PDA

View Full Version : QLD Maple Rough turned wet.

Cliff Rogers
24th November 2008, 04:29 PM
This is from the top end of a log that was cut a couple of weeks ago.
I cut it up into blanks the weekend before last & sealed it.

I got a chance to rough it out last Saturday.
8 shallow bowls & there is still one big blank buried in the shaving on the floor of the shed.

You can see the beautiful grain even though it is still only rough cut.

wheelinround
24th November 2008, 04:37 PM
Cliff now thats a far bit of turning you have been up to
I like the low bowl's they look good and plenty of colour:2tsup::2tsup:

Cliff Rogers
24th November 2008, 04:45 PM
Dead easy to turn while wet, I spent more time hacking up the log into blanks, sealing it & stacking/restacking it than I did turning it.

I have 4 good 5/8" SuperFlute bowl gouges & I could have done the lot with 5 without stopping to resharpen.

While it is wet it just peels off in great big long streamers, lots of fun. :D

The lathe is up to it's knees in garden mulch now.

rsser
24th November 2008, 04:52 PM
Yeah, streamers off the lathe; v. satisfying.

Some lovely figure there Cliff.

(I still have a few of Chris Buhle's (sp?) blanks in the bank; your work has reignited interest in them).

Cliff Rogers
24th November 2008, 08:43 PM
...(I still have a few of Chris Buhle's (sp?) blanks in the bank; your work has reignited interest in them).
Go for it, rough it out & let it stand for a while 'cos I have found the some stuff that I had for years still moved after I had turned it.

Ed Reiss
25th November 2008, 12:41 AM
Nice work there, Cliff!:2tsup:

What are you finishing with?

robutacion
25th November 2008, 02:10 AM
Hi Cliff,

That looks pretty much a good batch of bowls. You are like me, on lets turn, until the bunch of blanks are all gone...!:D

My real turning time is summer, while winter is timber gathering, and this one (summer), is going to be interesting, I've got 2 pallets of mostly half logs, some already rounded, of timbers I have been selecting for this years turning ( half or more green, and everything in between up to dry as a rock. These pallets are the large type ones and are about 1.5 meters tall, placed "strategically":wink:, in front of the turning shed door, (under cover) obviously!:U.

These new tools of mine, mainly the 15 & 17 mm TCT inserts, are going to have some work out, I'm telling you. Some of those timbers on those pallets, are like rock.
I have to stock on stabiliser and sanding sealer, quick smart, I will be looking for 20 Lt drums if available.

Pics will come...!:doh::;

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

Keoni
25th November 2008, 05:53 AM
:rolleyes: I'm still learning the ropes in turning. Had a question on your process. I notice there is a tenon in the center of the bowl side of the vessel. Why is that ? Do you use that to finish the bottom and remove it later? Please elaborate .:;

rsser
25th November 2008, 06:05 AM
Go for it, rough it out & let it stand for a while 'cos I have found the some stuff that I had for years still moved after I had turned it.

Thanks for the tip Cliff.

Though these were dry from Chris.

FWIW I now wax seal the end grain even on dry blanks to reduce the effects of humidity and temp changes.

Rum Pig
25th November 2008, 09:02 AM
looks like you have been a bust boy. SWMBO would never let me spend that much time in the shed:((

Cliff Rogers
25th November 2008, 09:26 AM
They are just rough turned 'cos they are soaking wet.

The tree was cut down about 3 weeks ago.

I cut them into blanks about 2 weeks after it was cut down, sealed them & stacked them in my shaed.

I noticed that one started to crack 'cos it hadn't been sealed soon enough so I bought the whole lot back out of storage & stacked them at the foot of my lathe & just went flat out roughing them.

I have put some wax sealer on 2 or 3 of them that I'm a bit worried about but now they will go back into storage again for a while.

When the are dry enough to finsh, I will remount them, bottom out first by either gripping the tenon inside or, if it has gone too far out of round, I'll use my big Vicmarc 485 mm bowl jaws. (http://www.vicmarc.com/default.asp?contentID=591)
I'll clean up the foot & the bottom ready to finish & then reverse it onto the cleaned up foot & finish the top.

I'll probley use DO (Danish Oil) on them as it really brings out the dept in the patterns in the grain in Qld Maple.

Cliff Rogers
25th November 2008, 09:29 AM
..... SWMBO would never let me spend that much time in the shed:((

I had to do it or several would have cracked & been made useless.
The roughing process didn't really take very long at all, as I said before, I think I spent more time preparing the blanks, sealing them, stacking & then restacking them that I did actually turning them.

TTIT
25th November 2008, 02:42 PM
............as I said before, I think I spent more time preparing the blanks, sealing them, stacking & then restacking them that I did actually turning them.........and of course, putting one aside for a possible visitor next year :;:B

BobR
25th November 2008, 03:21 PM
Looking good Cliff. Looks like a long WIP.

rsser
25th November 2008, 03:49 PM
I think I spent more time preparing the blanks, sealing them, stacking & then restacking them that I did actually turning them.

Nothing like a boot load of 'free wood' :D

Pity about the time, the chainsaw, the endsealer, the space in the shed, the checking of the 'hatchlings' :doh:

Cliff Rogers
26th November 2008, 09:30 AM
........and of course, putting one aside for a possible visitor next year :;:B

There is still one big one buried in shavings on the floor in my shed, if it even HINTS that it might crack, it is going to get roughed out as well. :D

rsser
26th November 2008, 11:03 AM
Nobody commented on Cliff's infatuation with 5/8" bowl gouges ... :question:

TTIT
26th November 2008, 12:07 PM
Nobody commented on Cliff's infatuation with 5/8" bowl gouges ... :question:Good point - hmmmm - Maybe they're 'matched' to each chuck :shrug:

rsser
26th November 2008, 12:14 PM
Could be ... though isn't he even more infatuated with chucks??

btw Vern, would you mind measuring the cutter platform of that tool Cliff lent you? Depth, width, backslope angle? Would appreciate a PM.

Cliff Rogers
26th November 2008, 12:23 PM
Nobody commented on Cliff's infatuation with 5/8" bowl gouges ... :question:

I have 2 x Henry Taylor HS1 SuperFlutes & 2 x Crown copies of the same thing.

I used to have different grinds on some of them but they are now all very similar 'cos I found what works best for me.

I do a 'bulk' sharpen & then turn til they are all blunt. :D

rsser
26th November 2008, 01:16 PM
So the Qld maple is pretty abrasive Cliff?

dai sensei
26th November 2008, 02:02 PM
Very nice Cliff.

I struggle to even find the time for roughing out these days, as you say, so much time is spent cutting and sealing the blanks. My biggest problem is finding the space to put all the timber, but I am happy to have what I have. A lot is still in log form just because they are easier to stack & store.

rsser
26th November 2008, 02:15 PM
Yes, I find space a prob too.

When I can crawl again with the dodgy knee I'll be dragging rough-outs under the house. My theory is that they should be treated like you do with ageing wines.

TTIT
26th November 2008, 02:38 PM
......I'll be dragging rough-outs under the house........Geeez :C - hope you don't expect your visitors to do it for ya!:o

rsser
26th November 2008, 02:54 PM
heh heh, thanks for the tip Vern ole pal ;-}

Grumpy John
26th November 2008, 03:14 PM
Geeez :C - hope you don't expect your visitors to do it for ya!:o

Vern,
You're welcome to come over to my place for pre crissy drinks, we're on a concrete slab :D

Cliff Rogers
26th November 2008, 05:16 PM
So the Qld maple is pretty abrasive Cliff?
Not too bad, I could easily rough 2 bowls with one freshly sharpened gouge if they didn't have knots in them, 3 of those blanks had dead dry knots in them & that takes the sharp edge off in a hurry.

robutacion
28th November 2008, 11:54 PM
I agree with Cliff about the small percentage of time will take to rough-out green/wet timber, compared with the time will take to all other steps, mainly those before the blanks get actually turning on the lathe!
I most certainly know how it feels to have a bunch of logs slip, slabbed, rounded or not, sealed ready to be put away for a little longer, as you have other things to attend first, them all of a certain, noises start to echo in the shed walls and ceiling, that unmistakable cracking sound a wood splitting by itself, even in mild days, so the next thing is, all those pieces of freshly cut and sealed timber, are part of the job list for things to do "yesterday", yeah... not fun !:oo:

Apparently, storage space appears to be a common problem among Woodturners, I wonder why that is...?:doh::D. No, I have no mirrors at my place...!:wink:
I still think that turning green/wet timber with a nicely sharped tool, bits the hell out of hard, dry, dusty stuff, huh?

Cheers
RBTCO

artme
29th November 2008, 10:10 AM
People like you, Cliff, with free timber that turns out like that should be banned from posting.:D:D

Bulk sharpenning, bulk turning... What else do you deal with in bulk?