PDA

View Full Version : Fler Armchair restoration - joinery and upholstery adive needed.

erikus
26th November 2008, 03:35 PM
Hello All

I just picked up 2 Fler armchair frames. (Please see frame example and pics of what I would Love for the chairs to look like in the end.)
They are in good condition but am considering refinishing them because they obviously need upholstering from scratch also. Other tan that just one of the joints needs re gluing and clamping.

Q: How is it best to refinish the frames - removing the current finish and apply maybe a danish oil or wax? The timber is blackwood I believe.

Q: Who knows an exceptional and passionate upholsterer in the Sydney area that would love to work on the cushioning?

Q: Can anyone point me to an internet resource to show how the upholstery was originally constructed? My chairs originally had some kind of fabric over the back springs - maybe even the chair springs before the cushions are applied.

Any help or suggestions gratefully received.

Yours Erik

astrid
26th November 2008, 08:11 PM
hello all

i just picked up 2 fler armchair frames. (please see frame example and pics of what i would love for the chairs to look like in the end.)
they are in good condition but am considering refinishing them because they obviously need upholstering from scratch also. Other tan that just one of the joints needs re gluing and clamping.

Q: How is it best to refinish the frames - removing the current finish and apply maybe a danish oil or wax? The timber is blackwood i believe.

yes, but use a sealer coat of shellac if they are blackwood

q: Who knows an exceptional and passionate upholsterer in the sydney area that would love to work on the cushioning?

that would be tellin:d

q: Can anyone point me to an internet resource to show how the upholstery was originally constructed? My chairs originally had some kind of fabric over the back springs - maybe even the chair springs before the cushions are applied.

A any good (but not neccessarily passionate) upholsterer over 50 should be familiar with the style

any help or suggestions gratefully received.

Yours erik

:d

Andrew_B
29th November 2008, 07:32 AM
a new upholstory place opened up around the corner recently...
well i am pretty sure they do upholstory restorations,
liverpool rd, strathfield sth...

only looked in the window... some nice looking stuff in there....

BernieP
30th November 2008, 09:22 PM
G'Day Erik

List of upholster repairers http://www.homeimprovementpages.com.au/home_maintenance/Upholstery_Repair?utm_source=overture&utm_medium=ppc&utm_content=upholstery&OVRAW=reupholster&OVKEY=reupholster&OVMTC=standard&OVADID=5099759542&OVKWID=65236510042

Cheers
Bernie

nmariette
4th July 2010, 01:13 PM
Hi Erikus,

I know it is a couple of years since your post, but I was trying to find out more about the spring system on these chairs....

(I'm looking at buying a similar chair with same spring system).

How do you know that this chair is a FLER?
Is there a maker's mark?

Any info on your chair frame would be fantastic.

Thanks!
Nick

Joe Townsville
23rd August 2010, 09:37 PM
I've dabbled in upholstery over the years. My best achievement is a pair of large, library style wing chairs. I currently have two projects on the go.

The first is three utility style armchairs. The arms are timber and screw into the seat and back. The Boss (it's official, it's on the doors of her ute!) bought them at the tip for $15 each. I'm using traditional materials. (Well, I cheated with one, and used foam. I won't make that mistake again).

The second project is much more complex. I'm reupholstering a chesterfield sofa. That's a real challenge.

I have, of course, referred to restoration books. For upholstery, the one I have at the moment (from our local library), is by Desmond Gaston. It's called "Upholstery, a practical guide." It was published in 1993, by Harper Collins.

From your original picture, I would say that your chair uses tension springs. They were introduced after WW2 (I think) to make it quick (and therefore cheap) for mass production.

Mike Busby
26th August 2010, 03:36 PM
Every Army and RAAF Married Quarter in Townsville had a minimum of 4 of these in every house.

I threw 6 out about 10 years ago including a 3 seat lounge but you should still be able to find plenty of them around the second hand shops which you might be able to use for spare parts.