PDA

View Full Version : Big bore follow up

TTIT
29th November 2008, 01:05 AM
Thought I'd start a new thread instead of bumping one that's nearly 2 years old - takes me a while to get round to these things :C
Those with really good memories might remember me looking for a better way to bore a big hole down a split-turning back in this thread (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=44501). About a year ago I got around to making the centreing guide for the saw-tooth bit and waited:B until I was facing a deadline for a competition to try it out - worked like a charm :U
The pics tell the story - the same principal could be used for other big holes too. The only problem I ran into was the second piece (Yarran) was a bit tight on the guide and the Gidgee guide started to burn :o, but only down to a diameter that would get through anyway :U
The finished dispenser at the back is from Sally wattle and the front one is Yarran. The end caps are Cotton Poplar which is really furry and tears out easy but I taught myself a new way of cutting beads to get around it. No good at explaining these things but it uses the wings of the spindle gouge - backwards sorta :shrug:

artme
29th November 2008, 04:49 AM
Well done TTIT!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Nothing like a problem and a deadline for inspiration.

joe greiner
29th November 2008, 11:04 PM
Even Works-In-(Non)-Progress can yield to deadline pressure, eh? Thanks for the inspiration, Vern. Might break up some of my log-jams.

Joe

hughie
29th November 2008, 11:12 PM
:U nice one Vern!

Ed Reiss
30th November 2008, 01:22 PM
Very nicely done TTIT:2tsup:

Where do you get the material cut-off blades?

TTIT
9th December 2008, 11:44 PM
Very nicely done TTIT:2tsup:

Where do you get the material cut-off blades?Meant to get to this weeks ago - sorry Ed! I usually get them from a mob that demo them at our agri-field days but I have also seen them on Ebay at times. This aussie website (http://www.homecare.com.au/catalogue/default.fwx?action=pv&promo=HA81A&prodcode=KH32&category=) has them but I'm sure you could find them somewhere in the US. I just saw off the tab that is supposed to clip into the carton on the tablesaw.:2tsup:

masoth
9th December 2008, 11:55 PM
Beautiful work displayed on your web site, and thanks for the explanation accompaning the wip's.

soth

Ed Reiss
10th December 2008, 12:57 AM
Thanks TTIT ....will have to burn Google for a bit to find the cutter.:cool:

mongrell
20th December 2008, 05:54 PM
congratulations vern, on taking out the tourist gift award at the australian wood desighn exhibition with this nifty gadget.:wink: