PDA

View Full Version : What's your favourite music genre?

silentC
23rd April 2004, 03:12 PM
We haven't had a poll for awhile...

Some people listen exclusively to one 'kind' of music and scorn all others. Some people listen to anything and everything. Some people believe that music is the work of the devil. So where do you fit in?

Some of my favourites in no particular order:

Frank Black (Pixies)
Pink Floyd
Frank Zappa
David Bowie
Michael Nyman
Schubert
The Jam
The Oils
LED ZEPPELIN
Deep Purple
Django Reinhardt
The Pogues
Red Hot Chilli Peppers

Flavour of the month: Jet and Queens of the Stone Age

ozwinner
23rd April 2004, 03:55 PM
I was thinking we havent had a Poll for awhile, maybe Stinky can't find the Poll button.

My fave at the moment are the Wiggles, and High 5.

Al :)

silentC
23rd April 2004, 03:57 PM
Oh yes, I discovered High 5 a couple of years ago. Is it wrong to enjoy it as much as I do?

craigb
23rd April 2004, 04:04 PM
Darren,

You don't have R&B on there. The real kind I mean, not the modern crud that they call R&B.

silentC
23rd April 2004, 04:11 PM
Not to mention Blues, Soul, and Funk all of which I love as well. I kind of lump them under 60's, 70's, 80's Rock. It's a bit hard when there's only 10 options. I s'pose I should have done away with the silly one that no-one will pick.

silentC
23rd April 2004, 04:12 PM
Hey look at that, it's magic!!

The power of the moderator is awesome indeed.....

:eek:

DaveInOz
23rd April 2004, 04:17 PM
Heavy metal
Punk
Reggae
Ska
Aussie Rock

ahhhhh screw it - 60's, 70's, 80's will have to do :)

BTW those hi-5 girls sure can move, Grrrrrrr :) :D

ozwinner
23rd April 2004, 04:19 PM
All you have to do is ask the moderators and poof. :D

Al

craigb
23rd April 2004, 04:28 PM
Darren,

At first I thought your new avatar was Ted Mulry (R.I.P) :) but I see that it's the guy from Spinal Tap.

BTW I got that out on DVD a few months ago. It's still very funny.

Craig

silentC
23rd April 2004, 04:44 PM
Ted Mulry! I went to see him at the Tathra Hotel in 1980 something.

I haven't watched Spinal Tap for years, I'll have to get it out. I played in a band very much like Spinal Tap in the 80's. We even had a song called 'Stonehenge'. The words were something like:

Stonehenge (big power chords),
Monumental Rock (awesome lead lick)

Terrible really. Don't know what we were thinking...

Rocker
23rd April 2004, 06:23 PM
Silent C,

Your poll short-changes classical, lumping it in with jazz. And, now that the the 10-variable limit has been lifted, it could easily be subdivided, with categories for Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, Handel, Gregorian chant, Baroque, Tchaichovski, Khachaturian, Opera, Gilbert and Sullivan, and so on. For some of us, the Beatles were after our time:)

Rocker

ozwinner
23rd April 2004, 06:27 PM
Gees Rocker. you must be ancient? :D

jackiew
23rd April 2004, 07:24 PM
Music is one of the things that make life worth living ... one of the cheapest pick me ups going. I don't know if i've encountered a genre that I could find nothing I liked ... although rap and house seem to be better in VERY small doses

even some of the "artificial" bands can be quite fun ... has anyone listened to the Monkees recently ... i picked up an album cheap recently and have to say they have has lasted quite well ( although have yet to play it to anyone who isn't old enough to remember the monkees ... so it might just be nostalgia kicking in )

to the great embarassment of my son I like what I describe as "jumping up and down music" ... punk, ska, irish ... something that makes you want to tap your feet and throw yourself about the dance floor ...

recommend Motorhead when you do the ironing ( not my favourite occupation I hasten to add )

do not recommend The Living End as the sound track when you play roller hockey ... our accident rate went sky high so its probably to be avoided while in the car or using power tools too

and if you really want to get someone out of bed on a Sunday morning my dad discovered Mahler at full blast worked a treat:)

Driver
23rd April 2004, 09:40 PM
Quick survey of what's currently loaded into the CD player in my car (in no particular order):-

2 Dire Straits albums
John Coltrane (very cool!)
Eric Clapton x 2 (both plugged and unplugged)
Rod Stewart
Paul Simon
Bob Seger
The Beatles
George Harrison
Ry Cooder
Steve Miller

I guess that places me firmly in the 60s, 70s & 80s rock category with a bit of jazz to salt the mix. I'm also partial to Beethoven and I've been known to listen to opera now and then (particularly Verdi). There are not many forms of music that I actively dislike. As a kid I had a pretty good grounding. Both my parents were musicians and the house was always full of music: live, canned and radio. Interestingly, neither I nor my two siblings can play a note on any instrument. However, we all love music and several of our children have some talent - it clearly skipped a generation.

Jackie - I reckon your dad's choice of Mahler as a Sunday morning reveille was inspired. About the only music I can think of that might be a more effective wake-up would be a Highland regiment pipe band at full throttle and point blank range. George McDonald Fraser writes feelingly about that experience in his book: "McAuslan In The Rough"

Col

AlexS
23rd April 2004, 11:39 PM
Aaaah, Saturday afternoon in the workshop, with ABC Radio National and 'Singers of Renown' turned up so I can hear it over the assorted machinery. Haven't had the neighbours complain yet, but...

Grunt
24th April 2004, 12:07 AM
I could live with SilentC's and Driver's taste in music plus

Bob Dylan
Neil Young
Jethro Tull
Miles Davis
Jimmy Cliff
Talking Heads
David Byrne
J.D. Lang
Pearl Jam
Techno et. al.
The Who
Steve Earle
Latin Dance Music
Roots Music - Check out http://www.abc.net.au/dig (great internet radio)
Leonard Cohen
Classical inc opera
etc. etc.

Basically anything exluding Rap, those sickly sweet girl singers, cookie cutter pop songs (Kylie etc.)

rodm
24th April 2004, 12:39 AM
Steeley Dan
Van Morrison
U2
Pink Floyd
The Doors
T Rex
and heaps of one off songs by artists that touch the soul, rev you up or remind you of a special event.
examples like
The Captain - Kasey Chambers
Unchained Melody - Rightous Brothers
Take a Long Line - The Angels
Forgiven not Forgotten - Corrs
Tusk - Fleetwoood Mac
etc, etc ,etc

Alix
24th April 2004, 01:15 AM
Meatloaf - played VERY LOUD

jackiew
24th April 2004, 09:19 AM
... and we shouldn't forget cajun/zydeco, great fun to dance to and any old twaddle sounds good when sung in french ...

Neil
24th April 2004, 01:24 PM
Long live Rock 'n' Roll

Shane Watson
24th April 2004, 03:00 PM
Hahah, I added to the poll, now looks like Neil did. Lets see what & Christopha add..! ;)

Iain
24th April 2004, 07:14 PM
Rocker, thankyou, my thoughts exactly, long live ABC FM.
I also know that shares these views although he probably won't admit it.
Neil, you bloody musical cretin, stick with Shellawax and other wonderful finishes;).
Long live Sanz, Bach, Vivaldi etc etc (they already have)

Driver
24th April 2004, 10:03 PM
When you start thinking about this, the question of musical genres becomes irrelevant. It's all good - just that some music is better.

Neil has made me feel guilty because, all other influences aside, what got me interested in music was the stuff that made me tap my feet when I was only half as high as I am now - back in the 50s.

Eddy Cochrane
Gene Vincent
The King! (Jailhouse Rock era - his best stuff by far. I reckon Douglas Adams was slightly off target when he had him singing Love Me Tender to Arthur and Ford in the domain of the king bar scene towards the end of "Mostly Harmless")
Jerry Lee Lewis
Chuck Berry
Little Richard
Buddy Holly (How could I have left him off the list? My first pair of glasses were modelled on his).

That stuff led to a later appreciation of the blues - influenced by some gentle prodding in that direction from my big brother.

Muddy Waters
Sonny Boy Williamson
John Lee Hooker
BB King

(Back in the early 80s I made friends with a cab driver in St Louis because of a mutual appreciation of some Muddy Waters growling out of his dashboard-mounted 8-track. After he dropped me off at my hotel, the concierge told me that was the first time for several years that he had seen an African-American cab driver carry someone's suitcase into the hotel. We were still debating the rival merits of Muddy Waters and John Lee Hooker as we crossed the lobby! Good bloke).

Ah! - golden memories. Music is the most evocative of all the arts, I reckon.

Col

Theva
24th April 2004, 11:07 PM
Rod Steward of the old rockers;

Guns & Roses, red hot chilli peppers, garbage, nickelback & emenem. Also have ABC’s top 100 clasic hits in the car.

Regards,

Theva

bob w
25th April 2004, 12:45 AM
Some of the early Metallica gets my blood flowing also John Butler trio and Korn.
But then I grew up with the Beatles so they get the nod as well.
Regards
Bob

nik
25th April 2004, 06:03 PM
what about Engelbert Humperdinck.....nah mates, just kiddin with ya, punk, punk and even more punk. And weirdly enough some of that international punk in diff languages (even though i can't understand it) it sometimes sounds pretty good to me. As long as it's got a good beat, and unfortunatly even though i have never even heard old engelbert, that name alone proves that his music has no taste. Now i don't mean to offend you engelbert fans out there, but seriously...what's with the name?

Larry M
26th April 2004, 01:07 AM
It's amazing how some things come together. I bought a new home theatre / 5 stacker CD combination on Friday and tonight I've loaded it with 5 Beatles CD's on random play while I check out the latest posts. The DG(Domestic Goddess) bought the full Beatles set for Xmas a few years ago.

Absolute Nirvana (the place, not the group)

Larry

Iain
26th April 2004, 09:18 AM
Engelbert Humperdinck stole the name from Engelbert Humperdinck who was a 19th century opera singer.
I don't recall going to any of his performances:p

AlexS
26th April 2004, 10:26 PM
I think (may be wrong) that the original Engeldink was a composer...'Pictures at an Exhibition' one of his works?

Driver
26th April 2004, 10:41 PM
That's right, Alex. He was a composer. Mostly of opera. His most well-known work was 'Hansel & Gretel'. He also wrote incidental music for Shakespeare's plays.

Don't think 'Pictures at an Exhibition" was one of his, though.

Col

echnidna
26th April 2004, 11:18 PM
... if we are now talking classical pieces Ray Stevens takes a lot of beating.
I'm sure you all recall the beautiful melody of "Ahab the Arab"

echnidna
26th April 2004, 11:23 PM
... and weird Al Yankovic's absolute classic
"There's Something Weird In The Fridge Today".

journeyman Mick
26th April 2004, 11:28 PM
Pictures at an exhibition was by Modeste Petrovich Moussorgsky. He also composed "Night on Bald Mountain" if you watched "Fantasia" that's the piece that the scene with all the witches and devils is set to, very dramatic music. Worth a listen, even to someone who grew up (well sort of) on Ska and Punk.

Mick

ivanavitch
27th April 2004, 01:43 AM
I checked my concerts so far this year

Queensland orchestra in the park
Rehersal for the ballet - Peer Gynt
Meatloaf
Deep Purple .. Billy Thorpe supporting
Got tickets on my desk for the opera (Carmen)

Most of my CDs are 60s, 70s but also love Paul Robeson, Nina Simone.

I dunno... everthing except cRAP.

John Scott

jackiew
27th April 2004, 11:18 AM
gigs attended so far in 2004,

the real mackenzies - canadian scottish punk ( and we found out what is not worn under the kilt! )

dropkick murphies - american irish punk
paladins + bill kirchen - rock-a-billy
von bodies - american, sort of pop rock I suppose
the dirtbombs - r&b

tickets bought but not seen yet

the mikado
swan lake

missed seeing

Richard Thompson
Burning Spear

Iain
27th April 2004, 08:03 PM
Shuffle shuffle, may I have sauce with the humble pie, I actually knew that but the response was posted in haste.
Anyway I'm bloody classical guitarist not an opera buff although do tolerate some Operetta.

bob w
28th April 2004, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by echnidna
... if we are now talking classical pieces Ray Stevens takes a lot of beating.
I'm sure you all recall the beautiful melody of "Ahab the Arab"

Not to mention that RS evergreen "The Streak"
Regards
Bob:rolleyes:

silentC
28th April 2004, 09:07 AM
We Built This City was recently voted worst song ever. Achy Breaky Heart came second.

What about:

One Eyed One Horned Flying Purple People Eater
Itsy Witsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini

Driver
28th April 2004, 11:34 AM
Not to mention "McArthur Park" by Richard Harris. The only thing I can think of that might be worse would be a cover version by Rolf Harris!

bob w
28th April 2004, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Driver
Not to mention "McArthur Park" by Richard Harris. The only thing I can think of that might be worse would be a cover version by Rolf Harris!

Not too loud, he might hear you. Any cover by Rolf would be enough to give me an Achey Breaky Heart.
Arghh
Bob

Christopha
2nd May 2004, 07:26 PM
Christopha was 'ere.

What sort of weird pervert would include "Country" or "Western" in a poll about music?:confused:

AlexS
2nd May 2004, 10:43 PM
Wierdest words to a song? Ooh eee ooh ah ah, ting tang wallah wallah bing bang....etc from "my friend the witchdoctor", ca 1950.

bob w
3rd May 2004, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by AlexS
Wierdest words to a song? Ooh eee ooh ah ah, ting tang wallah wallah bing bang....etc from "my friend the witchdoctor", ca 1950.

Would you believe I have that on a SQUARE cardboard record and it still plays.
Bob:confused:

derekcohen
4th May 2004, 12:06 PM
I found it hard to clasify my tastes in one category. I can say ..

Predomoinantly jazz, with the greatest jazz pianist at the top - Bill Evans - but ranging from bee-bop jazz to heavy progressive jazz. Stefan Grapelli and Oscar Peterson (both on a Saturday morning for some reason), John Coltrane, Miles Davis ... the list is endless.

Sometimes I cannot tell the difference between jazz and classic.

Blues and more blues. I have recordings that go back to the early 1920's.

Blues-inspired metal, such as Stevie Ray Vaughn. Best late at night.

Blues-inspired rock, such as Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. Theirs was one of the best concerts I ever attended.

Jazz-inspired pop, such as Steely Dan and Van Morrison. Best in the car.

Enjoy it all.

Regards from Perth

Derek

silentC
4th May 2004, 12:56 PM
What this all reveals is that some people are very definite about their tastes, others are not.

For example, I occasionally fill in with a local band when their usual drummer is not available. These guys do not play anything that was penned any later than 1969. They describe it as "rock - you know, all the good stuff". In other words, there's no value in anything written during the 70's or later (possibly debatable). They don't listen to the radio or watch TV or buy CDs. Time for them stopped at midnight New Year's Eve, 1969.

Other people just love music, no matter what you call it.

It is very hard to jam all forms of music into pigeonholes. There's so much 'borrowing' that goes on, the edges are always going to be blurred.

The term "Classical Music" is interesting. Most people think of orchestras, string quartets, opera and so on. In fact, this term is a generic one that defines a piece of music that is representative of it's class. Like when you say "that is a classic blues tune". During the 1700's and 1800's music composing was a much more structured thing and there were a lot of rules about what made it a good piece of music. So it is very much easier to classify each composer, but it still tends to be defined in terms of 'periods'.

But where do you fit someone like Frank Zappa?

Zed
4th May 2004, 02:22 PM
2 words : Frank Zappa.

Sir Stinkalot
4th May 2004, 02:30 PM
There was no "alternative" .... the music style ..... not another choice .... So I am now the only one who listens to Death Metal. So for anybody else interested "Heavy Metal, Death Metal etc..." now also includes ..... alternative, grunge, industrial and goth. Perhaps our new pollmaster can post a radio station quiz. I would be either Triple J or 774 ABC Melbourne (Local ABC Radio). I just want to make sure I get value from my 2c per day.

silentC
4th May 2004, 02:31 PM
"Billy was a mountain, Ethel was a tree growing off of his shoulder."

Strange lyrics from a man who claims never to have 'done drugs'.

Interviewer: Is it possible to say where you get your musical influences from?
Frank Zappa: Sometimes you get it from chicken. Sometimes from coffee.

Sir Stinkalot
4th May 2004, 02:36 PM
SilentC

Do you feel somewhat disgruntled that the bulletin board hierarchy seem to have the powers to increase the number of poll choices above the standard 10 offered to us mere mortals? Do you sometimes that your poll creativity is hindered by the restrictive regime of only 10 options?

Stinky x10

Relax its all tongue in cheek
:p

silentC
4th May 2004, 02:41 PM
Yes I do. In fact I'd like to create a poll on how many poll options people think we should be allowed to have.

I mean, this poll has become a travesty, a mockery of it's former self, through the indiscriminate meddling of the administrators.

Given the choice, I would've had options for 'Polka', 'Ragtime', and 'Ant Music' (what ever happened to that?).

I blame the 10 option limit for the total failure of this poll to highlight anything of any use to anyone...

craigb
4th May 2004, 03:24 PM
'Ant Music' (what ever happened to that?).

I think that Adam Ant started "hearing voices" and ended up getting himself sectioned. (seriously)

Mind you, that episode was relatively recent. Ant music died in the **** about 25 years ago due to being crap.

Craig

silentC
4th May 2004, 03:27 PM
Harsh but fair...

:D

Zed
4th May 2004, 03:47 PM
wasnt adam ant recently convicted of being a rock spider ?

re poll options : why doesnt Frank get his own category ? this is shameful business indeed. (please mr moderator I cant vote unless frank gets his own category...

dont foget the moral of Billy the mountain : "dont F* with mountains"

I prefer the "illinois enema bandit" or "wonderful wino" even some of the whimsical and lyric free stuff from "Lather" or "Sleep dirt"

silentC
4th May 2004, 03:51 PM
... and who could forget the heart-wrenching "why does it hurt when I pee?"

The man was a genius. My favourite album is the unfashionable "Ship Arriving Too Late To Save A Drowing Witch", featuring an excellent round on the dddddrums by Chad Wackerman.

Zed
4th May 2004, 03:57 PM
if you like Chads drumming you should get a copy (unless you already have one) of "does humour belong in music" . I went to a drum clinic once where Terry Bozio was the star attraction and Chad Wackerman was also there. I got both thier autographs on my copy of "the real Frank Zappa book". Chad wrote "Regards" but Terry wrote "From the guy with the pointy tail and the sulfer reek" (reference to titties and beer...)

Get a copy of "You cant do that on stage anymre volume three" and listen to track 3(?) on disc 2 called "Hands with a Hammer" AWESOME!!!.

Frank used to say his "best drummer" was Vinnie Coliuta - if you listen to "Joes Garage" you can hear why....

silentC
4th May 2004, 04:35 PM
Haven't got a copy but I've seen the video.

I missed a Chad Wackerman drum clinic at Mackins Music in Melbourne about 17 years ago by about 24 hours - had to go home the next day. Saw his kit though. Lots of things to hit...

Do you play, or are you just a groupie? ;)

craigb
4th May 2004, 04:36 PM
wasnt adam ant recently convicted of being a rock spider ?

I think you're thinking of Gary Glitter. Unless it was that guy from the Bay City Rollers.

In my yoof, I was a big Frank Zappa fan, saw him at the Hordern Pavillion in '73 (now I go there to attend the wood show... hmm maybe I AM getting old), anyhow listening to him today, I have to say that I find his music rather dated.

Having said that though, my vote for favorite FZ record would be Weasels Ripped my Flesh with the Captain.

silentC
4th May 2004, 04:38 PM
:eek:

craigb
4th May 2004, 05:04 PM
Darren,

Lost for words?
Now that IS a first :D

I also saw Flo and Eddie back in the '70's too.

Great show, but they didn't do Magdelana, much to my dissapointment.

silentC
4th May 2004, 05:22 PM
Ah yes, the maple syrup song... I had that album on a bootleg cassette with Billy the Mountain on t'other side.

How can you call that dated? Tsk Tsk :(

PJP
4th May 2004, 06:49 PM
I'am trying to visualise those days and unfortunally I vivedly recall
Frank Zappa , still got an album some were.Thank god those days are gone(I'm wishing my life away).
Off memory a schooner was about $0.30, packet of cigs was $1.00?(used to smoke),and my take home pay was around $100.(can't remember wheather that was weekly or not but it was still crap).

Back to the real music and I think that "Driver" has pretty well hit the nail on the head however when I'm in my shed I listen to what ever is on the radio and love the footy on weekends.

Driver
4th May 2004, 08:16 PM
Couple of random thoughts:-

Mick mentioned "Night on Bald Mountain" by Moussorgsky. I agree that it's a magnificent moody piece but also, what a great title! You know the music will be powerful from the title alone.

Here's one from left field. David Bowie wrote "The Man Who Sold the World". His version of it is quite good. Nirvana did a cover - not bad. But if you want to hear a really good, interesting and powerful version of it: Lulu. That's right: Lulu, short Scottish person. In my opinion, it's the only thing she's ever recorded that's got genuine merit. (All right, I'll concede that "Shout" is a good dance number).

Col

Driver
4th May 2004, 11:13 PM
A couple of people have mentioned good concerts. Here's a memory:

In the early 80s I was living and working in the Middle East. I worked throughout the region but was based in Bahrain. Tina Turner was scheduled to put on a concert at the Hilton Hotel. It sold out in a hurry but we got tickets. A whole mob of Yanks travelled over from Dahran and Al Khobar in Saudi Arabia. (You can drink alcohol in Bahrain, incidentally).

Picture the scene: before the concert started there was a black tie dinner. We all sat there in the Hilton ballroom, looking very formal, eating the rubber chicken and making polite conversation. As the waiters cleared away the coffee cups, the MC parted curtains on the stage, stepped out and said: "Ladies and gentlemen - Miss Tina Turner!" He stepped off the stage, the curtains parted and there was Tina on a little tiny stage with two dancing girls and a 5-piece band.

They went straight into "River Deep, Mountain High".

Man, she blew the walls out! Within 30 seconds, the black jackets were off, the bow ties were askew and the half of the room that weren't dancing on top of the tables were giving it heaps all round the perimeter. Sensational! Best concert I've ever experienced - bar none.

Col

woodymarts
6th June 2004, 02:58 AM
hi,
i love savage garden they r ace ,+darren hayse and inxses.
great
woodymarts

Kev Y.
6th June 2004, 10:34 AM
Oh yes, I discovered High 5 a couple of years ago. Is it wrong to enjoy it as much as I do?

silentC.. it would only be wrong if you were watching Hi 5 for the MUSIC or the BOYS in the band... my favourite is Kellie :p ;) :cool:

Kev

Kev Y.
6th June 2004, 10:38 AM
And just for the record, I am currently listening to the following:

Neil Diamond : In My LifeTime
Van Morrison: best of Vol 1& 2
Various movie sound tracks
Millsie (thanks to my 14 year old daughter)
DiDo
Wings
Annie Lennox
Billy Joel

:o

Kev

beejay1
5th March 2005, 07:12 PM
coming in a bit late on this one but not many of you like the stuff i like so here goes. My tastes are mainly in Jazz, not the trad crap, and in particular Jazz vocal, piano and guitar.
Also love big band/swing music and best of all for me are all the fabulous vocalists of the 40,s through to the current day in popular music with the graets like sinatra,fitzgerald,bennett,darin,etc etc just too many to mention.
I have a collection of over 800 cd,s and dont know how many tapes and vynil and Im really lucky cause I litsen to them all day in the office and in the workshop when i get out there.
Classical music i find really beautiful, try sitting in a quiet dark room, relax and play something like Massenet's Thais-Meditation and it will touch every nerve in your body and bring tears to your eyes. good music does that to you if you really listen, its like poetry....getting wet again!
Suppose really I like most music thats well written and orchestrated and makes me listen to it.
beejay1

http://community.webshots.com/user/eunos9

beejay1
5th March 2005, 07:19 PM
And just for the record, I am currently listening to the following:

Neil Diamond : In My LifeTimeKev
Hey Kev, I was at his concert in Sydney in the early 70's absolutley fantastic!
Still listen to the "hot august night" album on a regular basis. Terrific song writer.
beejay1

OtakiriLad
5th March 2005, 07:27 PM
I confess to enjoying classical music providing it doesn't involve singing (or at least I think its called singing but with it usually in a foreign language and pitched at dog whistle levels who can tell).

Tikki
5th March 2005, 07:47 PM
Lee Kernaghan, Kasey Chambers, Adam Harvey and more Lee Kernaghan :D

MathewA
5th March 2005, 09:17 PM
It's quite something how music can affect you.

I never used to like clasical until I was with friends staying in an apartment in Rome. Jerry the guy I was traveling with found a station that was playing classical piano. I was hooked within 5 mins. Now, if I can't sleep I put on a classical cd of mixed composers. I'm usually out before the forth song. The first time I heard Pachelbel's Cannon in D I thought this is what I want to be listening to the moment I die (hopefuly later than sooner) I'm gonna have a medic alert bracelet made up the says in case of emergency play Pachelbel.

I had a creative writing instructor in college once that was what I first thought was "way out there" She had everyone close their eyes and "open their minds" and listen closely to the snippets of different music she was going to play for us and to write down what we saw and felt in our "minds eye". First thing I'm thinking is "when is she going to bring out the hooka and kilo of dope. It was quite an eye opener to hear how the music affected each person. The music invoked very similar visions and feelings in everyone. One thing I couldn't figure out though was why I had a real bad case of the munchies after!?!?:D

MathewA
5th March 2005, 09:31 PM
By the sounds of it, there are no Britney fans here.... Or at least not until she takes her cloths off:D

MathewA
5th March 2005, 09:39 PM
If yer a blues fan and don't know it yet Fleetwood Macs early stuff is something you might want to look for. The album that switched me onto blues was their Double CD Fleetwood Mac in Chicago 1969.

Driver
5th March 2005, 11:31 PM
One of my nephews in England (who knows Uncle Col shares the same eclectic musical tastes as he) sent me a CD via my daughter when she came back from a Christmas holiday in the old country.

The CD is called "The Devil's Music" and its a compilation selected by Keith Richards of music that has influenced him over the years.

It's great! It's a mixture of blues, rock, boogie-woogie, soul, R&B, reggae and jazz. There are tracks by Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, Little Richard, Otis Redding, Booker T, Tina Turner and the unforgettable Professor Longhair and his Shuffling Hungarians!

Col

adrian
9th March 2005, 09:12 PM
Used to play rhythm and blues in the sixties. Still don't remember much about it so it must have been good.
I'm listening to Pink Floyd's Pulse CD at the moment and to my dying day I will regret not getting to see them play live. If they ever do another concert anywhere in the world , I'm there.

Gingermick
27th March 2005, 02:14 PM
my tastes are mainly in Jazz, not the trad crap,
beejay1
You wouldn't be refering to Miles Davis as crap would you?

beejay1
27th March 2005, 06:41 PM
You wouldn't be refering to Miles Davis as crap would you?
Not at all, i stated Trad as in traditional, as in Dixieland as in the likes of Kenny Ball etc.
Miles Davis falls into what I would class as free jazz or blues jazz which is the kind of music I like. That said, there is some of Davis's work that I would have to say I dont like, He was a most accomplished trumpet/flugelhorn player but some of his interpretations are beyond what I would class as enjoyable.
beejay1

Gingermick
27th March 2005, 09:53 PM
Yes I agree.
Mick

Woodlice
28th March 2005, 02:10 AM
I like my Metal a little more serious than "Im angry coz I didnt get my pocket money..." mall / nu metal. And a little more sophisticated than "puncture wound intercourse" gore/grind death.

In short if the music sets the mood for burning churches then you will find me there, though likely it will be because I like mocking anything satanic (or Christian for that matter.)

Burzum, Immortal, Emperor, Satyricon and anything along those lines. If anyone wants a list of the albums I have message me.

And yes, Im teaching your children science, muahahaha!!!!!!! :D

J!

Gingermick
28th March 2005, 12:19 PM
Not at all, i stated Trad as in traditional, as in Dixieland
I have smoke gets in your eyes done by louis armstrong. I have no idea how old i is and had usually not associated him smaller ensemble, no singing etc. I tend to like trumpets and sax played very fast (Coltrane , lee morgan). Not as much as that sound Miles was capable of though.
With louis, I had only heard his dixie stuff when I played trumpet. Wasn't really keen, but i heard that track above and remembered that he was famous for his horn first.

Guitar jazz, like John McLaughlin. Or not?
Mick

beejay1
28th March 2005, 08:23 PM
I have smoke gets in your eyes done by louis armstrong. I have no idea how old i is and had usually not associated him smaller ensemble, no singing etc. I tend to like trumpets and sax played very fast (Coltrane , lee morgan). Not as much as that sound Miles was capable of though.
With louis, I had only heard his dixie stuff when I played trumpet. Wasn't really keen, but i heard that track above and remembered that he was famous for his horn first.
Guitar jazz, like John McLaughlin. Or not?
Mick
I think both Coltrane and McLaughlin played with Davis for a while certainly Coltrane did for a couple of years. Mclaughlin,,extremely talented player and some I like but in the main not tuneful enough for me. Im more into Hall,lagrene,farlow,pass,taylor,burrell, carlton and montgomery. also like a lot of spanish guitarmusic. BTW, im pretty sure that Mclaughlin is a yorkshireman so I hope that doesnt put you off himhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon7.gif
beejay1

Iain
28th March 2005, 09:25 PM
also like a lot of spanish guitarmusic.
Very broad, more info, I play a lot of Spanish guitar music and it ranges from simplistic to extremely complex (almost like Bach).
Some examples please.

Iain
28th March 2005, 09:33 PM
What are classics???????????????

What happened??? this is what I rsponded to
Hello Iain,

46150 has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - What's your favourite music genre? - in the POLLS forum of Woodwork Forums.

This thread is located at:
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=8452&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:
And what's wrong with the classics? If you have a "poll", lets encompass the entire genre! Regards .................AL

Grunt
28th March 2005, 09:35 PM
What are classics???????????????

Anything by ABBA? :D

28th March 2005, 09:36 PM
Thank you rocker,if you are going to have a "poll" lets isolate some of the genre to a more broader sphere...........Regards.........AL

beejay1
29th March 2005, 01:36 AM
Very broad, more info, I play a lot of Spanish guitar music and it ranges from simplistic to extremely complex (almost like Bach).
Some examples please.I dont play iain only listen. Spanish favourites would have to be Rodrigo (Concierto de Aranjuez) and Tarrega (Recuerdos de la Alhambra) Also like some Villa-Lobos but I think he was S. American.
Classical , not too much but Paganini (grand sonata in A) is nice' and some Mendelssohn.
Guitarists, Williams, Bream, Segovia and more recent, Ricardo Silveira agin not Spanish but spanish hint and very nice to listen to to play I would imagine. Try his album "Storyteller" you might like it.
beejay1

derekcohen
29th March 2005, 02:56 AM
beejay1

I think you may appreciate some of my own preferences.

Mostly jazz with a fair sprinking of blues.

Anything by Bill Evans, possibly the greatest jazz pianist ever.

Monty Alexander (for his spirit of Duke Ellington).

Duke Ellington.

Miles Davis. Gad, I have a lot of his albums. Who doesn't know "Sketches of Spain" and "Kind of Blue". Much prefer his earlier years.

Dollar Brand (I cannot recall his new name).

Billy Holliday.

Coleman Hawkins.

John Coltraine (with or without Milt Jackson).

Charlie Parker.

Nina Simone (a most underrated pianist - take a listen to "Little Girl Blue").

Mose Allison (he's fun).

Thelonious Monk (but it must be late, around midnight).

The later years: Chick Corea, Herby Hancock, Weather Report, Gary Burton.

I could go on and on. It's hugely boring for most. While I listen these days to CDs, I still fire up my LPs (on the 35 year old highly modified Thorens TD150, Rega arm and Supex moving coil) and enjoy the sound much more. I think that I last bought an LP 20 years ago (they have not been available in Australia in that time), but still have about 500 or so.

The best thing about using handtools is that you can listen to good music while you work.

Regards from Perth

Derek

beejay1
29th March 2005, 04:53 AM
I think you may appreciate some of my own preferences.
Mostly jazz with a fair sprinking of blues.

Nice selection there Derek. You must be phsycic or into voodoo or something. As I read your post I was listening to Bill Evans's Waltz for Debbyhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon7.gif and before that,,John Coltrane and Johhny hartman, 1963,, very nice album.
Dollar Brand,aka Abdullah Ibrahim i like but only have a few tracks recorded off radio. Hancock, Weather report yes good stuff,,Gary Burton I think is excellent,,I bought my first album of him in Sydney in 1973. Corea,,hmmm.
Billie Holliday what can you say,,you can see her whole life through her singing, from very happy to desperately sad, you can feel her pain almost.
Like your taste a lot Derek, we could chat for hours I think. Interesting isnt it how many of your favourites cossed paths and played with each other at some point,, and thats only a few of them as you know.I like most of the other artists youve listed as well but confess I dont know much about Allison.
Like you, i have something playing most times in the shop and often pull out the old vinyl, its nice to hear the odd hiss and click.
Liking Piano as you do, have a listen to Keith Jarrett I think you will enjoy,Tokyo 96 and The melody at night with you are both excellent.http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif
beejay1

Iain
29th March 2005, 08:22 AM
Beejay, not a lover of Williams and Segovia has not done an album for a while (poor tatste I know) but have a listen to the Romero family and Yepes, I like Bream, the others are Linberg and Odette who are Lute players very good.
Also if you are into ancient music try Philip Pickett (Alchemist), Baltimore Consort (Watkins Ale) and Anthony Rooley The Consort of Musicke (Morley Ayres and Madrigals).
The other comnposer of note who now writes Spanish Madrigal is JOhn Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin fame (Stairway to Heaven) which comes up very well on classical guitar.
Derek, have you considered saving your LP's to CD, not a difficult process.

Gingermick
29th March 2005, 08:41 AM
I think both Coltrane and McLaughlin played with Davis for a while certainly Coltrane did for a couple of years. Mclaughlin,,extremely talented player and some I like but in the main not tuneful enough for me. Im more into Hall,lagrene,farlow,pass,taylor,burrell, carlton and montgomery. also like a lot of spanish guitarmusic. BTW, im pretty sure that Mclaughlin is a yorkshireman so I hope that doesnt put you off himhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon7.gif
beejay1

Yes, some of Coltrane/Davis work was a little less than tuneful. For some tunes from McLaughlin try and find Friday night in San Francisco. Its just three guitars, nothing else. Extraordinary. http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif
I'm always in the market for something else to listen to.
Cheershttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon12.gif
mick

Gingermick
1st April 2005, 11:05 PM
Used to play rhythm and blues in the sixties. Still don't remember much about it so it must have been good. I'm listening to Pink Floyd's Pulse CD at the moment and to my dying day I will regret not getting to see them play live. If they ever do another concert anywhere in the world , I'm there.
But Roger's gone and without him they just seemed to lack the focus on the album.

Gingermick
1st April 2005, 11:13 PM
I dunno... everthing except cRAP.

John Scott[/QUOTE]
I dont think any of us like crap

Gingermick
1st April 2005, 11:16 PM
Wasn't it ding dang lot ting tanhhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon11.gif

Glenmore
2nd April 2005, 03:00 PM
Hey I didn't see Jimi Hendrix, Canned heat, Kinks, Rolling Stones. I went to see the Eagles just 3 weeks ago it is there farewell tour. Will see if they can beat the Rolling Stones farewell tour. The show was priceless. Oh yeah what about the Who.

adrian
2nd April 2005, 03:29 PM
But Roger's gone and without him they just seemed to lack the focus on the album.
Bite your tongue :eek:

adrian
2nd April 2005, 03:34 PM
[QUOTE=Glenmore]Hey I didn't see Jimi Hendrix, Canned heat, Kinks, Rolling Stones. I went to see the Eagles just 3 weeks ago it is there farewell tour. Will see if they can beat the Rolling Stones farewell tour. The show was priceless. Oh yeah what about the Who.[/QUOTE
I saw the Who in Sydney in 1968 and they were awesome. The Small Faces were one of the support bands. It doesn't get any better than that.

Glenmore
3rd April 2005, 05:50 AM
[QUOTE=Glenmore]Hey I didn't see Jimi Hendrix, Canned heat, Kinks, Rolling Stones. I went to see the Eagles just 3 weeks ago it is there farewell tour. Will see if they can beat the Rolling Stones farewell tour. The show was priceless. Oh yeah what about the Who.[/QUOTE
I saw the Who in Sydney in 1968 and they were awesome. The Small Faces were one of the support bands. It doesn't get any better than that.
That must have been cool they don't make music like the stuff from the 50's and 60's like that anymore. Can't stand the new stuff. I'm like my father I'd blare Hendrix, Black sabath and he'd be yelling to turn it down. Well it's my turn with my own kids funny huh.:eek:

Gingermick
3rd April 2005, 05:47 PM
Well it's my turn with my own kids funny huh.:eek:

Its not the music my eldest kid listens to its the bloody play station. Always at him to get outside and failing that at least turn it down
mick