 PM
Looks good for your second ever:2tsup::2tsup:

I like the cocobolo nice timber. Is there a chip in the bowl rim or is it a optical allusion.

either way nice effort.

Texian
25th November 2008, 02:41 PM
Ken,
Did you want comments/critiques?

Manuka Jock
25th November 2008, 04:20 PM
The bowl only measures about 4 1/2 inches diameter and 2 inches high. When I got done with the lid I too thought I turned a chess piece.

A chess player may have liked it like that :p ,

joe greiner
26th November 2008, 01:16 AM
I'd call it excellent for a second bowl, ever.:2tsup:

The foot could be smaller, the step on the lid detracts from it, and the finial could be more delicate, but what's wrong with chess pieces?:D

Joe